Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Hurricane Motorsports

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 10:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Interested in Hurricane

I've been considering building a Cobra for a while now and have begun to get serious. I've started saving up for the build and am beginning to create a build plan. I have narrowed my choices down to a few kit manufacturers including Hurricane. I won't bother with which kit is best but I will say that Hurricane impresses me with their accuracy and that the kit is pretty much complete.

I was wondering if there were any Hurricanes in the LA area that I could come and view or even get a ride in? It would be nice to see one up close to help me with my decision.

Thanks for the assistance.

Les
Old 04-02-2013, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane HM1015
Not Ranked     

Les,
There are Hurricanes in the LA area. Go to the Hurricane forum page on the Hurricane site. Post up your request. You will have responses by the end of the day.

Ken
HM1015
Austin, TX
Old 04-02-2013, 07:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Contact MFE III on this forum. He has an awesome Hurricane and knows of all of them in the L.A. area.
Being a prior Hurricane owner/builder, I don't believe there is a nicer, more complete kit on the market.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

You should come to south Texas this weekend Our annual Texas Cobra Meet is happening, over 100 cobras in attendance, with a handful of Hurricanes coming, and Hurricane Motorsports will be there with their trailer, display, and 2nd gen. demo car, and The Ohio Cobra Club is bringing HM2009, the newest Hurricane factory-built cobra they are raffling off this summer.

I purchased HM2008 last year and have slowly started my build, and I can attest that Hurricane's customer support after the purchase is astounding.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There may be one or two (Matt, are you listening!) at Huntington Beach at the end of the month. Big FFR get together but Hurricanes have been known to show up.
Larry
Old 04-02-2013, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
There may be one or two (Matt, are you listening!) at Huntington Beach at the end of the month. Big FFR get together but Hurricanes have been known to show up.
Larry
Not sure I'll be able to make Huntington Beach, but if I can swing by I will.

I am looking at FFR as well and one thing I notice is that with those kits, customization seems to be encouraged. How well does the Hurricane kit support customization? Some things I am thinking about include anti-lock brakes, alternative wiring harness (ISIS), big block or Coyote engine.

I do like how I can order the kit in street form as that is how I envision my build. One of the options that seems to be missing is the nose splitter. Has anyone been able to source those for this car?

Thanks for the input and I look forward to learning more about Hurricane.

Les
Old 04-02-2013, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Custom work is just like any other manufacturer. It all depends on what you want to achieve with the car.
Anti-lock brakes are not needed IMO if proper brakes are used in the beginning. My car has 12.19" Wilwood rotors front and rear with 4 piston calipers. That's about the biggest that will fit under 15" wheel.
Hurricane can accommodate about any engine setup. You'd want to get with them about that before you order.

Any other questions, fire away!
Larry
Old 04-02-2013, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Go to the Build Log and check out the Hurricane build .
Good luck , Bill
Old 04-02-2013, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here is a question I have about the IRS setup. Hurricane ships you an iron 8.8" Ford differential, which I assume comes from a T-Bird. Could you substitute an aluminum diff from a Mustang Cobra or Lincoln Mk VIII?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     
Default IRS Info

You can substitute the aluminum housing from the Mark VIII or Cobra. If you use the Cobra differential, be aware it has 31 spline internals, the MarkVIII has 28 spline. But very few of the Mark VIII's came with trac-lok so you might be looking at new internals also. Dusty has done this before for other customers. Not a big extra. The half shafts supplied are 28 spline. Some have converted to the 31 spline center section but it adds additional cost.

The extra strength of the higher spline isn't really necessary unless you plan to run slicks and generate in excess of 500hp at the wheels. If you're going to drag race the car, you might look into it further but for street use, the other is fine.

You can't go wrong with a Hurricane kit. It will accommodate as much or as little of customization as you want.

Paul
Old 04-02-2013, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As Paul says, yes you can use the Mustang Cobra differential. It's what I have in my car.
The 31 spline inner CV joints were more money and harder to find but it was worth the expense to me. The Driveshaft Shop did my axle assemblies with 300M center shafts too.
Larry
Old 04-02-2013, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rumor has it that Hurricane will do a phased purchase as well - true?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That I'm not sure of. You'd have to talk to them about purchase info.
Larry
Old 04-03-2013, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, 427w
Not Ranked     
Default Hurricane

Hey Les, I have a Hurricane and am very close to you. I'll PM you with my contact info. I'd be more than happy to get together so you can see a Hurricane up close, see my build and answer any question you may have. I also have a buddy that just finished a FF5 Mk IV so you can compare the two if you wouild like.
Matt
Hurricane Motorsports #1053; 427w

Last edited by MFE III; 04-03-2013 at 02:51 PM..
Old 04-03-2013, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Matt, why don't you bring it to Huntington Beach for the FFR get together at the end of the month. We are heading there with my brothers FFR Daytona to show it.
Larry
Old 04-03-2013, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     
Default Phased Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMurray View Post
Rumor has it that Hurricane will do a phased purchase as well - true?
They are working on the details for this but yes, they plan to offer a phased build. Speak to Steve Sinnard about it.

Paul
Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE III View Post
Hey Les, I have a Hurricane and am very close to you. I'll PM you with my contact info. I'd be more than happy to get together so you can see a Hurricane up close, see my build and answer any question you may have. I also have a buddy that just finished a FF5 Mk IV so you can compare the two if you wouild like.
Matt
Thanks for the offer. I travel a lot for work and play and I'll be out of town for Huntington Beach. But I would really like to get together and especially see the FFR and Hurricane side by side.

Thanks for the offers and I'll be in touch.

Les