Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Hurricane Motorsports

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-23-2008, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet!
Send a message via Yahoo to aks801
Not Ranked     
Cool Newly interested in Hurricane

I've spent a lot of years lusting after the Cobras, then checking out the replica scene, then deciding if I wanted to build or buy a turnkey/roller. Decided some time back I want to build (major indicator that I'm a glutton for punishment). Have spent most of my time familiarizing myself with the FFR offerings, and have pretty much thought that's the way I'll go.

Until now. Not sure how I missed the Hurricane car, but am only now reading up on it. Things I like so far: designed for the builder; completeness of packaged order; fair price point; good reputation for customer service. And last but certainly not least: the body shape. FFR rear-end continues to puzzle me, while the Hurricane looks like what I think the car should look like.

This is a REAL general request, but I'm just asking for feedback from those have built the car, are building the car, or are at least deep into the research. Are you happy with your purchase? Anything I should look out for that is not immediately obvious? Just looking for folks' impressions while I consider this car.

By the way, I'm not building the car to race it, though I may take it to the occasional track day. I'll want it to be as period correct as possible (meaning spartan interior, 15" wheels...). Will use a big block Ford (probably a 428CJ). Very likely will build the street version (main attraction is the under-car exhaust).

thanks in advance!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Cobra, 427W
Not Ranked     
Default Enjoying my build, HM1106

So far my build on HM1106 is going great, I have made some mod's to the car as I build it. I went with a 427W from mandrengines.com have not started it yet but it sure looks nice. The body sytle of the hurricane is right on the money. I'm very happy with my choice and the customer service has been top shelf.

Randy
Old 01-23-2008, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, 427w
Not Ranked     

Alan, I'm about 3/4 done with my Hurricane build and I have no regrets. Everything is very good quality and the kit is very complete, as advertized. In fact, in some ways I think the completeness is over kill. Everything is included down to zip ties, a wire striper and electrical tester! The manual is very good with many pictures. They also are continually updating and improving the car. For example, in the past year they changed the rollbar to be more correct and integrated modifications in the footbox and cockpit tub to give more room. But one of the best features is the owner's forum they sponsor. There is a public side, but there is a very active and usefull private side for owners only. There are alot of very skillfull builders that regularly post on the forum, answering questions and showing how they approached different aspects of the build.
I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
HTH
Matt
Hurricane Motorsports #1053; 427w
Old 01-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I agree 100% with everything Matt said. I only have 200 miles on mine at this time but I can tell you that it is a very solid, well handling car. Like you, I researched all the manufacturers and after many years of info gathering, the decision was easy.

Jim
Old 01-23-2008, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane HM1073 Keith Craft Genesis 427FE/482 CI
Not Ranked     

Ditto on what Jim, Matt and Randy said. I am 95% done with HM1073, it is at the painters getting finishing touches, and everything went pretty smooth.

I made some mods of personal preference, i.e.- access door in the trunk to get at fuel sender and lines, routed the "go" pedal cable differently, added a driveshaft safety loop, used 1/2" -8AN fuel feed and return lines, LED tail lights, etc. But again, these were all personal preference to make the car "mine" as any build would be.

You won't be disappointed should you decide to go with Hurricane.

Dan

Last edited by danc30; 01-23-2008 at 10:16 AM..
Old 01-23-2008, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I went to the hurricane sight and added up all the options that is equivalent to the current BDR special Vintage is offering and the price totals =$41K with zero assembly options. This is only $3.5K less than the BDR deal of $44,500, which is a turnkey driving car, zero assembly required. Take a look at some of the $44,500 cars on his sight, very impressive. I am no way related to vintage or bdr, but the truth remains you really do not save much if anything building yourself. Sure Hurricane starts off at $14,900 but throw in wheels, indepedent suspension, paint, engine, frame coatings etc and it gets out of hand. On the flip side a "factory" built car appears to retain it value as compared to a individual built car. If you want to get dirty, build your own engine. I am trying to figure out what I want to do and that is why I am playing devils advocate here. Comments?
Old 01-23-2008, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I also went to the vintage sight and added up all the options a superformance is equipped with and the difference in price was $4k more the superformance. I doubt anyone will argue the quality of a superformance or backdraft. My question is how much is the licensing from shelby worth that superformance has attained. It is nice to have his name on the car when you are spending 50K plus
Old 01-23-2008, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet!
Send a message via Yahoo to aks801
Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone for your input so far: keep it coming! I really like what I've seen and heard so far. Have stumbled across a few build sites and am working my way through them (always enjoyable).

Madmaxx: thanks for your comparitive analysis. I am planning on building it myself, so rollers are not part of the equation. The decision is not about saving money, but just wanting to do it as a project. SPF makes a great car. BDR looks nice too, but if I remember correctly they don't utilize a 90" wheelbase, and I want to stick to the original dimensions.

Onward....
Old 01-23-2008, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

just FYI, hurricane will also build you a roller for right abut the same cost of a BDR and the hurricane doesn't have bubbly fenders.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

aks,
I respect you drive to build your own!!! I just have gotten too old to listen to lies from body shops about when the paint will be done or well if you want that add another $$$$ blah, blah blah. Superformance has the 90" wheelbase, bdr 92" with a ton of legroom.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     

Alan,

If you are wanting to see another one up close, the 289 hurricane (HMS1015?) located in Houston was built by Jay Nordstrom and Scott Slocum at Jay's shop in Dallas. See contact info on club cobra for sale at PhotoPost Classifieds - Cobra/Daytona/GT40's for Sale (private party sales only) - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Jay has owned and driven more cobras than most of us have seen in one place together. I suggest that you drop him a line under user "jayscobras" for some candid discussion.

I am more than pleased with my roller which he helped me procure. Check out the delivery video on my home page (see below).

Last edited by jshel1; 01-23-2008 at 07:16 PM..
Old 01-24-2008, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane HM1073 Keith Craft Genesis 427FE/482 CI
Not Ranked     

Alan,
Here are a few more links to other build sites. I personally rank Ryans up at the top.

http://www.cassidypics.com/cobra/

3x2Cobra

Main Cobra Page

Wade's Cobra Replica Project

Good luck on your decision. Whichever you pick, it will be yours and it will be great.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR # 165 392 Ford Crate 430HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsstnotch View Post
just FYI, hurricane will also build you a roller for right abut the same cost of a BDR and the hurricane doesn't have bubbly fenders.

Hey there watch what you say----- we call them bulging..not bubbly unless the car is painted pink.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by trs900 View Post
Hey there watch what you say----- we call them bulging..not bubbly unless the car is painted pink.

haha That's good! So how many pink BDR's are out there? haha As they say... Real men wear pink! I think men who wear pink are GHEY!!!!!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: