21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2007, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default GT 40 transmission

I would like info. on what type of transmissions the gt-40 kit cars use, and what if any modifications need to be done. Thinking about scratch building a gt 40. Know some use porsche, and some audi.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:18 AM
CC Member
See My Journal Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006
I have in the past contributed to CC

Send a message via AIM to mj_duell

Porsche G50, Audi A016, ZF and a few others work well. Depends on your needs (and bank account ).

--Mike
Old 06-15-2007, 10:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Steve,

Mike's dead right on that one - it really does depend on where your checkbook is. I'm working at an RCR40 and, initially, I thought I'd go with an Audi 016. I've driven a 40 with the Audi (thanks Hersh!) and I can assure you they are more than sufficient unless you're just damned hard on your equipment and then most likely nothing would be sufficient! Quite a few have the Audi in their 40s and they're working quite fine, thank you very much, even above the 450hp mark.

It's said that the ZF, when treated with respect, will work great right up to 700hp (like you need that much ammo in car that weighs just over 2000lbs). On the other hand, is there such a thing as too much horsepower? Everyone has to answer that one for themselves...

On the off chance you need an Audi, let me know. I have a fresh Jerry Jansing 016 5-speed all ready to go...

Best,

T.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:23 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006

Cobra Make & Engine: A Cobra

SPF makes a big deal out of the trans. The South African guy I talked to for some time put me off with his claims, I think most was the pride he had in the car more than the transmission.

Anyway, I think these guys are correct and I would add that Hersh has some very good information all around.

Jusy my $0.02
Old 06-16-2007, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Smile

Now there is a ringing endorsement - a new guy who just happens to have an Audi trans for sale thinks they are the way to go!

Amazing.

To help with an answer - it does depend on how much you have to spend with, as usual, the more it costs the more desirable it is.

Sure you can use a cheap Audi trans and it may last quite a while if you are fairly gentle with it but thee are some drawbacks to using one.

Some great information can be gleaned from the GT40s website. Do a search over there.

Good luck!
Old 07-03-2007, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body

ZF, Audi, and Porsche are the mainstays available. There are a couple of new entries coming along (see GT40s.com). You can always opt for the more race bred Hewland or Mendiola if your pocketbook is deep.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: GTD40, sbf 302 400hp

Mondola (sp?) is just about ready to release their brand new 5 speed in the fall. It is going to fitup to the same install as a ZF but is completely of their own design. This one is made here in the USA (San Diego) and is a current state of the art design. Price is going to be competitive with RBT's (ZF).

Might be worth having a look at their website and a little wait.

Otherwise the gearbox is the center of the entire build. Every decision made on the rest of the car is centered around the selection of the gearbox. Everything from power output from the motor to rear halfshaft lengths and rear suspension geometry.

The gearbox is by far the most difficult thing to change your mind on later also. In many ways its easier to build a new car than change from a Audi to inverted Porsche for example.

There are also several new boxes in the works at this time. Check out GT40s.com and search gearbox. You have some reading in your future, my boy

The main list would include G50 XX inverted Porsche, RBT, and the race boxes like Quaife etc. if you intend 500HP or more. The Audi's and even the R21 Renault's work best in lower torque applications like 302's at 350-390HP. You can even get in line for T44's if you really want to.

Last edited by Howard Jones; 08-02-2007 at 07:23 PM..