• 1 Post By ninexrep

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2015, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 351C
Not Ranked     
Default electric choke

I need to hook up my electric choke but am a little confused as where to hook it up, car has a single wire alternator, g.m. style. Normally on a ford external regulator i think it should go to the stator, or s on the regulator, beings that it is a single wire where would i go? Any help would be great.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Hook it to any wire that is 12v when the key is on.

John
Old 10-24-2015, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

On the chance that you are another points ignition dinosaur like me, I hooked mine up to the ignition switch side of the ballast resistor. Since it had spade connectors I made up a little harness piece with female connector to the resistor and two male connections - one to the harness back to the switch and the other to the choke lead. That way it receives 12 volts. I would probably not try to wire it directly to the alternator.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: johnex
Not Ranked     

If I remember they were only 7 volts. So u can go key on pwr with a old dodge resistor. 12 volts made them open to quick.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 427SC 302 smallblock. 431 stroker in the works, tremec 3550
Not Ranked     

Here's another question that goes with this subject. Do you put a fuse or breaker in line with the power feed to the choke?
Old 10-25-2015, 04:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I installed a Holley choke kit on my car and the instructions did not say anything about separately fusing the lead to the choke - just wire in to a 12V source switched by the ignition switch.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/45-223
Old 10-25-2015, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR Build #1054 351W stroked to 427
Not Ranked     

Do yourself a favor and make it a hand choke rather than electric. On mine the electric choke opened way to fast resulting in being hard to start on occasions. Installing a manual choke cleared up the problem.
Luke427 likes this.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninexrep View Post
Do yourself a favor and make it a hand choke rather than electric. On mine the electric choke opened way to fast resulting in being hard to start on occasions. Installing a manual choke cleared up the problem.
It would appear some engines, for whatever reason, simply do not respond as hoped from cold with an electric choke.
My engine runs well and I played around for some time with the electric choke and playing with a wide variety of cold start settings.
In the end, I resorted to what so many drag race guys do, I just disabled it and use good old fashioned pedal modulation for the first 3-4 minutes from cold.
Works quite well and it does'nt get any easier, frankly.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 351C
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the help on where to wire the choke, it is wired now and starts a hell of a lot better now that it works and it's getting colder out thanks again!
Old 07-12-2016, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars, Ford 427 FE Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

My 427 with Holley electric choke is in that case. Some (fairly rare) times I end-up opening the hood, remove the airfilter bolt, take it of, flip the choke manually then it would immediately start.
I'm replacing the intake with a dual carb setup and will have manual choke
Old 07-13-2016, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C, Ford 427 Side-oiler 2x4 bbl
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I would probably not try to wire it directly to the alternator.
The/An advantage to using the alternator as a power source is, the bi-metalic spring doesn't heat up until the car is RUNNING as opposed to simply with the KEY ON (Engine Off).

A direct connection could result in the choke opening with the car sitting, Key On/Engine Off (KOEO).

Bottom line is, it's a personal choice. I personally would probably use the ignition as a power source but I would also fuse it between the resistor (or coil Pos (+) if I used it) and the choke element.

Better safe than sorry,

Phill Pollard
Old 07-13-2016, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

When I changed over to a non-choke carb, I traced the connecting wire back to the ignition switch. No resistor or fuse. Key on, choke operable.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

No choke on a Cobra for me, but if I were to install one, it would be a manual version for sure, Simple, works perfect and you are in total control
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear