• 1 Post By 427 Street

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-25-2019, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Need Battery Recommendation

I think my Optima Yellow Top is done, and I am done with these overpriced and unreliable batteries.

What other brands and models should I be looking at? Maybe something with a long warranty that I can get locally?

Thanks.

Jason
Old 12-25-2019, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I think the two top brands year after year are Duralast and Interstate. Can't go wrong with either of them.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 12-26-2019, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

I bought 4 Odyssey batteries for 4 different cars including my Cobra and Harley 10 years ago and all are still going strong!They are a military grade battery good for at least 12 years. They are not cheapest, but easy to get with free shipping. Customer support is also very good. I have spoken to their engineer multiple times. They are vibration proof and can be mounted in any position but upside down. In our Cobras we can get away with a lot smaller of a battery which is also much cheaper. I probably should have opted for that but I went with the biggest I could fit in the tray
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Old 12-26-2019, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

I've had Bosch glass mat battery for several years, with no complaints. Its located up in the RR wheel well and not easy access, so I didnt want to have to worry about electrolyte level. BTW, bought it at Pep Boys for well more than $100 less than an Optima.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 482ci sideoiler
Not Ranked     

Short answer, the Odyssey Extreme Series 35-PC1400T was given the highest score of 99 out of 100 in Consumer Reports testing, at approximately $300 it's expensive. I usually buy the Walmart Everlast Maxx batteries, which usually have decent ratings are only about $100, with a 3 year full replacement warranty. Battery longevity is directly related to how well you maintain it. Keep it on a smart charger or disconnect it if it is not used regularly, frequently discharged batteries will not last as long as ones kept at optimal voltages. Lead-Acid batteries need to have the fluid level checked at regular intervals and topped off with distilled water if not at optimal level. Battery terminal connections need to be kept clean and corrosion free. AGM batteries have advantages over lead-acid batteries but are usually more expensive. An internet search on this subject will return a wealth of information, should you choose to go down that rabbit hole.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:12 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I'm replacing my Interstate MegaTron II, MT-47, in the spring. It's eight years old and has started to show a little slowing down when cranking a hot engine on a hot day. My last MegaTron II I replaced at the six year mark, thinking it was failing. That turned out to be a flaky ignition switch and the MegaTron was probably just fine.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

these work great
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2019, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

I replaced my Yellow Top with a Kirkland Signature Group 34/78 flooded lead acid battery I bought at Costco Canada about 3 years ago. The last I heard these were made by Johnson Controls, but may be Interstate (costco.com says their batteries are Interstate).

This has top and side terminals, and I'm using the side terminals as my battery box is mounted on its side behind the passenger side rear wheel and the battery slides in from the side. Works like a charm.

I'm also running KS batteries in our daily drivers and have been for years - nothing but good luck with them. Costco Canada also carries AGM batteries, and I expect Costco in the USA does so as well, if you're so inclined.
Old 08-12-2021, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #472, Previous owner of ERA #677 427, ERA 289 FIA-USRRC Street
Not Ranked     

I thought I would revive this thread....any new recommendations in 2021?

My Group 24F needs replacing.

I was going to go with an Optima, which worked great in my FIA, but they do not have a Group 24F equivalent....I thought the Group 34R was very close.

I have Duracells in my bass boat, and they work well.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2021, 12:05 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I did replace my eight year old Interstate that spring (as per my post above). It was still strong even then. It's a monster of a battery and could well have made it to the ten year mark.
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I was going to go with an Optima, which worked great in my FIA, but they do not have a Group 24F equivalent....I thought the Group 34R was very close.
I replaced a lead/acid battery in my ERA with an Optima 34R a 4-5 years ago. It's worked flawlessly, and I don't miss the lead acid drips that my old battery exhibited. I have the 427 with the battery on the right side of the engine compartment. Not sure what might be different on your FIA.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #472, Previous owner of ERA #677 427, ERA 289 FIA-USRRC Street
Not Ranked     

CJ,

Thank you for the reply. I sold my FIA with an Optima in it, but I now own another 427 car....my battery is also located in the traditional front/passenger position. So, the Optima 34R is a good replacement for the conventional Group 24F?

Thank you again
Old 08-19-2021, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They have the same orientation of the + - terminals and the same width, length. The 34R is 1.125" shorter than the 24F though.
427 Street likes this.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

I replaced a yellow top battery which was 11yrs old with a red top in my trunk mounted FIA.
427 Street likes this.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 street car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 Street View Post
CJ,

Thank you for the reply. I sold my FIA with an Optima in it, but I now own another 427 car....my battery is also located in the traditional front/passenger position. So, the Optima 34R is a good replacement for the conventional Group 24F?

Thank you again
Bosch Group 24 has been in ERA#677 for over 7 years now and still cranking strong.
427 Street likes this.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjh View Post
Bosch Group 24 has been in ERA#677 for over 7 years now and still cranking strong.
Is that the same car that's my Avatar
jjh likes this.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 street car
Not Ranked     

Why yes sir, it is

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: