Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham and Hurricane Dealer in Mexico www.kitcarsmexico.com
Send a message via Skype™ to Kit Cars Mexico
Not Ranked     

Wowwwwwww !
Old 03-13-2010, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Okay, sorry for the long time between posts, but I had caught a bit of a cold and then work got really busy, so not any time in the workshop. I did get some time in tonight, then watched qualifying for Bahrain, then snapped some photos to post, then I'm off to bed. Hope you enjoy the progress, it's really coming along...

I think I will start working on the engine block now, so I should have some photos of that progress up soon... stay tuned and thanks for watching

Garey
Old 03-13-2010, 10:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This is so interesting to watch this come together! Nice work!
Larry
Old 03-14-2010, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 289 FIA #2112
Not Ranked     

just caught this thread, all I can say is AWESOME!

M-A
Old 03-14-2010, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #086 ,351 Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

This is one of the most amazing builds i have ever seen.It truly is like watching the 1:1's being built back in the day.... Always a pleasure and a thrill to see the progress....

Frank
Old 03-14-2010, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Got a good start on the engine block today. I turned a piece of 1/2" brass rod as the starting point, made the endplates and drilled them to slide onto the rod for integrity and a solid place to drill for the pulleys on the front and a strong mount for the bellhousing and transmission, on the rear. The biggest pain of constructing this was the cylinder bank offsets. It all came out alright, though. The last photo is the obligatory motor-in-frame shot. Enjoy...

Thanks again for watching...

Garey
Old 03-14-2010, 10:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

I just read through this thread. This is pretty cool.

If I may offer a suggestion...

You need to make the body tubes after you make the body to make sure they are in the right place. The body tubes are actually the most difficult part of making a car because they move when you are trying to mount the body. I will get the CAD file of the body and see if we can mill out a 1/8 buck for you. Making a body by hand will be a real trick out of sheet metal. True to scale would be only 0.006 or 0.007 thick. Not too much to work with there.

Unfortunately, we are really tied up right now with a pretty cool Hot Rod project that taking up all my spare time. Congrats on a super cool project. We have you in mind!

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 03-14-2010, 10:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post

You need to make the body tubes after you make the body to make sure they are in the right place. The body tubes are actually the most difficult part of making a car because they move when you are trying to mount the body. I will get the CAD file of the body and see if we can mill out a 1/8 buck for you. Making a body by hand will be a real trick out of sheet metal. True to scale would be only 0.006 or 0.007 thick. Not too much to work with there.

Unfortunately, we are really tied up right now with a pretty cool Hot Rod project that taking up all my spare time. Congrats on a super cool project. We have you in mind!

David

All you'll need is a 1/8 scale English Wheel and planishing hammer!
Larry
Old 03-15-2010, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post

David
David, I am glad you are enjoying this thread... I would love to take you up on the offer of a buck in 1/8th. I have been all over your site and photo albums and have been using all of your info as reference, from day 1 of this build. What a great wealth of info you guys have offered to everyone to view! I accept your input on the body tubes and will clarify my intentions of building the complete frame before I have the body with 2 words... Wow factor. The frame is a tough thing for most people to visualize that are not or have not been around these cars, so adding the body tubes lets them "see" the shape a little better. I have this build posted on a couple of modeling forums also and unless the viewer has seen an actual Cobra frame in the raw, they have no clue which end is which. I figured I would have to do some tweaking or even re-building of the body tubes at the point of the mating of the body to the frame. Building critical parts in 1/8th scale is tough... actually an imperfect science. As you well know, being off a 64th in 1;1 is not too bad when dealing with the frame tubes. Being off a 64th in 1/8th is an 1/8th of an inch, which is huge. I need the body before I can due much adjusting, but being able to show off the frame before I can hammer out a body, makes everybody more interested in the build... and for non-Cobra types a little more able to see where it's going. I'll send you a PM to talk more about it, which you can answer when you have the time... I am quite sure you're a busy man, even without the Hot Rod project you're involved in...

Garey
Old 03-15-2010, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Beautiful. pick the frame up with your hands and take a picture to give us a size perspective.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bruce View Post
Beautiful. pick the frame up with your hands and take a picture to give us a size perspective.
Will do... I'll snap that photo tonight and post it... if I can hold it up that long, Lol! It's heavy already and the drivetrain isn't even in it yet...

Garey

Here you go, 2 of the frame and 1 of the block...

Garey

Last edited by bmwmech1; 03-15-2010 at 08:34 PM..