21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 07-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     
Default Idles fine - runs great when I mash on it - stutters/stumbles with a little throttle

Idles great, drives great except when just cruising and then give it a little more gas it stumbles/stutters quite a bit. Give it a lot of pedal and it goes and feels pretty good.

What should I look for? Timing is 38 degrees total. Windows are about half on both ends.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Old ('93)CMC kit, SB ford
Not Ranked     
Default Holley stumble

Hey Brent;
It sounds like you have a lean run condition when the throttle first opens. Check how far the throttle opens before the accelerator pump starts to squirt. There are some adjustments you can make if the squirters don't squirt until the throttle opens substantially. Lengthen the spring loaded bolt that contacts the accelerator pump arm so the accelerator pump squirters squirt sooner. You can also change the setting on the accelerator pump cam to change when and how they squirt. By making them squirt sooner, your lean run condition is eliminated.

Also check to make sure that your timing is changing as the RPM changes. It should retard a bit when the throttle is first opened then return to full advance as cruising RPM is achieved. I don't know what kind of distributor you have but there should be some method that advances and retards the actual spark timing as the RPM changes.

Hope this helps,
Fred

Last edited by fsiewert; 07-01-2010 at 10:57 PM..
Old 07-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Fred...I'll check the accelerator pump tomorrow. I double checked the timing today and it is fine.

One thing I noticed and incorrectly stated above is that the front bowl is at the halfway mark on the sight while the back bowl is down at the bottom. I read on the holley site that they should both be at the bottom, yes?
Old 07-01-2010, 11:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Brent found some useful videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3F3ssOb8lg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiRIfcrc2yA

Last edited by Ralphy; 07-02-2010 at 12:55 AM..
Old 07-02-2010, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

Not knowing what carb you have, I'd say bigger squirters. Go up a couple sizes and if the helps, go up a couple more until problem is gone. Check the contact on accelerator pump first, then play with the squirts.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 427 Top Oiler stroked to 482 by KC, Stage 2 heads, a Quikfuel and Voila, 640 hp
Not Ranked     

Holley says both float bowl levels are at the bottom of the site window so it just barely seeps out. Adjust the rear float level before you dive in any further.

Tim

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy
Old 07-02-2010, 04:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Despite what most everyone here thinks, I think you should connect your vacuum advance. I chased the same problem for a year before I connected it and instantly the car behaved well in the low rpm range. My initial timing is at 15 deg advance, add to that the 10 or so with the vacuum advance, (but not constantly). The mechanical advance will add to that up to 21 deg, so you may have to install the black button which will limit the total. Either way, there's lots of combinations to play with. The vacuum advance allowed my car to become quite driveable in city/traffic conditions. Detroit engineers were pretty good, don't you agree. It may not be the answer for the guys who track their car, but may be a good idea for general cruising.
I hope this helps. Good luck with that beautiful GT.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

I had a big stumble when I gave it a lot of throttle quickly. I finally installed larger 50mm Holley acerator kit and cam on the throttle shaft and cured my problem. It now gets more fuel an prevents that stumble. It's been running great for over two years in extremely hot weather.
Bill
Old 07-02-2010, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 408w 500 h.p. 550 ft.lbs
Not Ranked     

You stated it idles great & drives great so that would indicate the pump,squirter's & float level are OK.
It sounds like you may have to work on the transitions.
1st. pull the carb & adjust the primary's for .020 exposure of the slot, you need at least that to accomplish a seamless tip in. install the carb, warm up car--short drive, if idle is too fast, reduce speed with secondary adjustment.

If that doesn't solve the problem you may have to start messing with the Idle air bleeds or restricters.

JMO

Craig
Old 07-02-2010, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Before you start replacing things, do the following:

(Make sure your timing and advance is spot on first, before any changes.)

1. Adjust both float levels to the base of the sight plug (assuming you have a Holley). Test drive.

2. Make sure accellerator pump is squirting immediately when the throttle is moved. Test again.

3. Try opening the idle air screws an additional 1/4 turn (richening) from their current position. Test drive.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Brent what power valve do you have in the carb? You need to measure vacuum level in the manifold to determine where you should be on power valve.
It may be as simple as changing it to an appropriate rating.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Ralphy's first video reccomendation pretty much covers any real issue you might have, pump cam tuning is further down the road.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 07-02-2010, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, 418 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Brent -
Your problem sounds a lot like the one I just squared away. My car ran great at any throttle postion except when just maintaining cruising speed on a level road, and there it would cut out, or hesitate noticeably. After some terribly enlightening troubleshooting I found two main problems. One - the timing advance was squirrelly. It would stick at a total advance of 34 degrees and then ramp on up (I had 17 initial + 21 mech advance, 38 total at that time). Worse, the timing would bounce up and down by as much as 4 degrees at lower rpms, and specifically in the rpm range where I would be trying to maintain cruising speed. Never found a reason for this strange timing advance behvior, but I cured it with a new distributor. Note that to find this kind of problem you have to map the rpm vs timing advance curve at about 200 rpm intervals to really know what's happening, ie, don't just rely on a point at idle and a second point when the advance is supposed to be full in.
My second problem was related to idle transition in the carb. I had adjusted the idle mixture screws (4 corners) to get max vacuum at idle and then leaned it about 1/8 turn from there. The engine did not care for that set-up, and continued to hesitate a bit while trying to maintain a constant, low load speed. So I started backing out the idle mixture screws and finally, after about a half turn out (richer) on all 4, it's pretty much ok. I also found one of the idle mixture screws was a bit rounded at the end, which certainly complicates the adjustment process, so it will be replaced soon.
Hope this is of some use to you. My carb is a Holley 4150 HP street, mech secondaries, no choke or vac advance.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Before you start replacing things, do the following:
(Make sure your timing and advance is spot on first, before any changes.)
1. Adjust both float levels to the base of the sight plug (assuming you have a Holley). Test drive.
2. Make sure accellerator pump is squirting immediately when the throttle is moved. Test again.
3. Try opening the idle air screws an additional 1/4 turn (richening) from their current position. Test drive.
X2 on all counts.

Plus check idle vacuum and install correct power valve accordingly. A tip-in stumble is almost always a temporary lean condition unless you get black smoke, then its likely rich because of too much PV.

Jim
Old 07-04-2010, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

I am a big believer in vacuum advance as well, and it should be functioning properly or you are just driving a thirsty tractor.

For the fuel level in the bowls, holley states and I concur that the level should be at the base of the window, now to the transition.

Are you running any sort of base plate on your carb like a spacer ?

If so is the spacer the same design as the intake ?

Now to the transition , of it is stumbling quite a bit, it may be too much fuel as well .

Take a peek and let us know.

Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 07-04-2010, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

Holleys sometimes work best with fuel even lower than at the base of the inspection hole/window. But I've never heard of a Holley working better with the fuel level appreciably higher.

Z.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys, I totally messed up. I thought it was a holley, but it's a quick fuel carb. Looks like after reviewing again with the pump on it's at the center of the sight windows on both and there's a line in the casting to indicate that's where it should be.

Second thing is that there was a little bit of a vaccum leak as one port was missing a cover ....Runs a lot better now (go figure), but not perfect. Haven't had any time to do much more with it, but will take a look tomorrow more as the weather should be nice.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone!
Old 07-04-2010, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Just a Holley with earings.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 10-16-2010, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

Do they mention float levels for carbs not sitting level? Most manifolds are designed for engines sitting at an angle, Front higher than rear. In my Cobra replica there is very little if any angle if any. I have a Dove Tunnel wedge intake manifold, now my carbs are angled donward in front. 2 side hung single inlet 4160s ===1850

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 10-16-2010 at 03:41 PM..
Old 08-25-2011, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Novice here but just got back from the dyno with my 750 and this same problem was cured but switching out the power valve. Mine had apparently been damaged by gulp of air and a little too much fuel. Everything else everyone has mentioned was already in check on mine so this was the last ditch effort...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: