Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 10:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Neutral     
Default Kirkham Wheelchairs

Fellow Car Nuts:

I didn't want to hijack the 427 FE thread--so I started a new one. I guess a few of you are wondering about my comments on wheelchairs. Here's the story.

Back in November, the LDS Church invited me and my wife to the annual Humanitarian Dinner. The dinner is held every year for those who have donated to the Church's Humanitarian efforts. As many of you remember, we donated a car to the Church for the relief of the tsunami victims in Indonesia a few years back. During the dinner, there was a presentation on the Church's wheelchair project.

During the presentation, they mentioned in passing they were having problems with the quality of the wheelchairs, as they were breaking in the rough terrain and streets of 3rd World Countries. They were very concerned because they wanted to find a way to fix the problem to continue to improve the lives of the people they were able to give mobility to.

I thought to myself, "Metal? Welding? Metallurgy? Wheels? Mobility? Isn't that what Kirkham Motorsports is all about?" So, after the dinner I went up and volunteered our services to redesign the wheelchair for manufacturability and durability in harsh realities of those countries. Some of you may remember I was a missionary in Peru (until I was transferred to California because of Typhoid) and so I have lived among desperate people.

I consider this the most important Hot Rod project we have ever undertaken. I hope to have a prototype soon.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."

Last edited by David Kirkham; 03-19-2010 at 06:31 AM..
Old 03-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Some of you may remember I was a missionary in Peru (until I was transferred to California because of Typhoid) and so I have lived among desperate people.

Hey! I know we're screwed up over here, but geez!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I just don't know what to say. I watched that video 2 times now. Words can not describe the emotion you feel by just seeing.

God Bless You, David
Old 03-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Ralphy...that's why our tin cans have soul.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I'm still choked up, seeing people finally being able to just sit, relax and then be mobile!

Ralphy
Old 03-19-2010, 12:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

David,

A powerful video with a powerful message. You, your family, your company and your Church community have done so much for so many, thank you all.

I look forward to seeing the prototype and finished product, an awesome project!

Regards,

- Tim
Old 03-19-2010, 03:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters '66 427 Replica-SOLD
Not Ranked     

OUTSTANDING VIDEO!!!

WE SHOULD NEVER TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED.....and thank God for all we have....if it is nothing but good health!!!

Thanks David!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP500 LeMans- Roush 451 Shelby block; KMP Flip-top with cammer: KMP 289 Bronze under construction.
Not Ranked     

Another great project! Let us know how we can help. Be safe in Haiti and send back some build pictures of the house. Peace, Darren
Old 03-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

Thankyou. It's funny how easy it is to take what you have for granted.

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 03-19-2010, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2VENOM View Post
Another great project! Let us know how we can help. Be safe in Haiti and send back some build pictures of the house. Peace, Darren
Thanks for the call. I appreciate it more than you know. I have been stopping people in wheelchairs at car shows, in the store and where ever I see them to ask them about their chairs--what they like, what they dislike, how can they be improved, etc. They are universally happy to give me their suggestions and input.

I got in a wheelchair (the Church left me one here in my office) and wheeled down the road, purposefully hitting all the potholes, ruts, and rocks I could find. After about 20 yards, I started yelling, THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY!!! THIS SUCKS! After 1/2 mile I was winded, my hands ached, my arms throbbed. I was mad, angry, and determined to make a better chair. I can only imagine (poorly) what it must be like to be in a chair. There has to be a better way. A customer passed me on while I was wheeling down the road and he just started laughing and smiled. When I got back to the shop he said, "So, when can we expect to billet chairs?"

When we get back from Haiti I will dive deeper into the design issues. Thank you for your suggestions--I WILL be calling you.

David

Last edited by David Kirkham; 03-19-2010 at 09:52 AM..
Old 03-19-2010, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

great video pulls at your heart. I have to be greatful for my health . get job
Old 03-19-2010, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Great video, very worthwhile project, congratulations to you for giving back in yet another way.

How long before you can put an FE in that billet chair you are building?

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 03-19-2010, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 2343-SOLD
Not Ranked     

David & Tom,

God bless you for the wheelchairs, I was very moved by the video, you have done a
wonderful thing. We really don't realize what goes on in the world until something
like this video bring us down to reality.

John Seagraves
Old 03-19-2010, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     

I think it is so refreshing to see such a positive attitude to those in need.

I find it also refreshing to see someone proud to be inspired to take an active part in their religious community. Well done.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

David, you just continue to impress the hell out of me.

I have been on a number of medical missions to thrid world countries around the world. in '97 or so, I went to Ariquipa, Peru. Those missions (Peru in particular) have opened my eyes to a whole differant world.

Here's an idea for a wheel chaai. Normal propulsion is with the hands directly on the large rear wheel. On the flat and level, that's fine. As you already know, rough terrain or uphill can be impossible. Maybe you could design some kind auxillary gear drive for tough travel. A smaller gear that would drop down onto another gear on the back of the wheel. Operate the gear with a crank handle. It would double or triple the their arm strength when needed. Then move it up and out of the way when not needed.

Make the gear a ratchet, so it can't roll backwards while engaged.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Seagraves View Post
David & Tom,

God bless you for the wheelchairs, I was very moved by the video, you have done a
wonderful thing. We really don't realize what goes on in the world until something
like this video bring us down to reality.

John Seagraves
The world is a big place. There is a lot more out there than most people realize. I think everyone should see the desperate poverty many people in this world live in. Some people literally live hand to mouth. Then, take away their mobility and the suffering is unimaginable. The poverty I saw in Peru (and other places) will forever be with me. There must be a better way.

David
Old 03-19-2010, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

perhaps we can put a program in place to buy a few wheel chairs....or maybe you could tie a sale of your cars to raising money for wheel chairs...hmmm
Old 03-19-2010, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgs365 View Post
perhaps we can put a program in place to buy a few wheel chairs....or maybe you could tie a sale of your cars to raising money for wheel chairs...hmmm
I have thought about that on many occasions.

David
Old 03-19-2010, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

It's hard to find words that describe what a great humanitarian you are
Old 03-20-2010, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Well done David. I have worked with organisations for the handicapped for 30 years in Indonesia. Other than design, the main problems are price and maintenance. Let's hope that you come up with something that is a breakthrough.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.