Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: 31XX Car
Not Ranked     
Default Avons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
OK, they are, without a doubt, the bestest damn tire for a Cobra. No groove hunting on the freeway, a firm yet supple ride, grip like velcro.

I went with 245s/295s and they fit perfectly.

Assolutely mucho muy goodo.*

*My highest rating.

Installed pictures please Jamo.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think I'm going Avon as well...

I just recently bought Goodyear GT-II's to replace my worn out BB's, which I loved. The GT's were just readily available at a decent price and I needed tires NOW, so.... Big mistake. Once you get used to decent traction, like the BB's offer, it's hard to go back to slippery slide, which is what the GT-II's are all about. Worthless on the street.

I hate to do it, but I hate the GT's even more. I'm afraid I'll be ponying up the dollars for Avon's soon. Currently running those Goodyear slicks, hand grooved, Krause. I've had them on the track and some on the highway. WOW, the traction is stunning, unreal, like on rails, of course their paper thin and hunt like crazy.

Oh, 245 and 295 please, I want all the rubber I get on the road.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Currently running those Goodyear slicks, hand grooved, Krause. I've had them on the track and some on the highway. WOW, the traction is stunning, unreal, like on rails, of course their paper thin and hunt like crazy.
Ernie - Except the hunting, how is the general handling feel of the grooved slicks on the street, relative to what you've run before? That bad to where you want to get rid of them?
Old 04-18-2010, 06:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I wouldn't even consider running slicks on the highway at all!! I bought them for racing and had them hand grooved "just in case" I wanted to drive to the track rather than trailer the car. To compare them to the Goodyear Bill Boards would be like the BB's are "boots", the slicks are "racing shoes". The GT-II's would be high platform clod hoppers.

The slicks are SUPER thin, they would wear out in no time on the street and likely get a flat from ANY kind of debris you might encounter. Track only really, but interesting on the street just for a test drive.

I ran the Goodyear Bill Boards for years, I liked them very much. I think, like Jamo, I'd just like to try out these Avon's I've been hearing so much about, something different. I have TWO sets of wheels you see, so I can mount my slicks AND a second set of tires for the street.

Last edited by Excaliber; 04-18-2010 at 06:20 AM..
Old 04-18-2010, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Default slicks

But what if you ran tubes in the slicks? It's my understanding from the Goodyear engineers that the tread area of the BB and slick tires are the same basic construction, just the BB tire has a thicker layer of tread rubber.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Billboards are simply rain tires...compound stays sticky to slightly colder temps. After numerous heat cycles (like street driving), it really doesn't matter.

As Ernie indicated, the slicks are thinner.

The Avons are DOT and are of radial construction...the sidewalls should last a bit longer than the Billboards, which offsets the cost a bit. The Billboards I just replaced had some good tread left, but cracks were developing along the sides.

Maybe I'll grab a pic or two later when I pull it out for a run in the canyon...not much to see really.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That is the downside Jamo, I'm not impressed with the "look" of the Avon's. BB's are about the best out there in that department. Although, I gotta say, those yellow letter slicks are like the coolest looking tires I've EVER run!
Old 04-18-2010, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 2137, KC Racing 306
Not Ranked     

Where are you finding Avons? I'm seeing only one seller on each coast, and one of them doesn't look like he wants to sell street tires. Is that all there is?
Old 04-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik289 View Post
Where are you finding Avons? I'm seeing only one seller on each coast, and one of them doesn't look like he wants to sell street tires. Is that all there is?
Yes, either Sasco or Roger Krauss.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
That is the downside Jamo, I'm not impressed with the "look" of the Avon's. BB's are about the best out there in that department.
I think the BB's are a little too...too...too...I don't know, how do you say...garish for me.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
That is the downside Jamo, I'm not impressed with the "look" of the Avon's. BB's are about the best out there in that department. Although, I gotta say, those yellow letter slicks are like the coolest looking tires I've EVER run!
Ernie, now I'm not positive on this, but I think with your vintage ERA you may have fit issues up front with the Avon 245s.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I do recall the early cars were recommended 235's and the later cars the next size up. Didn't someone mention the 245 Avons are slightly taller than the BB's in front? I have a very slight rub under full lock with the BB's in front. Right where you would cut out the "vent" area to cool the headers. I plan to make that mod anyway and it it may provide "just enough" clearance to get away with an Avon.

Then again, one has to ask himself, under what conditions do you find yourself running "full lock" with the steering? That might well mean the back end is headed to where the front end used to be.

Last edited by Excaliber; 04-18-2010 at 07:09 PM..
Old 04-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Ernie...Krause site says either front Avon is about a 1/2" taller than a Billboard.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

I wish there were decent tyres available for a Cobra.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 04-19-2010, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

Ernie .... I`m running the 245 Avons on the front of my ERA ..... chassis # 757 , and there was a rub issue at about 3/4 to full lock on a left turn . Solved by removing about 3/4" of the lower body lip per the sketch Bob P. sent me ... after I had already made my own " modification " . It only happened on a left turn and only as I approached full lock . If I muscled the steering wheel some , I could force the tire past that point ... but felt there was a better way .
Sorry Jamo .... not trying to hijack your thread .

Bob
Old 04-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Since Jamo has purchased his Avon's and reports they fit nicely a slight "thread jack" to ERA and Avon seems reasonable at this time.

The Goodyear slicks are, in theory, the same size as the Bill Boards, but in fact they ARE slightly larger front and back. To gain clearance on the rear I had to raise the ride height a 1/2" and cut down the inside fender lip. The fronts, sure enough, defintely rub more than the Bill Boards did, not bad enough for me to worry about. But the Avons, which are even bigger, could be a problem all right!

I'll have to carefully consider my options, those Avons would be nice! Perhaps I can raise the ride height a bit, cut out that header vent hole, put the screen cover for the hole on the header side, cut down the lip and they might just work....
Old 04-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

No problemo, Bobcat...Ernie has approved the hijack.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
...a slight "thread jack" to ERA and Avon seems reasonable at this time.
"slight 'thread jack"?
Old 04-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Eh eh, will kinda slight... You know there is a lot of talk about various tyres but not much about clearance issues. Which replica can run what, some are more space challenged than others.

Here's a pic of a Goodyear slicks that left a rub mark in my wheel well. Krause SAYS these are the same size as the Bill Boards but in fact there are slightly bigger. The mark is about 2.5 X 2.5 inches. Game plan is to cut that area out to ventilate the wheel well to the headers.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

You know there is a lot of talk about various tyres but not much about clearance issues. Which replica can run what, some are more space challenged than others.

Which is sorta why...ahem...I started a thread entitled "Kirkham owners: What size Avons?" in the Kirkham Forum.

I know youse ERA folks is a bit envious about Kirkhams, so it's ok.

I'm just sayin...