Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Hurricane Motorsports

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2006, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none...for now.
Send a message via AIM to Nathan Houghton
Not Ranked     
Default Roll Bar Question

I really like the look of the Hurricane body (looks a lot like an ERA or CSX) and I like the way the roll bar is exposed in the cockpit, but has anyone tried to replicate the angle of the rear brace to match the originals. The Hurricane looks like it drops off too much, and isn't as close to the cockpit area as a CSX or ERA. Have they thought of changing this? Here's some photos of what I'm talking about. It isn't that big a deal, but the Hurricane is so close to being dead nuts on to an original, it would be nice to be able to replicate the roll bar as well. I'm not sure who from here reads the Hurricane Forum on their website, so I posted it here and there.

Here is a Shelby CSX4000

Here is an ERA

Here is a Hurricane (notice the roll bar brace doesn't go as far back. Also the roll bar as a whole is farther away from the back of the cockpit than either the CSX or ERA)
Old 09-14-2006, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

From what I understand they do plan on changing this in the future. Maybe Rich can chime in here and give some ideas.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks dlowman for the info.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Nathan,

Many companies have done this to get around top fitment issues. Contemporary had original style and top friendly bar, SPF is wrong, and BDR as well. Remember the original cars were race cars w/o heat and a top was just an item that came with the car. This is why street CSX3XXX cars were without bar, more user friendly.

I will be measuring an original CSX for my bar position. If you want to go with Hurricane car just buy the bar separate from another company and retrofit. Remember to have them not drill the bar holes.........saves you on filler later.

Geatest of luck!
Jeff
Old 09-14-2006, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs Hurricane Motorsports 427 Roadster
Not Ranked     

While we have not extended the back rollbar brace for anyone yet from the factory, I will tell you that it is possible and there is a solid structural frame member where you could connect the longer, more original style brace. As Jeff said, top fitment will be an issue with the longer back tube.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

The Hurricane in the picture was my car. I asked the same question and when you look in the trunk at the mounting point of the support bar, you will see that is as far back as it can go and still mount to a solid spot on the frame. For the bar to be different it could either be bent once it enters the trunk or the frame could be modified to fit the bar further back at the expence of your trunk space. Things might have change since that car was finished last year.

Sorry Rich, I was typing as you were posting. I hope I remembered correctly. See you at Run and Gun!
Old 09-14-2006, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info Rich. Someone on the Hurricane forum mentioned that this was something you were thinking of updating on the car. Is that true? at least as an option? I think it really is a visual improvement (but as you mentioned would give some top fitment issues.)

Thanks
Old 09-14-2006, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I should probably clarify. I was speaking for an existing customer to change his rollbar tube and using another companies top.

We have not officially announced this yet, but it seems the cat snuck out of the bag so to speak.... For new customers, we will be offering the longer, original style rollbar standard on all of our kits very soon. And by soon, I mean that if you ordered today, your kit would arrive with the original style rollbar back tube. It is going into production this month. We had delayed the introduction of this feature to ensure that our new hard top and rollbar fit properly. There will be no charge for this new feature.

BTW - A hard top for the Hurricane 427 Roadster and 427 Street (more on that later...) will also be available soon, but not quite as soon as the original style roll bar We don't have pricing for the hard top yet (just in case you were wondering). More information on this later.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rich,
Hopefully I am not the cat that let things out of the bag lol. Thanks for the updates. Do you have a soft top that will fit this new mod?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 09-14-2006, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I plan on changing the rollbar brace on my car to a more correct angle. I have played around with it and I don't think it will be a big deal to change.
Larry
Old 09-14-2006, 07:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I talked to Mike today and the change will begin with my car #1065
Old 09-14-2006, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Teachers Pet!
Larry
Old 09-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     

Mike,

The more I read, the more I like. I got the wife and kids working overtime to do this build the right way.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:22 PM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

With the change to the new angle on the roll bar, is it considered a functioning, usable roll bar or more cosmetic? Would it pass scutineering for any of the sanctioning bodies? Was the original roll bar cosmetic or functioning? I may have missed this in an earlier post but was curious.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My guess is it would not pass for most sanctioning bodies but I think that would be true of most Cobra replicas using an original type SC rollbar. FFR racing series cars have cages that are not anything close in to the original type rollbar. Same goes for the Shelby Series cars.
As far as being a functional rollbar with the change in the brace; I'd say so but I would rather not try it out!
Larry
Old 09-15-2006, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I hope I didn't let the cat out of the bag either! Rich I'm really impressed with how Hurricane upgrades their product. I would love to see photos of the roll bar upgrade when they are available.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane HM1073 Keith Craft Genesis 427FE/482 CI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBurroughs
I should probably clarify. I was speaking for an existing customer to change his rollbar tube and using another companies top.

We have not officially announced this yet, but it seems the cat snuck out of the bag so to speak.... For new customers, we will be offering the longer, original style rollbar standard on all of our kits very soon. And by soon, I mean that if you ordered today, your kit would arrive with the original style rollbar back tube. It is going into production this month. We had delayed the introduction of this feature to ensure that our new hard top and rollbar fit properly. There will be no charge for this new feature.

BTW - A hard top for the Hurricane 427 Roadster and 427 Street (more on that later...) will also be available soon, but not quite as soon as the original style roll bar We don't have pricing for the hard top yet (just in case you were wondering). More information on this later.
Will the softtop you offer fit with the new "original style" rollbar?
Old 09-15-2006, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastraxsg
With the change to the new angle on the roll bar, is it considered a functioning, usable roll bar or more cosmetic? Would it pass scutineering for any of the sanctioning bodies? Was the original roll bar cosmetic or functioning? I may have missed this in an earlier post but was curious.
Our rollbar mounts directly to 2X3 .120 wall tube structural frame members. The rollbar is functional. Different sanctioning bodies have different requirements for occupant protection, but if a single rollbar (or double if you have that option installed) is sufficient protection, ours will definitely pass "scutineering" (I like that new word!).
Old 09-15-2006, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Houghton
I hope I didn't let the cat out of the bag either! Rich I'm really impressed with how Hurricane upgrades their product. I would love to see photos of the roll bar upgrade when they are available.
Dan/Nathan, It is not a problem - we stuffed a few extra cats in the bag so it is ok if a few escape occasionally
Old 09-15-2006, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc30
Will the softtop you offer fit with the new "original style" rollbar?
It will fit, but it will need to be split around the tube like you had to do on the original.