28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Default 2005-2006 Ford GT40

Has anyone here actually purchased one of these cars?

I'm thinking about it, but there doesn't seem to be much interest here - just wondering why. Oh, I know that it would be best to have one of the old one but that's not an option with a kit the only other option - but I've no talent in that area - builiding one.

Input will be appreciated.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40

other than a resemblance, the 2 cars, gt40 and Ford GT have nothing in common. Kind of like buying a ZO6 instead of the Cobra, 2 different animals. The Ford is definitly an easier car to live with day to day, but it is no GT40.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default Ford GT

Do you mean the Ford GT, they cannot be called GT-40 because Ford no longer owns the name. If that is the car you mean, I purchased one about a year and a half ago. It is an excellent car and superior to anything in a kit or fot that matter the original. The engine and chassis are engineered to the nth degree and are very reliabe. Handling is so precise it makes you a better driver than you are and it has a top speed of 205 MPH (regulated). The car incorporates true ground effects and has a rear diffuser and front shelf that work at speed. I have driven the car 162 MPH on a narrow and highly crowned bumpy road and was able to stay in my lane which speaks volumes about it's stability. The transaxle is so efficient that power loss throgh it is on the order of 5%, this means that a bone stock car will have about 535 hp at the tires. If you want more power they make undersize pulleys or oversize twin screw super chargers that will boost power beyond what most people can or would use. The chassis stiffness in bending and torsion puts the original to shame. You could change the alinement settings, lower the car, put in some racing shocks and springs and a set of Hoosier radials and kick a** at any track day. In short I believe you would be very happy with a Ford GT.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE

If I had my choice I'd go with the new factory 'Ford GT'. It is better engineered than the original...maybe better engineered than most any car ever produced for street use...and it will become a rare and collectable performance car and most definitely will increase in value when Ford ceases production. I don't know the production figures, but it will most likely be fewer than most high performance cars produced in the last forty years.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

ugly compared to a MK1 gt40 however
Old 05-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170
Do you mean the Ford GT, they cannot be called GT-40 because Ford no longer owns the name. If that is the car you mean, I purchased one about a year and a half ago. It is an excellent car and superior to anything in a kit or fot that matter the original. The engine and chassis are engineered to the nth degree and are very reliabe. Handling is so precise it makes you a better driver than you are and it has a top speed of 205 MPH (regulated). The car incorporates true ground effects and has a rear diffuser and front shelf that work at speed. I have driven the car 162 MPH on a narrow and highly crowned bumpy road and was able to stay in my lane which speaks volumes about it's stability. The transaxle is so efficient that power loss throgh it is on the order of 5%, this means that a bone stock car will have about 535 hp at the tires. If you want more power they make undersize pulleys or oversize twin screw super chargers that will boost power beyond what most people can or would use. The chassis stiffness in bending and torsion puts the original to shame. You could change the alinement settings, lower the car, put in some racing shocks and springs and a set of Hoosier radials and kick a** at any track day. In short I believe you would be very happy with a Ford GT.
Yes, I did mean the Ford GT, so I learned something new today - it's not a GT-40! ENTDOC sure has a different opinion, but that's what makes the world go around. Since I don't have the skills to build a kit GT-40 or the interest, I'm seriously thinking of going with the GT.

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for your car? Does it have the "4 options"?
Old 05-26-2007, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default Ford GT

I paid 170k to a dealer in Md. I think it was about 184 out the door with tax license and shipping, it has all the options, insurance is about 1,800 a year. My car has about 2000 miles on it because I don't drive it a lot; it is like a Cobra, you don't just leave it in a parking lot. You have to be a little careful on cold days too, because the car can actually make about 600hp at the wheels due to cold dense air, and improved intercooler function. I have owned both a 2002 Z06 and a 2005 Viper and they did not compare in drivability or handling. It pulls like crazy up to 180 mph then levels off a little but is still pulling at a good rate of acceleration. If you can get a ride in one I think you will be sold. The only negative I can think of is changing the oil and filter. It is quite involved and requires removing two sections of belly pan for access. It took me 4 hours the first time, but I suspect it will be quicker the next time.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

do not get me wrong, a Ford GT is a wonderful modern supercar by any standard, however, people will walk right past one to get a closer look at my GT40. At the Walter Mitty Historic races recently it was amazing to watch folks gawk at my car while a red Ford GT was sitting lonely and ignored. There is no doubt which one runs better however, modern parts are hard to beat. If you are driving it daily, the Ford is probably a better choice. Again this is kind of the cobra vrs modern Vette question.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Thanks so much for the input - I'm even more interested now.

As to ENTDOC's comments, I don't have the budget for a real GT40 nor the skills to built a replica, so going with a Ford GT is probably the best plan for me, but not necessarily for most of the posters here as they have the skills to build or a few apparently have the money to buy a real GT40.

Last edited by cobra de capell; 05-26-2007 at 03:55 PM..
Old 05-26-2007, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

I am sure you will love it
Old 05-28-2007, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Superformance 427W

Interesting thread. I too own a Ford GT, and the truth is, I never really was too aware of the original Ford GT40, so I kinda grew up on the looks of the current Ford GT. So for me, I much prefer the looks of the Ford GT over the Ford GT 40, I guess it's just what a guy has as his reference point, among other things of course, that influences his perception about what looks good, and what does not.

I agree with Cobra #3170, this is an outstanding performance car in nearly all respects. At 160, not that I have ever been that speed you understand, I am told it feels like 90. If you plan to get one, now would be the time as I understand 4038 were built, about 300 totaled so far, and about 200 or so went to Canada and a handful to Europe. Mine is a 2005 model with 3,060 miles on it after ten months of ownership since new. I have had to replace a leaking power steering pump under warranty, and tighten a loose radiator hose, and that's about it. As for oil change, it goes something like this: If you have a power screwdriver the two under body panels are down in about ten minutes, drop the oil (two locations), change the filter (canister style) on the top side, add oil, prime the engine with oil by holding the pedal to the floor and cranking for about ten seconds, start the engine, and then put the panels back in place.

Although it has an aluminum body, chassis, and engine it still weighs in at 3400 pounds or so. I have USAA insurance and pay 1200 bucks per year. As for purchase price, well, let's say I paid a fair new car price, but resale for me will not be an option. It will be handed to my children to fight over when I die. A lot of the guys hate the looks of the sub-woofer, I am not too fond of it, but I do like the sound, and I do intend to keep it 100 percent stock. So if you have a chance, take a look at the interior and find one that suits you. They can still be bought for a fair price for now, which is to say around MSRP. I think the car with all options was about 158K for the 2005 model, then had a price increase in mid 2005 and went to 166 which carried into the 2006 model year. The Heritage paint scheme is more, but I don't know how much more that option was. ENTDOC, do you know?

Anyway, I don't regret ownership in anyway, and the only car I have ever owned that rivaled the attention it brings is my SPF Cobra and a Ferrari 308 GTSi I owned in the mid 1980's. The most provocative statements made were as follows: Ferrari - "I would do just about anything for a ride in a Ferrari - made by a lovely looking female lab technician I used to work with, but I just asked that she buy my lunch. SPF - "I love the way it vibrates my seat when we are at idle," and last, the Ford GT. A twenty five something young lady came up to me in a crowd of people and said, "Do you know what I'd do with that car if it were mine?" I said, "No, what?" She said, "I'd make love slowly to it all night long." I just looked at her and stared, and said, "How about just a simple good night kiss?" and opened the car door so she could sit in it. She did, and I got the kiss.

Bottom line, if you can, buy one. I predict you are going to like it.

Roger
FGT 1490, SPF 2080

Last edited by Roger Vincent; 05-28-2007 at 09:23 PM..
Old 05-28-2007, 11:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006

Cobra Make & Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd

The heritage paint option at a dealer here in Hawaii was $13,000 on the
sticker. Of course the "dealer adjustment" was something around $89,000
for a total of about $288,000 before taxes. He got away with it two years
ago so is trying again.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:35 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Vintage 60's Shelby Owner

Cobra Make & Engine: Purchased CSX3225 in 1968 for $4,995. Original 428 car but changed to 427 MR about 20 years ago.

I really like the looks and performance of the GT but have a problem with the lack of storage. I purchased a C6 Z06 instead. It has about the same performance at half the price. It doesn't have the wow factor but it can be used as a daily driver. It also won't hold it's value as well. I find the Corvette to be very comfortable even though I'm 6'7". I could not drive the GT safely without modifying the seat and I wasn't sure how it would come out.

I would prefer the GT if it had some storage and I was a little shorter.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default The GTX vesion may be the ticket

Wow, 6'7" that's a tall order to fill with any sports car but I found after a ride in the GTX-1 version made by Genaddi design that it transformed the GT and made it a more user friendly car, seems so much more roomy without the roof. On the other hand I dorove it before Gerish had the top panels fully designed so wonder where he plans to store them in the car when he finally gets them finalized. I think the GT represents performance far beyond the Z06 as exemplified by the fact that the Ford engineers bought a Z06 to compare it to but found it couldn't match the performance envelope of the GT. Maybe Z06s have improved but their quantity also will dilute the value where '05-'06 Ford GTs are frozen in time at 4038 produced so I don't think they will depreciate beyond a certain point like the Z06s will because every day Chevy is making more Z06s.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: TBD

Hmmmmmmm,

I have not driven the Ford GT sat in one but I own a Superformance GT-40 licensed by Saphir to be a GT-40 painted in heritage colors ( Gulf Livery). The GT is a great performance car but different in every way from the original GT-40. The man who owns the GT also has a CAV GT-40 and his comments on comparing the two are precision & huge performance and I agree since I drove this car (GT-40) vs Comfort & brute force power- unknown to me since I did not drive this one (GT).

I do not have it on the road since I have been sorting out some issues getting the gearing in the transaxle I wanted. The ZF transaxle (Same as the GT) comes with a 4:22 or 4:56 ring gear and with the standard
5th gear the engine would be turning 3300 -3600 RPM in 5th. I have finally got the 3:77 ring gear and a lower 5th gear that would let me cruise at 2300-2400 RPM in fifith. TBD is what the top end speed will be--- no limiters in this GT-40. It has full underbody fairing and is a very close replica (90% of the parts are compatible) of the original Mark I.

I will post some performance stats once I get it all together later this year.

TR

Last edited by Tony Ripepi; 07-02-2007 at 09:05 AM..
Old 07-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer

Tony,

Actually, the GT uses a Riccardo 6 speed, not a ZF.

And while the GT40 and GT share DNA, they are very different. The GT40 was a race car that by the rules, was streetable, the GT is a street car that can be raced (in the few series where it is allowed)

Nice SPF!!!!

Rick

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 07-02-2007, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historybuff
Wow, 6'7" that's a tall order to fill with any sports car but I found after a ride in the GTX-1 version made by Genaddi design that it transformed the GT and made it a more user friendly car, seems so much more roomy without the roof. On the other hand I dorove it before Gerish had the top panels fully designed so wonder where he plans to store them in the car when he finally gets them finalized. I think the GT represents performance far beyond the Z06 as exemplified by the fact that the Ford engineers bought a Z06 to compare it to but found it couldn't match the performance envelope of the GT. Maybe Z06s have improved but their quantity also will dilute the value where '05-'06 Ford GTs are frozen in time at 4038 produced so I don't think they will depreciate beyond a certain point like the Z06s will because every day Chevy is making more Z06s.
Historybuff, I think your account of history may be a little off. I don't recall Ford engineers using the Z06 as the comparison set. Their target was Ferrari.

If they had done that, they would have been shooting a little low, because the only Z06 that would have been available during GT development was the C5 version with 100 less HP, than the current C6 version. The Ford GT was released as a 2005, well before the new generation C6 Z06 (debuting as a 2006), and they now have a similar power-to-weight ratio when stock. The C6 Z06 is significantly lighter, the GT has more HP. Averaging the published tests shows the cars virtually identical in various performance tests. It pretty much boils down to the driver.

Last edited by clayfoushee; 07-02-2007 at 06:23 AM..
Old 08-15-2007, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV
And while the GT40 and GT share DNA, they are very different. The GT40 was a race car that by the rules, was streetable, the GT is a street car that can be raced
i agree with you Mark IV! and i also ask myself why they have made the GT so heavy...1500 kg are well away from the GT40's 1000 kg!
i think a sport car like the GT should have an astonishing power to weight ratio instead of having a lot of airbag,trip computer,etc etc
Old 08-15-2007, 08:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker

yeager..

united states government regulations adds a lot of weight to the original.

it is apples and oranges : safety glass, door crash beams, catalytic converters /exhaust , drive by noise levels / exhaust, front and rear bumper regulations and the list goes on .

plus add in creature comforts , power windows, radio systems, air conditioning , heater, defroster , sound deadening and the list goes on .

result . a much heavier car , with improved technology and considerable safety improvements . and the list goes on .

on your shores across the pond > a racing ferrari is considerably less weight than gt touring car for the highway . and the list goes on. bill
Old 08-15-2007, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wells
yeager..

united states government regulations adds a lot of weight to the original.

it is apples and oranges : safety glass, door crash beams, catalytic converters /exhaust , drive by noise levels / exhaust, front and rear bumper regulations and the list goes on .

plus add in creature comforts , power windows, radio systems, air conditioning , heater, defroster , sound deadening and the list goes on .

result . a much heavier car , with improved technology and considerable safety improvements . and the list goes on .

on your shores across the pond > a racing ferrari is considerably less weight than gt touring car for the highway . and the list goes on. bill
you're right, but i think they can make lighter car if they want...avoiding comforts or something not strictly necessary for the law...
for a sport car low weight is important as high power in my opinion.
i know using lighter material costs much more but...
i love both cars, the GT and the GT40 anyway...for their legendary heritage..for their wonderful appearance and for that great V8 growl