28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2016, 11:48 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C John York 351
Not Ranked     
Default 12 volts?

Having an issue with charging. My gauge showed me charging at 13-14 volts, the alternator stater went bad and I had that repaired, bought a new circuit regulator, replaced the battery and ground cable and now the gauge is only reading just over 12 volts.......where am I missing what I had before?
Old 06-05-2016, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

It sounds like the gauge is reading battery voltage only (no charging). Either something else is broken/not fixed, or something is not connected correctly. Without knowing more about your particular car/engine/alternator/charging system, I can't offer much more.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 06-05-2016, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What does your gauge read when your RPM's are above 2,000?
Superformance #884 --- Sold
No more Furds.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Just because you put new parts in, it does not mean all parts are working. You could have gotten a bad part. You could have installed something incorrectly. You could have shorted and damaged a part during the install. I'm not trying to be mister negative here. We all make mistakes, and when things do not look right, odds are something is wrong.

I recommend verifying your voltage with a good multi meter, if you have access to one. See what the battery voltage is with key off. Then see what it is with the engine running.

I'm thinking a battery should be a bit under 13 volts with the key off. With the engine running above idle, I would expect 13.5 volts give or take. I would check at the battery. If that is quite different than your gauge, then I would test again at the gauge to confirm if it is the gauge or the connections.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:52 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John York built 351, new Pertronix igniter 2 with matching coil. I removed the Ford height set up per John and then I started having this problem.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

I would start with checking to be sure the alternator is working. With the key on take a voltage reading at the alternator, you should have 12 V. Once that is confirmed I would look at the connections at the voltage regulator, making sure you have continuity on all wires. Only a few things it can be. I had a similar issue and their was a fuseable link in my cable from the alternator to battery. That link was broken and hence no charging.

Phil
Old 06-05-2016, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Neutral     

If it's only showing 12 V it sounds like the alternator isn't receiving a signal to meet demand - meaning the voltage regulator may not be regulating. My experience with a bad VR was that the alternator defaulted to putting out a straight 12 V no matter what load was put on it. Fords based systems are kind of weird, the VR has to be excited to go into action.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:40 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok I have replaced the voltage regulator twice, jumped the alternator over to check if it would push 16 volts on the gauge.....it did so that told me it was charging, I then replaced the field wire from the alt. to the vr.....nothing so I then I replaced the alt wire from the vr. to the solenoid...still nothing
Old 06-06-2016, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mo Mars,

Based upon what you said, I think I would try a different battery. I recently had a brand new one fail right out of the box.

Phil
Old 06-07-2016, 03:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

As I said before, we need more detail in order to provide more than "here's what happened to me" advice. There are several types of alternators. Perhaps this link will help.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 06-07-2016, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
If it's only showing 12 V it sounds like the alternator isn't receiving a signal to meet demand - meaning the voltage regulator may not be regulating. My experience with a bad VR was that the alternator defaulted to putting out a straight 12 V no matter what load was put on it. Fords based systems are kind of weird, the VR has to be excited to go into action.
I am not sure how your system is wired, but tie a look at how it was previously wired before the changes. My MGB race car was not charging the battery and like Dan said, I had to wire in an idiot light so that the alternator would then get excited and send charge to the battery. Went from having 12.5 volts to the battery to 14 volts.

I am not sure what the Ford height setup is, but when you removed that things started going bad, may need to reconsider putting that back in and seeing what happens?
Old 06-27-2016, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had a fusible link in the alternator to battery feed which resulted in no charging. I would agree with checking continuity on wiring from VR to ALT and then battery to make sure you are not getting a drop somewhere in the circuitry.

Phil