28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Default Kit Difference between RCR40 & SPF GT40

One of these days I may actually finish off my Kirkham and I've been thinking about buying a GT40. RCR advertises their deluxe kit for $42,000 and the SPF GT40 is on sale for $75,000, although I have seen the SPF's discounted on eBay.

I'm curious about the difference between the level of completeness of the kits. Looking at Dean Lampe's beautiful RCR40, he and his friends appeared to perform a significant amount of work on Dean's RCR, although I do realize a lot of that work was to make it track ready for Dean's racing prowness.

The SPF appears to be delivered complete sans engine, exhaust and transaxle. Besides the Shelby/Safir licensing fee, what else do you get with the SPF that you don't get with the RCR? Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA 389 427s/o

Can not answer your question but, you might want to check out the GT40 forum.

I have seen discussions and RCR is a frequent contributor.

http://www.gt40s.com/
Old 05-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

JWheaton, thank you, I'm aware of the GT40s website and searched it, but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for after going through page after page. Just doing some preliminary homework at this point and looking at only the big pictures stuff.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40

Rod Knock,
Here in this threat, scroll to the second from the bottom
post where Dean himself makes a comparison.

http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81728

What you really need to do is get that Kirkham going
and enjoy the heck out of that first.

Hersh
Old 05-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Hersh, I read Dean's post here, but there's some detail being left out. What parts to I need to complete both cars and what labor needs to be performed to each car. For some reason, the SPF sounds easier, but then it's $40K more too.

What I see is many threads are guys working their bottoms off on building their RCRs, but then I haven't seen anyone working hard on getting their SPF ready for the road.

Again, I may be missing something, and I probably am. I did notice in Dean's post that he felt the RCR had more interior room and that was important to him because he's 6'3" tall. The RCR price is attractive, but I would like to know the difficulty factor in assembling it.

The Kirkham could be on the road in about a month (fingers crossed again). I just love the build like many people. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002

Make sure you check out ERA: http://www.erareplicas.com/gt/gt.htm
ERA's MkI, MkII and MkII Spyder GT40 kits come with all body components fitted and bolted together. Know up front that you must have a lot of patience and, well, money can't be be much of a problem. Rounded off, the basic kit comes for $55K. If you want, ERA will do a turnkey or somewhere inbetween that and the basic kit.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 05-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed220mph View Post
Make sure you check out ERA: http://www.erareplicas.com/gt/gt.htm
ERA's MkI, MkII and MkII Spyder GT40 kits come with all body components fitted and bolted together. Know up front that you must have a lot of patience and, well, money can't be be much of a problem. Rounded off, the basic kit comes for $55K. If you want, ERA will do a turnkey or somewhere inbetween that and the basic kit.
I think I read on ERA's website that they have a 2-year wait. That may rule them out. As I said, I'm just doing a little preliminary homework. What do you get for an extra $40K +/-? Again, besides the licensing fee packed into the price. What additional work is necessary with the RCR's?
Old 05-08-2008, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40

I have an SPF Mk11 and a CAV MK1 and both of those come very similiarly equipped. The RCR is a great kit and is the one I would get if I wanted to build the car, however after building 2 cobras including a Kirkham as well as 2 mustang fastbacks I was a little tired of the process. The SPF will require minimal work ( relative term) and will yield the most accurate to an original product available within a reasonable price range. The CAV is more like the RCR in that you end up with a super car that has taken many liberties in execution but still looks great and performs very well. I think if you follow the builds on the GT40 forum , the RCR cars turn out great,but do require a lot of work and end up costing more than you might think, but that is ok if you enjoy the process. I would not dream to try and convince anyone that one of these cars is better than another, just different, just as a Kirkham is different than an ERA or SPF. If originality is important to you then SPF is the way to go but it may cost a bit more.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR

I'm 6' 2" and sat in an SPF and felt like a sardine. Sounds like the RCR would work for me. I just need another $80K and more garage space. Oh to dream....

Rodney - Like Hersh said....get the Kirkham going!

