Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Cold Air Intake

Continuation of thread Ram Air Carb Tuning @ Ram Air Carb Tuning
Good information there, so I've been looking at "Cold Air Intake Systems" and we all know there are a ton of them out there. In the end it boils down to -

(1) Snorkel your air cleaner away from the under-hood high temp areas so you can pull in ambient air, or
(2) Go the Turkey Pan rout with a reasonable seal to your hood so your air is being sucked from the outside by the cowl scoop.

I won't go into that 3rd option, using a dry-ice box to actually cool the air before it gets to the carb - not practical and I'll leave it that. I think we all get it, cooler air = denser air = more air, and with the right air-gas mixture = more power. By-the-way, "Ram Air" has nothing to do with this, and apply pointed out by Gaz64 - your carb is going to suck what it needs and any perceived positive psi from "ramming" air in is rendered useless when the butterfly's open.

So, regarding the 2 more viable options above, IMO both solutions seem to fall short of actually hitting the mark and getting outside ambient air into the carb. With (1) you are not outside the hood and although the air will be cooler than the air above the manifold (if your snorkel gets you near the front or a fender well), it is certainly not ambient air. With (2) you need to have a good Turkey Pan seal to the hood to avoid that hot manifold air leaking in, and this says nothing of that aluminum Turkey Pan being a pretty good thermal conductor.

I keep thinking, there must be something better out there in the way of a true "ambient air intake" - or at least a custom setup by one of you that does a pretty good job. One idea that crossed my mind was to plumb that real ambient air coming in from the two brake duct holes on the front of the car right up to a sealed air cleaner shroud (assuming you're not using these for brake cooling or "footbox AC"). Anyway, curious to see what some of the other solutions might be, a new product or your creativity to get the job done right!
----
Old 09-16-2011, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #168 427W 66+K miles and counting
Not Ranked     
Default Cold air

Here's my homemade cold air box on my BDR. Seems to work rather well but not exactly pretty. Fire-resistant foam from Moroso. Hides my DUI ignition as a side benefit.....
Attached Images

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt"
Old 09-16-2011, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

It's not really that important....outside air flows freely through the hood scoop. That's pretty much it. The faster you go, the more you get.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Brewer View Post
It's not really that important....outside air flows freely through the hood scoop. That's pretty much it. The faster you go, the more you get.
Actually, that's a common misconception. The "scoop" grabs very little air at speed due to boundary layer dynamics.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

+1 on that Al
Hood scopes don't do Squat except let heat Out, unless they are sealed like Sledge's. Looks great Sledge.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep, and you can tell Sledge is sealed so he is sucking in ambient air from the scoop - those cowl nut indentations in the Moroso foam are very telling These guys seem to specialize in the art of "cold air induction" Spectre Performance - Official Site

I think I might try running a couple of tubes from a sealed carburetor enclosure out and down to left & right of the radiator. I just don't think I have the patience to do an aluminum turkey pan right, the fit (seal) has to be dead-nuts on.
----
Old 09-18-2011, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

here's what a little time and creativity will get you. not necessary for the full turkey pan.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2011, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
here's what a little time and creativity will get you. not necessary for the full turkey pan.
hum, so the air cleaner sits above the hood through a hole?
Don't think I will go that far, although no question you have achieved ambient air intake
Old 09-18-2011, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL427SBF View Post
hum, so the air cleaner sits above the hood through a hole?
Don't think I will go that far, although no question you have achieved ambient air intake
it's a 351 block with rpm air gap intake and about a 1/4" edelbrock dual plane insulator with holley carb on top. nothing special to make the air cleaner sit higher, just an ordinary moroso setup. the aluminum sheet is riveted to the bottom of the air cleaner and it meets the hood opening nicely.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
it's a 351 block with rpm air gap intake and about a 1/4" edelbrock dual plane insulator with holley carb on top. nothing special to make the air cleaner sit higher, just an ordinary moroso setup. the aluminum sheet is riveted to the bottom of the air cleaner and it meets the hood opening nicely.
Ok, for me the only lump I want to see on the hood is the scoop
Personal preference only, and with it's ambient air intake challeges obviously.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

can you get by the lump in front of the hood, this is car.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

there is the car, if something else then the scoop on the hood let me know. her shirt says 'hurray for boobies!'
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2011, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

vector1, sorry - I got another photo with the aircleaner exposed above the hood and thought that was yours. No problems with that lump on the hood or the hood ornament I am going with a smaller scoop though, I like the more traditional look - but nothing wrong with what you have there. Is that a comp chassis or touring?
Old 09-24-2011, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

that is the comp chassis. was out for a cruise today, nothing beats the jbl for coolness, ride, turning ability, and acceleration out of a small 351. hope your car turns out good, you are gonna love it.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
that is the comp chassis. was out for a cruise today, nothing beats the jbl for coolness, ride, turning ability, and acceleration out of a small 351. hope your car turns out good, you are gonna love it.
Yeah, shouldn't be too long now. The motor is with JBL and a lot of the fitting done.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

turkey pan in the for sale section.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 874 solid red Roush 427 small block 515 hp
Not Ranked     

Great idea! That is what should have been there all along on all the cars.