Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default No spark, need help......

OK, I'm having a huge problem solving this no spark problem. But I'll not bore you with all the previous fault finding but say I have replaced the TFI, distributor is new, coil is new and wiring point to point checked, and a re-manufactured EEC IV installed.

So back to basics and check that the coil would spark off the car. With the connections below what do you think momentary connection of the black wire to battery negative would do?
Just for clarification the red lead is to the coil + and the black is switching the coil - to 0V.

I was expecting a nice fat spark but no? Tried the original coil, no spark and even checked with another new coil, still no spark?

What am I missing, this problem is a PITA

Could someone please replicate this set up in their garage and let me know what happens?

John
Old 11-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The basic wiring looks like it should work. Assuming... The positive wire resting on the top of the pos terminal of the battery is actually getting a good connection, it doesn't look like a good connection. Did you use a meter to verify 12 volts at the two coil terminals?

If so, then a sharp and sudden break of the negative connection at the battery terminal should result in spark.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Doesn't the missing module step up the primary voltage, I believe so.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 11-14-2010, 05:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If I recall the MSD module's step up in the neighborhood of 400 volts, so it's a good question Rick.

That would be: Does THIS coil require the high primary voltage in order to fire?
Old 11-14-2010, 06:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Uh oh, it just dawned on me that many of todays modern coils work fine with a module but will BURN UP if you use 12 volts direct to the primary circuit. Many of them REQUIRE a ballast resistor that drops the 12 volts to about 6 (7 or 8 maybe).

It's possible the coils that have been tested with the above wiring schematic are now toast.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys but the coil wiring for the Mustang does not include a ballast resistor.
The circuit does have good connections, the photo is just to show the configuration.
No spark, engine not run, no complete project......running out of ideas...
Old 11-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Very few cars, these days DO include a ballast resistor. It's function is handled by an electronic type ignition control module. But what your doing is like an old school point and condensor type wiring, no electronics, just wired straight to the battery with the negative wire acting, as it were, "the points". A mechanical switch that makes or breaks the current, with a condensor that helps to limit arcing across the point contacts which would lead to burned and pitted contacts.

SOME coil's have an INTERNAL ballast resistor, some require an external one. Often, with todays modern coils designed to work with electronics, they do not have nor require an INTERNAL resistor. A resister can be purchased from any neighborhood parts store. They all serve the same basic function, reducing the voltage from 12 to 6 or 7 volts. It really doesn't matter what vehicle you have, if it came with points, it had a resistor OR (like GM) a resistor WIRE included in the wiring harness.

12 volts to a coil without a resistor will burn up the primary wiring inside the coil, you will not see the damage.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 781, 69' 428CJ, PPG BLACK. ERA 3005 Arctic White 331 SBF
Not Ranked     

Adding to this thread because I have NO SPARK. 69' 428, MSD-6AL, replaced coil, voltage reg. ignition switch. Did the paper clip test on the MSD, it was good. Car turns over quickly, but will not fire. Screwdriver in coil wire doesn't spark. Dist. is turning, rotor looks good, not carbon trails in cap. Battery fully charged and grounds checked.
Car ran great, then was hard to start, (20 secs. cranking) turned it off, then 40 sec cranking. one last start of close to a minute cranking, got it home and it will not spark now. I'm open to help, dash is out and i have power to ign. switch with power on and cranking. Beautiful day and I'm stuck!!! thanks guys
It's an ERA if that makes any difference
Old 07-04-2011, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #010 SC motorcars 428PI TKO600
Not Ranked     
Default MSD pu coil

I had a msd pickup coil in the dist go bad and that is how it acted, paper clip test said box was okay, but the pickup coil in the dist failed, replaced it and it worked. For the record it started to act up several days earlier, would be very hard to start, had to crank and crank and finally it would start, then it left me stranded at the store, no spark, had to tow it home, took a week for me to find the problem. Hope that helps.
David
Old 07-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murky781 View Post
Adding to this thread because I have NO SPARK. 69' 428, MSD-6AL, replaced coil, voltage reg. ignition switch. Did the paper clip test on the MSD, it was good.
When you do this, what is the result? Do you get a spark to ground?

1. Make sure the ignition switch is in the “Off” position.
2. Remove the coil wire from the distributor cap and set the terminal approximately 1/2" from ground.
3. Disconnect the MSD magnetic pickup wires from the distributor.
4. Turn the ignition to the On position. Do not crank the engine.
5. With a small jumper wire, short the MSD’s Green and Violet magnetic pickup wires together several times. Each time you break this short, a spark should jump from the coil wire to ground.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 781, 69' 428CJ, PPG BLACK. ERA 3005 Arctic White 331 SBF
Not Ranked     

To Dave... that's what went on with this. Haven't checked that yet..any easy way to do it? Patrick..I did that and I get a good spark to ground. I'm just lost as where to go. No spark from coil wire to ground by cranking.
thanks
Old 07-04-2011, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

One other item to mention, doesn't the coil frame require a ground also?

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 07-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Patrick..I did that and I get a good spark to ground. I'm just lost as where to go. No spark from coil wire to ground by cranking.
thanks
The the next step is to keep everything exactly the same and plug the magnetic pickup back in and crank it. If you see no spark going to ground while cranking then it is the magnetic pickup.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BTW, the gap between the reluctor wheel and the magnetic pickup should be about .028 to .030 of an inch. If it's really out of whack, that can keep it from sending the signal to trigger the spark.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you Patrickt.. No spark after replug. I'm guessing the magnetic pickup is that little blue thingy under my rotor? Hard to get a feeler gauge in there, but it looks like nothings moved way out of whack. Now where does one get a mag. pickup? MSG? Frustrated, but appreciate the help.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Magnetic pickup ..........replace it, you have an open circuit

Old 07-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thank you Patrickt.. No spark after replug. I'm guessing the magnetic pickup is that little blue thingy under my rotor? Hard to get a feeler gauge in there, but it looks like nothings moved way out of whack. Now where does one get a mag. pickup? MSG? Frustrated, but appreciate the help.
Here's a pic of it. Believe it or not, a lot of local auto parts stores will have them right there on the aisle. I know Pep Boys carries them around here.

Last edited by patrickt; 07-04-2011 at 12:44 PM..
Old 07-04-2011, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you guys. Love the help on here. Such a nice day and I'm stuck driving the truck. Love the car and my wife is pissed that we can't cruise today. Only 700 miles on it and still working out the bugs, but the driving learning curve is pretty steep, so I'm taking it slow anyway. I'll start reassembling the dash and steering so I might be ready tomorrow. Either that or pour a really big bourbon and say to heck with it!! Thanks sagain, and I'll let you know. Patrickt, I'll be seeing Peter P and the gang tomorrow morning anyway returning an ignigtion switch. I'll let them know you're in their corner all the time! Thanks
Old 07-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Patrickt, I'll be seeing Peter P and the gang tomorrow morning anyway returning an ignigtion switch. I'll let them know you're in their corner all the time! Thanks
My offer stands to pay them if they will just let me come and work there for them.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When you are installing it, if you get the MSD OEM unit, they caution you as to the correct magnet orientation. Get it wrong and you will open another can of worms. Do NOT crack it either. Be careful of the wires being connected properly, it it easy to do it wrong .