Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PANAVIA

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B,351w
Not Ranked     
Default 351w timing tab, where do I read timing at?

Hello guys,

I need some help on where to look on the timing tab to figure out the timing on my 351w. It is very difficult to see as I have a B&B with passenger side alternator mount.

My question is which mark on this timing tab will show where the timing is?
1) Do I look at where it says "time'?

2) Where the half circle cutout is? In between Time mark and round sight hole.

3) where the round "sight hole" is?

The last photo shows the marking on my balancer taken from underneath the car on DRIVERS SIDE. There was another white line on the 10 degree mark which got wiped clean by accident.

Any help is appreciated!!!

Old 02-15-2011, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Looks like you have a 1991 factory truck timing pointer and a 1988 balancer , which should work together.

curious where are the timing cover and water pump from, - and what is the firing order of the cam. --is it a 351W cam 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8>?

ideally that little pointer is bolted on the timing cover and the "TIME" point should intersect with the TDC ( white paint mark ) when the #1 cylinder is at Top dead center, ready to fire.

Depending on year of engine, the timing pointers were on either side.

in your 1991 case, it should be on the passenger side. you should be able to bolt it to the timing cover and align the marks.

-- as for timing , it is set anywhere between 10- and say 19 degrees initial depending on the camshaft grind , as appropriate for static timing at idle ( vacuum advance disconnected and plugged to set timing on the engine.) most 351W cams are set at 10-16' BTC, with total timing at 32 to 39 degrees at 2500-3000 rpm.

Hope this helps somewhat -- if you need more instruction let us know --
cdnus likes this.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 02-15-2011, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

On the edge where it says TIME.
An easy way to be absolutely sure is to take out the No. 1 sparkplug and insert a screwdriver (gently) and turn the engine over by hand until the piston is at the very top. (You can rock it back and forth to feel the very top)
Old 02-15-2011, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B,351w
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys,

Makes sense that I could check TDC and then look where the 0 is in correlation to the tab

Sorry I don't know the water pump and cover are from, but I was given a ton of receipts.

I unbolted the timing tab from the car for picture purposes. The car runs decently, but I've never checked the timing since I bought the car.

LAST QUESTIONS....
So let's say I want it at 10 degrees initial advance. Do I erase the white mark now placed at 0 and put a white mark at 10 BTC? And when that is lined up with the "TIME" mark on the pointer I'm at 10 initial?

What about Total timing using a dial back timing gun? Do I put the white mark at 0, rev engine, turn dial indicator on gun to say 32 and see if the white mark lines up with the "TIME" mark?

Thanks for your patience guys! I'm used Chevy's and having a timing pointer with the degrees on it, not the balancer.

Last edited by mbeers6; 02-15-2011 at 04:18 PM..
Old 02-15-2011, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You can use a "dial back timing light" preferably digital, the light will show total timing versus rpm when you keep the zero mark on your balancer on the time mark on your timing tab.

Example: Engine idling, marks lined up, light reads 16 degrees. Engine at 2500, marks lined up, light reads 32 degrees.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 02-16-2011, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

I'd leave the white mark where it is. It's there to make it easy to spot the 0 deg. With the engine idling and the vacuum disconnected from the dist. (if it has one) then set the timing at 10btc under the TIME mark. Rev the engine and make sure the mechanical advance changes but not past the max total timing.
10 deg is pretty advanced. If your trying to get more performance by advancing your timing, your gonna run into pre-ignition if you go any more. IMO

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: