Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Keith Craft Racing

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FRR MKIII 408w
Not Ranked     
Default Distributor gear failed

I have 2,945 miles on my FFR cobra with one of your 408w (eco) motors. Motor stopped running pulled distributor off and half of the distributor gear has been shredded off. The motor has had 3 oil and filter changes. Please advice on how you will correct this situation.
Thank you
Charles Roybal
Old 11-20-2010, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

Get me the complete name on the customer that purchased the engine so that I can get the file. Do you know if it is a Polymer type material. Comp Cams had us using some of these and we had problems with some of them breaking. I will need to look up the information on the camshaft to see what gear we should put on it. I would chamge the oil and maybe flush the oil pan through the dist hole with diesel or some type of cleaner that will run any little parts of the gear out.
If you will send us the distributor we will get the gear replaced with one that should work fine for you and you can then re-install and be going again.

Thanks, Keith Craft
870-246-7460
Old 11-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles roybal View Post
I have 2,945 miles on my FFR cobra with one of your 408w (eco) motors. Motor stopped running pulled distributor off and half of the distributor gear has been shredded off. The motor has had 3 oil and filter changes. Please advice on how you will correct this situation.
Thank you
Charles Roybal
Have you tried to contact Keith directly?

Edit: Keith responded at the same time that I posted.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 11-20-2010, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP500 LeMans- Roush 451 Shelby block; KMP Flip-top with cammer: KMP 289 Bronze under construction.
Not Ranked     

I had that happen to me once. The builder put in a steel gear instead of brass. I ended up taking off my oil pan and removing the pieces with a magnet. Problem solved. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

Should be a pretty quick fix if we can get the distributor. Give Tony or Lance a call Monday at 870-246-7460 and we will see what we can do to get you going again real quick.

Thanks, Keith
Old 11-21-2010, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now that's customer service, something you wouldn't see with most larger builders!!!
Old 11-21-2010, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithc8 View Post
Get me the complete name on the customer that purchased the engine so that I can get the file. Do you know if it is a Polymer type material. Comp Cams had us using some of these and we had problems with some of them breaking. I will need to look up the information on the camshaft to see what gear we should put on it. I would chamge the oil and maybe flush the oil pan through the dist hole with diesel or some type of cleaner that will run any little parts of the gear out.
If you will send us the distributor we will get the gear replaced with one that should work fine for you and you can then re-install and be going again.

Thanks, Keith Craft
870-246-7460
Keith,
Thanks for responding. The invoce(#17393) states composite dist gear item number 35100,comp camshaft #35-426-8,pum#M-83HV,oil pump shaft HD #M6605-A341.I will send out the dist. Monday A.M.
Charles Roybal
Old 11-21-2010, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Is it just me or should this be handled off line?
Old 11-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Is it just me or should this be handled off line?
I wouldn't mind hearing whether the new gear is going to be another composite or whether it's going to be one of the steel ones that Max was mentioning on the other thread and which is pictured below. http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...utor_Gear.aspx

Old 11-21-2010, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Pics of gear failure

KC class act...will send dist to him Monday.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would have thought it would have been a courtesy to call KC off line, but now that is in the open no foul. Once again KC stands behind his work and it is a win win. As far as pieces in the sump, obviously the best is to remove a the pan and clean, 15 minute job with a 4 post lift. The second is to drain the oil. Bottom line is as long as a piece does not hurt the oil pump, and there is an inlet screen to the oil pump then it will never get back in your engine. I did testing on oil filters and THEY DONT BYPASS, so even if a piece went through the oil pump it would be caught by the filter. The oil pump is a beast of unit, I am confident it would pulverize any pieces and the oil pump would never know it.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That is the one I use on a 8120 steel billet cam and there are zero signs of wear on either. Be very very very carefull. If you had a cast iron gear and a steel gear next to each other most could not tell the difference. So make sure the package is sealed when you get it. This does not apply to this incident since KC will address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I wouldn't mind hearing whether the new gear is going to be another composite or whether it's going to be one of the steel ones that Max was mentioning on the other thread and which is pictured below. http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...utor_Gear.aspx

Old 11-21-2010, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I will have to double check the camshaft material and see which gear we will need to use. Comp had us using this gear and we do not use it any more. Will get it handled and right back to you.

Thanks, Keith
Old 11-21-2010, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Make sure you talk to KEITH, if you listen to me you might get Fu**ed. He is the only one that knows if it is a steel billet or SADI core. You use my gear on a SADI core and it will destroy it. This gets back to you should have called KC from the get go!!!!!!!

Visually a SADI core looks much thicker between the lobes than a steel billet. The one you see on Summit and Jegs pic are usually SADI, in order to get the steel billet you need to special order. Gets back to talking with your engine builder.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default follow-up

Kieth,
Just a follow up want to make sure you got the directive distributor. Sent it on 11-22-10. Sent Lance e-mail.
Thanks
Charles
Old 12-03-2010, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kieth,
Just to verify...the gear on the dizzy has 2 pins holding to the shaft ...there is a third hole with no pin in it. This OK.?

Thanks
Charles