Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Keith Craft Racing

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-10-2008, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum 427 S/C with KC FE 482 Shelby
Not Ranked     
Default Weight difference KC 482 / KC SBF 427 street

Does anyone have an idea / figuresin regard to the weight difference between the KC 482 Shelby and the KC 427 SBF street?

Thanks in advance for any reply.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 2489 kc 427
Not Ranked     

I'm wondering about this myself. ANYBODY?
Old 07-24-2008, 11:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello folks,

List the differences in the mtrs and everyone could guess. A stroked motor is pretty much the same weight, except for the external balancer and perhaps more dense forged vs cast components I'd guess. But a weigh in is the only way to know.

cheers,
Mike
Old 07-25-2008, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     

did anyone call Kieths shop????
Old 07-25-2008, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Are you talking aluminum block, aluminum headed big block vs. iron block aluminum headed small block?

From a post by JGC

"Hi all,

I just weighed my FE with all accessories, starter, flywheel, carb, expansion tank, and alternator. It is an all aluminum 482, Pond block from Keith Craft. No oil or antifreeze and it weighed 487 pounds.

I remember back when you wanted 1 horsepower per cubic inch. This is 1 pound per cubic inch. I am very happy with this. This works out to be about 1.4 HP per pound.

Hope this info is helpful,

JGC"

Joe Weight

The Ultimate in Aluminum Bodied Replicas

Last edited by Joe@KMS; 07-25-2008 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: added info
Old 07-25-2008, 09:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     
Default Engine weight

If you compare the aluminum FE engine with the SBF 427 engine with a cast iron block I believe the FE will be a little lighter but if you use an alunimu block in the small block you will save about 100lbs.
The aluminum FE does help take weight of the front of the car compared to an original for sure. We did some comparing on engines weight a few years back and I will see if I can find that information. Thanks, Keith
Old 01-31-2011, 10:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would like to know more about the cooling efficiency and results from extended duration hi-load dyno runs for street & circuit type race use . Drag race results of limited duration prove the porting & flow rates are good. Actual water jacket volume & coolant surface area appear to be minimal if they are indeed cut from a one piece solid billet.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

Have not seen any problems with either combination when the cooling system on the car was correct.

Thanks, Keith
Old 04-01-2011, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC427 View Post
Does anyone have an idea / figuresin regard to the weight difference between the KC 482 Shelby and the KC 427 SBF street?

Thanks in advance for any reply.
All aluminum?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, 427w
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithc8 View Post
If you compare the aluminum FE engine with the SBF 427 engine with a cast iron block I believe the FE will be a little lighter but if you use an alunimu block in the small block you will save about 100lbs.
The aluminum FE does help take weight of the front of the car compared to an original for sure. We did some comparing on engines weight a few years back and I will see if I can find that information. Thanks, Keith
Keith, would alum heads, intake and water pump on the SBF change your estimate?
Matt
Hurricane Motorsports #1053; 427w

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: