Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Indiana Cobra Enthusiasts (ICE)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2004, 07:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classic
Not Ranked     
Default Kit Car Build School - May 2004

Make plans to visit Indianapolis during the month of May ---- racing season. Ivy Tech State College will be holding the Kit Car Build School on May 14-16.

The Kit Car Build School is a three-day workshop that will illustrate the build process while providing YOU with hands-on experience of building a replica of the Shelby Cobra. Realize a sense of accomplishment when you start with a bare metal frame on day one and end with a running car on day three. Learn tips and tricks that will steer you away from potential pitfalls or guide you to a polished machine. Experience new skills, we will teach you to bend tubing or solder wires. Hear about the industry from kit manufacturers to accessories shops and outsourcing.

The cost of the course is $999. Negotiated hotel rates are available close to campus and downtown Indianapolis. Join participants from around the country who have experienced Motorsports at Ivy Tech.

For more information, contact Scott Horvath at 317-921-4487 or shorvath@ivytech.edu

Ivy Tech State College is an open-access, non-profit state college located in Indianapolis, IN. The motorsports facility is located at 1331 E. Washington St., Indianapolis, IN. Registration for the course can be taken over the phone.
One West 26th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46206
317-921-4487 Office
317-921-4348 Fax
Old 04-27-2004, 01:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Dahorvat

Scott sounds like you have made some real progress there with the Cobra build program.

So you will build the Cobra from rolling kit to completion in three days?

Or is that a full build in three days?

Would love to see this - maybe next year if I get over for the DVSF, I will drop in on the way to our head office in Chicago.

Just talkiing yesterday with some Aussies here and was telling them about the small auto sales yards there south of the Ind. raceway that had Corvettes for $7,000 - $8,500.

From memory it was just down from McDonald's and I was looking in a yard that had a few newer Thunderbirds and walked across the road to a Auto repair shop next to the Corvettes yard.

The similiar cars here fetch $25,000 for a 80% 1975 model and about $27,000 for a 80% 80's model.

Just a it of trivia on prices

Good luck agin with the weekend build. Will keep an eye out for progress here.

Cheers

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 04-27-2004 at 01:33 AM..
Old 04-27-2004, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bernie,
This is a full build in three days with some prep work already completed - for example, fuel lines are already bent and cut to size but students will have an opportunity to learn how to bend and cut line in a side demonstration. Since we use the same car for each class, we are familiar with the car but surprises always come up. It's a great class for anyone who may be interested in a kit car OR has purchased one and is going through the build process. We represent the industry as a whole and have encouraged anyone in the industry to provide information that is available to the students.
As for that salvage yard, I haven't heard of it. Perhaps someone reading this will know the address.
One West 26th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46206
317-921-4487 Office
317-921-4348 Fax

Last edited by dahorvat; 04-27-2004 at 05:36 AM..
Old 04-27-2004, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scott

Sounds like you will be busy.

Hey don't worry about the yard, was just talking about the yard to a few guys here and prices. No big deal.

Made mention some time ago about a similiar school 'Cobra' build in South Australia.

Adelaide's Technical And Further Eucation Facility (T.A.F.E.) ran a course over some months for prospectives and owners of Cobra kits. They built the cars at the Tech. college and then completed paint etc. outside.

Most are going through registration at this time. This course ran over a number of months and covered welding, electrical, etc. etc.

If you wish to follow this up contact via email Nick at

nicklenthal@adam.com.au

Nick maybe able to assist with names and possibly emails of some involved.

Peter Benger is one of those who was involved throughout the entire process at the school. Peter was formally an aircraft traffic controller and went into the process of the build at the Tech. school.

For what its worth..

Cheers

Bernie
Old 04-27-2004, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bernie,

The great thing about having more than three days is the availability to show how to fabricate to accomodate bigger engines or other wants. My previous post may have also mislead in that we do not do paint or body work during the class. We encourage our students to outsource certain jobs. So on Sunday when the class finishes up, the car roars out of the garage in it's gel coat. It is an intensive three days but we encourage the students to take lots of pictures to document it. That way they can remember the pieces and parts. Electrical is another catch for students. Having more than a few hours to discuss electrical would be great. We source Painless and Centech to the students. Sure beats the donor wiring harness which we do use in class.

Scott
One West 26th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46206
317-921-4487 Office
317-921-4348 Fax
Old 05-05-2004, 11:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scott

Sorry did not get back as I have been interstate working on my Cobra and a lot of business.

The Painless wiring system does make things a lot easier.

The project in gel coat and completed is still a big job over the time allowed.

Good to talk with you. Will keep an eye out for photos etc.

Cheers

Bernie