21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 07-28-2011, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Digital 6-Ignition retard not kicking in at start up

Has anybody else experienced their MSD digital 6 box not activating the ignition retard upon cranking/starting? Mine is getting almost full advance at start up, which is causing knocking/preignition. Im going to call MSD later today, but i was just curious if anybody else on this particular forum had experienced this problem as well.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

How much retard do you have programed and where in the rpm band do you have it? No problems out of mine so far.

Steve
Old 07-28-2011, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

You shouldn't need any timing retard on startup unless you have the distributor locked out.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Brent, the point of that box is the ability to program your advance curve with precision. This is done by locking the advance out at the dizz and using the retard function of the box for everything else, including start retard. Right now I have my dizz locked out and set on 36 degrees. I have the box set to retard the timing back to about 10 degrees until the revs pass 1000 rpm. Then a slope to have it all in by 2800rpm. The box is wired for a MAP sensor so you could do a vacuum advance curve as well as all sorts of N2O/Turbo/SC stuff that I'm not using. I haven't had it on a dyno yet so I'm not sure how close I am to optimum either but it sure does feel good!

Steve
Old 07-28-2011, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Sorry, i have been chasing a fuel pump pressure issue and fuel level sender problem all day. I should not have posted this until i resolved the fuel pressure problem first. As soon as i have the pressure issue resolved, i will post the details and an update on the timing.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2011, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Right...

On a Digital 6, you have to tell it to do that. It's on one of the dials.

For a street compression engine I really don't see the need to do that (such as Chris' case) unless he has purposefully locked the distributor out.

It would be perfectly fine to run a set initial and a set advanced timing. Any starter (even including most stock starters) will turn over 10.5:1 without slow cranking.

If the compression were 12.5:1 or the dizz was locked out, then it would be nice to have.

Keep in mind that if the ignition retard was on and the engine was set up with a lower initial, with a lot of ignition retardation built into the box, it would be WAY retarded and probably wouldn't start without backfiring out the carb and throwing an absolute fit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: