Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2023, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion, 429 SCJ,
Not Ranked     
Default Edelbrock electric fuel pump

I'm planning on making the switch from a mechanical fuel pump to an Edelbrock 1791 electric fuel pump. I intend to mount the pump on a section of the rear frame under the high mounted fuel tank.

I'm looking for feedback from those that have used the same pump successfully. My question has to do with the mounting of the pump. With the very limited room I have under the car, it would be mounted on approximately a 30 degree angle from vertical.

1) The instructions currently on the Edelbrock website state to mount the pump in a vertical position.
2) I came across an older revision of their instructions that stated they recommend vertical but "it can be mounted in any position".
3) Someone posted the same question on the Summit website a few years ago and a representative from Edelbrock answered that it could be mounted in any position.

After being on hold on the Edelbrock tech line for about an hour over the past two days, I'm turning to the forum for some advice.

Due to the pump being gravity fed directly from the tank I don't think that cavitation on the suction side will be an issue but I just wanted to make sure.
Old 11-02-2023, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If the Edelbrock site has a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section, your answer is possibly there.
Old 11-02-2023, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

My wild guess is that they recommend vertical for two reasons. First, heat from the running motor into the surrounding air will go up and away from the fuel manifold. Second, fuel is less likely to seep into the motor when the motor is above the manifold. If I faced your situation I would be comfortable with a 30 degree tilt.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 11-02-2023, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Hi Stallion, i too have the same frame as you with that pump in my WCC. Ive been running that pump for 3 years but its (14 years old lol) with over 7,000 miles and no issues so far even with 3 and 4 hour drives occasionally. Its a great pump. I run E10 pump gas where I live. My pump is mounted vertically give or take 10 deg. The most important thing is to make sure the inlet port is always “downhill” from your tank which it will be in most any angle with the stallion tank being up on the high shelf in the trunk. In fact my tank is in the lower part of my trunk, not the upper shelf as Kellison built them and the Edelbrock pump inlet is about even with my tank bottom and i have no issues. Im not sure I have a pic of it ( that was like 6 phones ago lol) but if I find it Ill share it. Love that pump. It feeds my 440 hp ‘ish 460 …oh btw . My pump is only 1/2 inch from the rear coil spring. Make sure your coil spring is retained ( bolted) on at least one end to ensure it wont contact the pump housing through the full range of suspension vertical travel which in my case is about 1.5 inches, lol. Here is a pic from left rear wheel well looking up. You can see the bottom of pump is basically level with ground. There are two things I love about the pump, it has a built in fine adjustment pressure regulator (5-8 psi) and when the time comes a rebuild kit for about $60 is still available.

Bill
Attached Images

Last edited by kitcarbp; 11-02-2023 at 06:26 PM..
Old 11-03-2023, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion, 429 SCJ,
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

Bill, I like the way yours is mounted in front of the axle. Originally, I was planning on mounting the pump behind the axle and to the front side of the frame that wraps around the trunk (this is where the ~30 degree angle came from).

I too like the fact that a rebuild kit is available for the pump, plus the fact that you don't need a return line. I was planning on having to run a return line back to the tank but believe it or not I've never had any problems with vapor lock so I should be good to go with the pusher pump.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Yes, you want to protect that pump and fittings / lines from any rear impact should that happen, thus in front of rear axle. Ideally you should mount ( to the frame) a fuel pump impact cutoff switch in the fuel pump circuit to stop the pump in any crash impact, the impact switch ( oem design example shown below) is still on my “to do” list
Safety first

Btw when mounting pumps follow instructions and use a dense rubber to insulate mounting bracket to frame to minimize noise and vibration. Then again, who cares, my sidepipes are so loud it wont matter. Lol.
Attached Images

Last edited by kitcarbp; 11-03-2023 at 10:22 AM..

Tags
edelbrock 1791, electric fuel pump