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 05-08-2008, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

in specific answer to your question of what do you get for the 40 K difference; paint plus several hundred free hours to enjoy the ride
Old 05-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Assuming for the moment I had the engine and a ZF transaxle, would building the exhaust (bundle of snakes) be the additional work and outfitting the engine with the various accessories inclusing A/C be the work that's involved?

One thing I just thought about, the SPF comes painted and the RCR does not. Is that correct?
Old 05-08-2008, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Doug, I am afraid you will feel like a sardine in any GT40 no matter what anyone tells you. I am 5-9 and these things are small. It is funny, the CAV is easier to get into but the SPF feels bigger once you are in. I had one guy that sat in the CAV and he said it felt bigger than an RCR so who knows.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

ENTDOC, oops, I was writing my response/question and you were responding at the same time.

Doug, the Kirkham is moving to a new address tomorrow (cross fingers...again). I'm hoping for a month, maybe two.

I'm not quite as tall as you Doug, but I would definitely sit and drive in both or whatever before buying anything. Tony already said I can take his "around the block."
Old 05-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

According to Dean Lampe, he's 6'3" and fits fine in his RCR.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

the body work on any kit is a very large portion of the work load, plumbing electrical is next and can be quite complex on a 40. fitting the AC and dash is time consuming, there are a ton of small things that have to be done. Loook at Bills build site on the 40 forum, he detailed it very well.The SPF comes with exaust by the way
Old 05-08-2008, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006

Cobra Make & Engine: SPF Brock Coupe #88, Keith Craft 427w

The SPF is a complete rolling chassis - paint, interior, etc. already done. You just install the drivetrain. If you really enjoy the "build" then you may want to go with the RCR. There is no "build" with an SPF, just installation. It comes with the bundle of snakes exhaust, wheels, etc. Also, for whatever it's worth, the SPF is very authentic and has a CSX chassis number. Not sure about the RCR.

Doug
Old 05-08-2008, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

I would like to point out that as a Kit builder, Fran at RCR is top notch and actually deliveres his product as promised and on time, no small feat in that industry. SPF also has a steller rep.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

One of the main reasons that I would pick one or the other.

Would you know if Fran at RCR does a turn key minus configuration similar to the SPF?
Old 05-08-2008, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

I think that he has done that on occasion
Old 05-08-2008, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Shelby Aluminum CSX4000
Default Gt40

The GT40 that Superformance offers is the most accurate GT40 on the market. It is a true Continuation of the Original w/ only minor changes (A/C, better brakes, shocks)
FACTORY-BUILT: Each and every chassis is excellent right from the Factory and ready for the engine and trans. It is built off the Original Blueprints and has a pressed steel roof just like the Original. The steel monocoque chassis, all steel tub, suspension, latches, catches, seats, gauges and exhaust are all just like the Original. The Paint is excellent and it's ready for the road in a very short time.

* Eligible for the SAAC and GT40 Registry!
* Licensed by Safir GT40 Spares Ltd!
* Assigned a GT40/P Chassis Number!
* Exclusive rights to the GT40 name and design - even Ford couldn't pull that off!

The next most accurate car to an Original GT40 is "arguably" the Holman Moody cars which as I recall were in the $500K-$750K range!

The Continuation GT40's distributed by Superformance are an "Absolute Bargain". A GT40 this accurate to the Original in this price range wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the Factory's production capablities and the vision and dedication of Jimmy Price!

Many people do not realize that the SPF Factory (Hi-Tech) is the Third largest specialized auto manufacturing plant in the world after Lotus and TVR of the UK.

We will be completing my "GT40 P/2046" very soon. It will be the most accurate copy of the 1966 Lemans Winner in existance w/ the "Continuation" serial number to match (P/1046 - P/2046). Special Ordered and Built by the Factory as a Copy of the winning #2 car w/ Right Hand Drive, Sill Mounted Shifter FE Dry Sump setup.

I can't wait to drive it on the wrong side of the road thru Texas Hill Country!
www.427LEGENDS.com