Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Indiana Cobra Enthusiasts (ICE)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2001, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 1237, 351 Sroked, 450hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Hamby
Not Ranked     
Default Engines

I recently purchased a Superformance, replica 1965 Cobra 427 S/C and now I'm looking for an engine to install in the car. I am leaning toward a 351w, possibly stroked. I live in Dyer, Indiana, which is approximately 25 miles from Chicago. Does anyone have a recommendation on a engine builder I can contact to build an engine for my car?
Old 12-20-2001, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We are going to go with Southern Automotive (www.southernautomotiveengines.com). Bill and Susan are very helpful, and they offer complete, test-run, powerful, engines at fair prices. I am pretty sure they have a 351W stroked to 393.
Old 12-20-2001, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Engines

Thank you for the referral of Southern Automotive. I will contact them tomorrow.

Since I first posted this thread I've done some more home work. At the moment I'm leaning toward a Ford crate engine, stroked to 392 CID. The info I received states the engine produces 430 HP( which is supposedly under rated). I'm thinking about putting a Barry Grant "Speed Deamon" carb on the engine, which should produce a few more ponies.
Old 12-20-2001, 09:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427FE (sold & missed)
Not Ranked     

Jay,

Did you get a chance to talk with Eric @ Competion Motorsports in Ross, OH?? That is who I have elected to do my engine build. I was also leaning toward one of the crate motors but after alot of research decided to have Eric build a 522 stroker. When is your car scheduled to arrive???

Brian

p.s. great choice of car!!!
Old 12-22-2001, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Engine Choice

I purchased my Superformance rolling chasis( #1237) last week from Dynamic Motor Sports and I've had extensive conversation with Eric, at Competition Motorsports, about engine selection. After much consternation I elected to order the Ford 392 crate motor. Eric is doing the install and I've upgraded to Berry Grant "Deamon" carb and the MSD ignition system.

It looks like the car should be ready for delivery by mid January. And I'm stoked about the thoughts of driving this car. Believe it or not, my wife's even excited. The color of this car is killer. I got an indigo blue with titanium stripes. The stripes match very well with the silver jet coated exhaust pipes.

Good luck with your car. It sounds like it's going to be a rocket. Eric defineately seems to know what he's doing and has the most experience in working with Superformance Cobras than any of the people I talked to. I'm sure you'll have an awesome car!

Have a wonderful Holiday Season and exciting motoring throughout the year.
Old 12-22-2001, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default engine choice

I chose the same engine. Another guy close to me has the 392 also and dyno'd it before installing and got a 427 hp on the first pull.
I used a modified Holley done by Davinci out of Texas. It a double pumper 750.
I had trouble with the ford distributer, the timing kept moving, so I pulled it out and put in a MSD distributer to go with the MSD coil and ignition and runs great.
You will be happy with it.
Oh, great color selection.
Dana
Old 12-23-2001, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Engine Choice

Dana,

You mentioned that you chose the same engine as the one I'm having installed, a Ford crate 5.8/351/392 CID Small Block.

I would appreciate hearing from someone with first hand experience on how do you like the engine? Has it performed the way you anticipated? Do you feel it is a reliable power plant? Do you like the driveability of the car with this engine? And if you had the chance to do it over, would you choose the same engine again or go with something else?

Boy, I guess it's not to hard to figure out this is my first true performance car.

Thanks for the input and have a great Holiday Season. Take care.
Old 12-24-2001, 03:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I drove a 460 and 392 before I chose. I rode in 514 which hooked me in the first place.
I of course wanted the 514, how could you go wrong with 600 hp.
I have several car guy in the neighborhood. Most said more is better, then one guy said he thought the same thing and worked his 400 so much it was undrivable except in a straight line.
I compromised.
I could have had the guy who installed it build me one with whatever hp I wanted, ( he builds 358 ci engines which put out 900hp for a living, they build and race them ), but he could not buy the parts for a FMS stroker for what I paid for it.
I bought it from FMS, had second thoughts before the car came in so the installer suggested NOS for the "just in case it did not have enought power". So I did NOS with a variable intake.
I love the engine so far. 1300 miles, changed the oil twice, finally tried the NOS for the first time. With the variable progressive intake it puts out 50, 75, 100, 125, 150 boost as the throttle goes the throw. It starts at half throttle, but only if I mash the pedal. Interesting ride.
With just the 392 it rides like a bat out of hell, you can get the rear end to wiggle all over the place on a hard launch, you can spin the tires if you want. With more power it would be more likely to spin with less throttle. I do not plan to take it to run the 1/4 mile more than a few times and am happy with this motor.

My $ .02
Dana

And definitely get a rev limiter, set the total timing to 36 degrees and lock it in. Runs great with good power at low rpm too.
Good luck. I am taking to dyno this week. I'll let you know.