Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > JBL-- JBL Larry G.

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-31-2008, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     
Default weigh-in on jbl

total wt. 2350 with aluminum motor, comp windscreen, dr. side roll bar only, small amount fuel in tank.

left side 52%

front 45%

could lose another 50# with lt. wt. battery and t5. maybe some wt if carpet/insulation/tar backing was not in place.

not bad!

i think i like the comp windscreen better than the full length job, 30#'s and $700 difference at the track and a kind of "my ass is hanging out there" feeling.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Porsche 928 S4
Not Ranked     

Vector1,

You could really lose some pounds by using real race wheels and tires.

The Compomotive wheels and road tires are really heavy. In the area of 250 pounds or more total.

Also the carpet set is a bit heavy as you stated and I think that the PO put in some sound deadening mat as well which is just plain heavy tar.

But she is looking pretty sweet no matter what her weight may be.

It is about time for some track outings isn't it?

Why is the left side heavy?

Remember that you need to unhook the anti-roll bar links to set corner weights.

Richard Hudgins
Old 01-01-2009, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Is your weight in the drivers seat?

Vector1 Is this with your weight in the drivers seat or your weight? Don't forget the helmet and drivers suit and gloves. If you are going racing a Kirbley driving seat should be added. After going with a low back seat to a road race seat, I will need go back. One other small note, get someone to check the height of the rollbar with you in the car strapped in and the helmet on. You want about 2" above your helmet. I am sure Rich H has already said something if you are going track racing. If it gets serious, add a cage. I have a 5 point cage with a door bar that fits inside the car with no cutting of the body. Pain to get in and out of the car but safety is first. Car looks good. My car is a 50-50% left to right side with the battery in the trunk and a 48-52% front to rear setup. Down the road get a tire temp gauge. This will show you what the car is doing on the track and what adjustments to make for better handling. Talk to Rich about your spring and shock setup. I added springs that are 40% higher rated for the track over the street setup and went with a QA1 shocks over the Spax ones. Alot more adjustments to work with. Dampening and rebound. Good luck with the car. Unless the motor is drysump, again talk to Rich about adding a accusump 3 quart to the car for autocross racing or roadracing. High speed G turns with give you no or very low oil pressure. Motor don't live long without this. If you rebuild the motor every year, don't worry about it. It has save my motor twice from rocker shafts breaking. Good luck Rick L.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hello richard

the %'s are with driver, the total is without, little deceiving there. it was scaled without the roll bars hooked up. i set the cross to 50%, i guess this is correct.

i am looking for another set of wheels if anyone has any recommendations. i believe the kumho is a pretty good tire. if somebody could get me a set of dymag's for 500 a pop i would be forever grateful.

i need to call you sometime and discuss some more top secret under the table information.

rick

i think i have all those bases covered or richard has designed the car in like manner. regarding the side intrusion i'll just have to make sure i keep my door shut to keep the riff-raff out!

i did get a little street time before weather set in and all i can say is this car is going to be a blast! hunting season starts in march!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default You better be careful when hunting

Vector1 You better becareful hunting. The new ZO9 and 07 vettes are no easy pray any more. The Mongoose guys have the Grand Sports running well. I will skip Jeff Swantz with his yellow twin turbo car. Cheetahs, Dragons with aluminium frames, Superlites, and a few others out there may have you looking like Elmer Fudd and Buggs bunny is running laps around you. Look and see who the fastest car at the R&G was this year. This answer comes out in the last KITCAR mag in a couple of weeks. It was not a cobra or vette. Have fun and becareful. Live with in the limits of your car. This is rule number 1.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i know who the fastest was at run n gun, i've talked to him. i also have one of the stalkers in the shop cept i was sidetracked by the jbl before i could finish it. i changed mine to a three link and redid the r&p, the way they are made with the twin trailing arms on each side the suspension binds and they can't transfer the wt and the rear locks on acceleration, i fixed that with a 3-link, just have to finish it, don't have the ls motor though.

regarding the jbl, i have a line on a 600/530 rwhp engine but don't know if i want to spend the money. i don't think the engine in there now has the power to keep up with the higher hp types. wish i would have found this before i started mine.

i don't figure to use 90% of the cars potential, but if you're not breaking rule #1 where's the fun?

the way the jbl is designed and enough hp, well, could make for an interesting year!
Old 01-01-2009, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

reference the engine in there now, pulled the engine to fix a tranny & tb leak and pulled the pan and everything looks good so i'll use it this year and maybe next year rebuild for more hp. give everyone a chance!