Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Keith Craft Racing

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2019, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Unhappy Craft engine

Dear all

I belong to the Cobra club in France et I often visit this forum which is very interesting.

I ordered in july 2018 to CRAFT ENGINE a complete engine for my COBRA (engine + gearbox). As of today CRAFT ENGINE is unable to give me a date of delivery. For more than 5 months, they tell me having problems with the supplier of heads. I am really upset about this situation and I feel anxious because I transfered a huge amount of money and I never received a purchase order or a confirmation number nor general condition of purchase.
I called them several times and they always give me the same answer : We have a problem with the supplier of heads and it is the same everywhere in US.

Has someone heard about this problem with CRAFT ENGINE or with its supplier ? Is CRAFT ENGINE facing a difficult financial situation ?

Thanks in advance for your help and comments.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

What engine type are they building for you and what heads?
Old 02-16-2019, 02:16 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Blue Thunder is always a crap shoot. BBM's page says their heads ship in two to three weeks. Edelbrocks are available everywhere and just need staging up to whatever you want to spend. I don't know if they would go with Barry R.'s heads or not. I think there must be some other problem.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It is a block 427FE with Edelbrock Stage II CNC big valves 2.25 / 1.75 cylinder heads. If there is another problem I would like to know what it is? Will Craft not plan to close? Did they favor another client who would have benefited from the head that were intended for me ...? Forgive my language, I use Google translate

Last edited by Stefun17; 02-16-2019 at 02:36 PM..
Old 02-16-2019, 02:39 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefun17 View Post
It is a block 427FE with Edelbrock Stage II CNC big valves 2.25 / 1.75 cylinder heads. If there is another problem I would like to know what it is? Will Craft not plan to close? Did they favor another client who would have benefited from the head that were intended for me ...? Forgive my language, I use Google translate
Well that's strange. You can get the Stage III version from them off of eBay in about ten days. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Edelbro...-/192202372651
Old 02-16-2019, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mine are stage II
Thanks for the link, I'm going to ask them why Stage III are available immediately on ebay and not Stage II
Old 02-16-2019, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefun17 View Post
You may want to investigate legal proceedings. Just speculation but because you are in a different country they may be taking advantage of you.
In my opinion a much better choice would be either Barry Robotnick or Brent Lykins. For starters, their horsepower numbers are real. I have also heard Shelby Engine company is producing good products now.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have an engine built by Craft.
Build time was 4 months but felt like 4 years.
There were over 30 engines waiting for parts ahead of mine.
Your wait time seems exceedingly long.
My suggestion is call them for a laundry list of what they are waiting for.
If you find an alternate source, it is possible
to procure those parts within the US, ship to Craft
and have them deduct cost from final amount due. The Lance Smith (owner) I know is an honorable man and will finish your engine.

Google Translator to French

avoir un moteur construit par Craft.
Le temps de construction était de 4 mois mais semblait être de 4 ans
Plus de 30 moteurs attendaient des pièces avant la mienne.
Votre temps d'attente semble excessivement long.
Ma suggestion est les appeler pour une liste de blanchisserie de ce qu'ils attendent.
Si vous trouvez une source alternative, il est possible
pour acheter ces pièces aux États-Unis, expédier à Craft
et demandez-leur de déduire le coût du montant final dû. Le Lance Smith (propriétaire) que je connais est un homme honorable et finira votre moteur.

Last edited by Unique427; 02-16-2019 at 06:42 PM..
Old 02-16-2019, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique427 View Post
I have an engine built by Craft.
Build time was 4 months but felt like 4 years.
There were over 30 engines waiting for parts ahead of mine.
Your wait time seems exceedingly long.
My suggestion is call them for a laundry list of what they are waiting for.
If you find an alternate source, it is possible
to procure those parts within the US, ship to Craft
and have them deduct cost from final amount due. The Lance Smith (owner) I know is an honorable man and will finish your engine.

Google Translator to French

avoir un moteur construit par Craft.
Le temps de construction était de 4 mois mais semblait être de 4 ans
Plus de 30 moteurs attendaient des pièces avant la mienne.
Votre temps d'attente semble excessivement long.
Ma suggestion est les appeler pour une liste de blanchisserie de ce qu'ils attendent.
Si vous trouvez une source alternative, il est possible
pour acheter ces pièces aux États-Unis, expédier à Craft
et demandez-leur de déduire le coût du montant final dû. Le Lance Smith (propriétaire) que je connais est un homme honorable et finira votre moteur.
Agree - my experience was similar and I have always had great support and responsiveness from Lance at Craft. My FE took about 90 days. I also did not have to pay it all in advance.

Not sure what the comment about “horsepower is real” above is all about. My FE was built by Craft and the dyno sheet power and tq numbers seem in line with what I have seen elsewhere for engines of similar spec.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you for your answers, my interlocutor is currently an employee and I have never had contact with Lance. My order is important and expensive: engine, cluth, gearbox and accessories. Maybe this employee has instructions to put other engines in priority of mine. Could you give me Lance Smith's direct contact because a contact with him might be able to unblock the situation before considering a legal proceedings.
@Cobra 3170 "Just speculation but you're in a different country." Yes that's my feeling.
I'm part of Club Cobra France and here Craft had a good reputation, but my experience is starting to be known and some colleagues of the club who waited to see the reception of my engine to eventually order one too, are starting to change their minds about Craft.

Last edited by Stefun17; 02-17-2019 at 03:13 AM..
Old 02-17-2019, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Craft Performance Engines 870-246-7460
Central US Time vs France is 7 hours.
Call Craft before things get busy 9-10 a.m. Central US.
Because your call is international it is advised to arrange the time of call in advance.

Last edited by Unique427; 02-17-2019 at 09:50 AM..
Old 02-17-2019, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Who specifically are you dealing with at Keith Racing? I live about 100 miles from them and they built my engine about 8 years ago before Keith Craft sold the business but they were - and as far as I know, still a reputable company. I think Lance is now the principal owner and contacting him directly may help.

I will tell you that they are a small, out in the country side, but productive company and at least at the time I did business with them they were shipping engines internationally and supplying engines to Kirkham. I have to believe they will get the head issue resolved and get you your engine and transmission, although there may be some delays due to parts or workload.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I have been to KC several times. There are a reputable company.

We have bought several motors from them through the years. Great bunch of guys. Like Dan EC said there are a small company but sell a lot of motors.
If there is a problem and we had some, they will fix it.

I talked Lance last summer at the London Cobra show. He worked for Keith before he bought the business. Great guy.

Don't worry just call and talk to Lance.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

IMHO, given this situation a stand-up owner would take the time to contact the customer directly, apologize for the delay, explain in detail what has caused it, and offer up some form of reparations for the below-grade customer service (regardless of whether it’s in his/her control). This customer should not have to be forced to jump through hoops for a large upfront financial commitment as this.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

@ACademic : Being myself in the business I totally agree with you.

@other : Thank you for your reassuring messages, my contact at Craft is Tony Loy, we agreed to remember in 10 days to make a checkpoint, if things have not changed I will try to contact Lance but the problem is that when I call 870-246-7640 I fall directly on Tony.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

wrong phone number------should be 870-246-7460
Old 02-17-2019, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just call and ask for Lance. I’m certain he will sort it out and offer apologies for the delay.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes sorry it's : 870-246-7460
Old 02-17-2019, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Can anyone confirm a Tony Loy does work for Craft?

This seems impossible to believe. Craft has a great history, and Lance is as nice a person to talk to, as you will find anywhere.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
Can anyone confirm a Tony Loy does work for Craft?

This seems impossible to believe. Craft has a great history, and Lance is as nice a person to talk to, as you will find anywhere.
Tony Loy has a long history with Craft and is a masterful engine builder.

He is also the guy who usually answers the phone when Lance is out.

As DanEC stated, Craft is a small company in a very small town with a widely known reputation.

Last edited by Unique427; 02-17-2019 at 09:58 AM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: