14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 03-23-2022, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft cobra FE big bock
Not Ranked     
Default 428 fe with holley 850 jetting recommendations?

I have a 428fe with a holley 850 double pumper. Im currently rebuilding it, and while its apart I would love jetting recommendations for the top end. Car runs awesome until 4500 where it just stops making power. Ive got edlebrock rpm heads and intake...but unsure of cam...
The car has two power valves. Both 6 both blown. I need new power valves and was told to try 6.5 as I have about 15 or 16 inches of vacuum. I also have 80 idle jets all the way around...and was told to try 83 in the rear bowl. Car is supposed to have 550hp.
Runs great till about 4500 and runs out of power. Any suggestions?
This is a non vacuum advance set up. Ive seen people do a power valve delete in the rear bowl...but im unsure what that would gain me
Old 03-23-2022, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default fuel pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundkillr View Post
I have a 428fe with a holley 850 double pumper. Im currently rebuilding it, and while its apart I would love jetting recommendations for the top end. Car runs awesome until 4500 where it just stops making power. Ive got edlebrock rpm heads and intake...but unsure of cam...
The car has two power valves. Both 6 both blown. I need new power valves and was told to try 6.5 as I have about 15 or 16 inches of vacuum. I also have 80 idle jets all the way around...and was told to try 83 in the rear bowl. Car is supposed to have 550hp.
Runs great till about 4500 and runs out of power. Any suggestions?
This is a non vacuum advance set up. Ive seen people do a power valve delete in the rear bowl...but im unsure what that would gain me
what kind of fuel pump do you have? I have a 428 with a 750dp and it stoped pulling around 5300rpm 3rd gear… add’d a carter electric pump to the fuel line and it pulled pass 6300rpm on the track .
Jon
Old 03-24-2022, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Currently running the holley blue pump and set at 6 psi with no fuel return.
So I suppose 80 jets squared should be enough?
Old 03-24-2022, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Normally you would square the jets if you block off the power valves. I'm thinking you are leaving power out of the car (on the secondaries) with an 80, and/or creating a high rpm lean condition.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1965C View Post
Normally you would square the jets if you block off the power valves. I'm thinking you are leaving power out of the car (on the secondaries) with an 80, and/or creating a high rpm lean condition.
From what ive understood...the power valve in the back when active increases thenflow to over 80. No power valve and I should run 86 or something. So with a power valve maybe I ahould go to 83?
I could be completely wrong...but thats how I understood the power valve to operate.
Old 03-25-2022, 03:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

You may want to start here. I suspect you have too much carburetor. Engine builders use ~780 cfm carbs for similar engines at 550hp.
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/ch...20%3D%20616.32).
Old 03-25-2022, 04:24 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS427 View Post
You may want to start here. I suspect you have too much carburetor. Engine builders use ~780 cfm carbs for similar engines at 550hp.
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/ch...20%3D%20616.32).

X2

Since there is no mention of cam specs, engine compression, valve sizes, intake type, and ignition on the OP's engine, my thought is also a carb that is too large for the combination of the above mentioned items.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-25-2022, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     

I have a 750 do on my 428 I’m using 75/83’s … my suggestion is to get it chassi dyno tune
the tuner can adjust the air bleeds to correct the air fuel ratio and play with the squirters so it won’t hesitate off the line. I use Nickerson Performance in Pa and my Cobra runs like it’s fuel injected
Jon
Old 03-25-2022, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

The 15 - 16” vacuum and 550 hp from a 428 sounds a bit inconsistent to me, but maybe if you have a good roller lifter cam. Should still pull past 4500 rpm and far more. It’s hard to beat a vacuum operated secondaries 750 for responsive street use. The engine gets the air flow it demands and no more.
Old 03-25-2022, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
X2

Since there is no mention of cam specs, engine compression, valve sizes, intake type, and ignition on the OP's engine, my thought is also a carb that is too large for the combination of the above mentioned items.

Bill S.
Understood. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Im all ears. Unfortunately for me I dont have the internal specs. Im going to have to assume they are out of the box edlebrock performer rpm heads and performer rpm intake.

Ignition is msd 2 and black coil. Coil cap plugs and rotor All new...just for the sake of taking that off the table as an issue.

I dont doubt a dyno is the way to go...but im hoping to get it closer than what it is. It runs fantastic all the way around...no hesitation except for the top end wot and runs out of power at 4500. It will still pull above that...but its just out of power at that point.
Old 03-25-2022, 12:16 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundkillr View Post
Understood. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Im all ears. Unfortunately for me I dont have the internal specs. Im going to have to assume they are out of the box edlebrock performer rpm heads and performer rpm intake.

Ignition is msd 2 and black coil. Coil cap plugs and rotor All new...just for the sake of taking that off the table as an issue.

I dont doubt a dyno is the way to go...but im hoping to get it closer than what it is. It runs fantastic all the way around...no hesitation except for the top end wot and runs out of power at 4500. It will still pull above that...but its just out of power at that point.
750CFM DP is recommended, as you can only jet and tweak the 850CFM DP so much.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: