Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default Vacuum leak caused by choke removal

Many of you experts out there may already know this, but I learned something last week that I thought I'd share for others.

I was recently watching a video on carburators and learned that if you remove the choke on a Holley 4150 carb, you need to replace one of the mounting screws and use thread sealer or you will likely have caused a vacuum leak.

I removed the choke on my 3255-1 quite a while ago (car always ran fine) but decided to investigate the claim from the video last night and found that indeed the center screw hole that was one of the choke mounting points is not plugged and goes somewhere into the center of the carb. So it seems to be true. My engine is out of the car right now and I couldn't run it to test if it actually is a vacuum leak, but it sure seems likely.

Here is a pic of the carb before the choke came off. It's the center hole of the three in this area when the choke is removed.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 05-22-2013, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

thats the source for the vacume to suck the warmed air thru from the exhaust crossover heat----the later electric chokes didn't require that--------
Old 05-22-2013, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ah, makes sense. I'll plug it. Wonder how much of an effect that has had on my secondaries opening?

www.partskeeper.com

Last edited by dcdoug; 05-22-2013 at 09:57 AM..
Old 05-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Ah, makes sense. I'll plug it. Wonder how much of an effect that has had on my secondaries opening?
There are vacuum passageways behind the choke housing. Obviously, you don't want them just left open sucking in air. Here is a site with a wealth of pics of them. https://sites.google.com/site/mokmos...ing-adjustment What you're really doing, or should be doing, when you remove an automatic choke is to convert it to a manual choke, but with no manual choke there; you just use the manual choke pieces so there's no leaks. When you look at the pics, you'll see it's pretty straight forward.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Good call Doug, just FYI the hole takes a 10-32 tap nicely. I used a button head with a nylon washer under it to seal. I probably could have taken the little gasket off that was on there and used that. You can see I have the choke next to it to show both parts in the same picture. You'll notice the choke fell completely off that one.

Last edited by mickmate; 05-22-2013 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: tried to rotate picture
Old 05-22-2013, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

You can also use a piece of lead shot or bb
Old 05-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Just stick a glob of JB Weld in there with your finger.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had it set up for a manual choke at one point, but decided that was for sissies and more of a hassle than it was worth.

Thanks for the tips.

Question: Nick, what are those two little holes for at the base of the carb (top of your pic since it's upside down)? Same size small little holes centered on the primary and secondary barrels.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 05-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
...what are those two little holes for at the base of the carb (top of your pic since it's upside down)? Same size small little holes centered on the primary and secondary barrels.
You see this little diagram of the back of the choke assembly housing? It fits in those three spots on the body and allows fresh air to be sucked in from the outside and circulated around the choke so it doesn't burn up. It has a little brass filter and screen on the other side to keep from sucking crap up. I couldn't find a better pic than this... but I didn't try all that hard considering the sissy remark.

Last edited by patrickt; 11-07-2016 at 12:36 PM..