28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Thumbs up Looking for a small block MK1

I would like a complete car (but I will go the roller if I have to)...de bugged in white or red....don't need any bells or whistles...no dams...no bubbles (I'm 5'8" )...no fancy wheels or tires ...standard hip .... no stripes except the Ford sill...this car will be a sunday cruiser for a 70 yo poser and will never see a track, do a burnout or slide to a stop . It will be driven on backcounty roads at less than 80 mph, I am sure 300 hp will do the job (trick has a different meaning !). It must be trouble free with air that can cope with 100 degree weather and a heater/defroster/wipers that can cope with 40 degree rainy weather. I do not need a exotic motor or transmission. I had webbers on a Porche and they were annoying so I will go with a single carb unless some one can convince me that the "look like webbers fi" are trouble free . So if you are inclined to help out a foolish old man tell me what manufacturer makes the 1.) Most authentic...2.) The best quality...3.) the best value...I can afford to spend what I need to spend but not anymore. (And yes, I have considered a Vet and a Ford GT but I want to check out the replica's.. ) Any advice ?? Thanks in advance for your trouble...

Last edited by Bartruff1; 11-30-2008 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-30-2008, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40

CAV, RCR roller, SPF's are very accurate but tend to be pricey. I have had both the CAV MK1 and the SPF MK11. I would advise at least 400 hp minimum. Look at JCOOPS CAV on GT40s.com, if it is still for sale it is a nice car.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

also see if you can get in touch with Pat Buckley, he has a killer CAV, fully sorted that he has talked about selling, red, no stripe,it was Carrol shelbys car when he had an association with CAV.

here it is
Old 11-30-2008, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Default What is your opinion ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTDOC View Post
CAV, RCR roller, SPF's are very accurate but tend to be pricey. I have had both the CAV MK1 and the SPF MK11. I would advise at least 400 hp minimum. Look at JCOOPS CAV on GT40s.com, if it is still for sale it is a nice car.
On the quality ?? The value ?? You have the kind of experience that I am greatful to hear about..
Old 11-30-2008, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

the quality of the SPF and the CAV are similiar. The SPF cars are very accurate and sometimes to a fault, they leak badly and it is difficult problem to remedy, however the fit and finish is very good and the suspension pieces are first rate. the CAV is a little more civil, it has a stainless steel mono frame of high quality but it does not pretend to replicate an original. The AC and heat work very well and I have mine virtually leak proof now as the design allows for that problem to be minimized. As far as looks go, they both look fantastic. The CAV has power brakes that I like and CAVS tend to be about 10-12 K less than a SPF. Here is my CAV

Old 11-30-2008, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Old 11-30-2008, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

I am in the process of changing to a 480hp 347 now. the SPF had a roush 427 with 550hp and after driving it the little 302 in the CAV seemed anemic. A good solid 400hp or so with a good carb should be ok for your use, webers look great but can be finicky.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

my car is the wide hip version as you can see by the deep dish BRMs. It is the prettiest car I have ever seen.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak

Bart, I saw Chuck's SPF and his CAV and would have picked the CAV as well - but that's not a knock on the SPF. The stainless chassis is cool and looks "right" even though it's not "authentic". One other option is the Backdraft BDR GT which is a CAV with some tweaks. Supposedly it's aimed at a little more comfort - dropped footbox, etc. I saw the car below recently and it's a very nice product. The car below had all of the bells and whistles but I *think* Reg Dodd mentioned you can get into one for ~$90k. The car was very nicely finished and was surprisingly spacious inside - lot's more legroom than my FFR roadster. I've had my mind set on getting a 40 for a long time. This car was the first one I've sat in. If you haven't done so I'd suggest making sure you do as the 40 is different than other breeds. But I swear the look is just about worth it.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader

Be sure to check ERA's GT kits--don't know if any are available used. They are beautiful and look authentic. They offer variants on Mark I and Mark II, and also offer a Mark II Spyder version.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

they are very nice, but not too many out there to be had
Old 12-02-2008, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: SPF GT40

It's not a MKI ,but this ad over at GT40.com at $75K is a steal! I'd buy it if I didn't own one already:

Superformance GT40 MKII P2175.

2175 is being offered for sale at a new low price! This car has not been registered and has less then 20 miles on it. Why wait for a Chassis or Transmission, you could have this in your garage in a few days! This price is now well below cost! I will be more than happy to ship overseas!

Superformance MKII
Titanium with Black Stripes
Gurney Bubble on drivers side
Roush 427 SR engines

This car is being offered at $ 75,000

Call John at 920-450-4701