Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default How loud are Kirkham Sidepipes?

Im curious how loud the Kirkham sidepipes are? Do they use a standard glasspack, or do they use an actual muffler? I lost a good bit of hearing in my left ear thanks to my last replica, and that was after modifying the sidepipes and shutting them up a few decibels.
Is there a place where i can purchase just the 427fe headers tubes that attach to the pipes? If they use a muffler, does anybody know what brand and if i can buy that muffler? I have the pipes, so i might just cut them up and make something custom if i can get the mufflers and header tubes.
Thanks
Ironman Cobra
Old 05-26-2010, 10:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #625 427S/C, 468 ci Al block, 615 HP
Not Ranked     

I don't think the Kirkham pipes are overly loud, and they have a great tone. That said, I have always worn earplugs when Cobra-ing.

Mark
Old 05-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I ALWAYS wear ear plugs in the Cobra. My glove box is filled with them in plastic packages, I even have a box. I also keep a couple of pairs on my bikes AND my Miata convertible!

With the top down on the Miata the wind noise will still damage your hearing. Same with the bikes at speeds over 35 mph.

Left ear, the one next to the side pipe? All but gone... I'm trying to save what I got left.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Has anybody used the long CC inserts? These are supposed to give the sidepipes a nice deep mellow sound and they can make them in custom lengths.

http://www.carchemistry.com/shop/ind...t_detail&p=149

Last edited by RestoCreations; 05-27-2010 at 07:29 AM..
Old 05-27-2010, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP500 LeMans- Roush 451 Shelby block; KMP Flip-top with cammer: KMP 289 Bronze under construction.
Not Ranked     

My pipes were way too loud for my wife and neighbors. I had them modifies at Coast Fabrication in So. Cal. with great results. I'm running a Roush 451ci. Even with the upgrade, ear plugs or head phones are a must if you want to hear in later years.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The stainless mufflers are fairly loud, but not more so than any other. They have a repackable muffler that is a strait through design. I guess you could call it a glass pack but they are much nicer than that. You could open up that canister and do some modification like an auger or something similar.

It is all pretty futile, because if the exhaust does not make you go def, the wind noise will. Ear plugs are a great idea.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoCreations View Post
I lost a good bit of hearing in my left ear thanks to my last replicaThanks
Ironman Cobra
Have you considered setting the car up as a roadster? Exhaust out the back of the car. Car sounds great, but my ears still work fine. Even after a lifetime of loud rock and roll music. No need for earplugs.

Jack
Old 05-28-2010, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

My Kirkham pipes (circa 2003) are louder than hell, but I don't hear anyone complaining about them.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Heh heh....
Old 05-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

FWIW, I never got to here my original pipes from Kirkham. The shop that installed the engine and tranny in my car recommended they be replaced with another (quieter, but allegedly less restrictive) muffler, thus I never heard my original Kirkham pipes.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
My Kirkham pipes (circa 2003) are louder than hell, but I don't hear anyone complaining about them.

LOL! I took a hundred mile trip in my last replica when it had the standard glasspack mufflers and I could not hear for two days afterwards. Just walked around like my father, who has been a drummer his whole life, saying what to everyone. It became very annoying to those i was trying to talk to and myself.
I've tried the classic chambered mufflers before, but they sounded exactly the same to me. I tested the pipes before and after with a radioshack decibel meter and they were the same at all rpms except idle. Slightly quieter at idle to 1200rpm, but the classic chambered pipes were a little longer-2 inches if i remember correctly. Not enough to make a difference.
I think i will give the Car Chemistry inserts a go. Perhaps i will weld in something in the turndowns as well. I figure with a 482 FE aluminum stroker, i can stand to lose a few horses to make the exhaust a little quieter.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Holliday Motorsport/396 GM / 4 speed / Jag rearend
Not Ranked     

I'm with you JAMO! Mine work great because i can't hear my wife yelling stop as i'm leaving the driveway so she can ask me to pick something up while i'm out GOOFING OFF in my little car. LOUD PIPES SAVES LIVES! not hearing.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

(insert Undercar rant here )
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 05-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANAVIA View Post
(insert Undercar rant here )
It's a Cobra not a Prius.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have sidepipes on a midyear vette and love the sound. However, it is a far different than the side exhaust on a cobra replica, original, or continuation series. Anyway, I want to keep the car with side exhaust. I am not really trying to alter the car from its image in the movie. If i was, the first thing to go would be the meat balls and pipes would be silver ceramic coated.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

My Kirkham is loud, but not crazy loud. I take short runs without ear protection, but these babies will probably damage your hearing in the long run. The wind buffeting can also be uncomfortable. I wear ear plugs as much as possible. It makes for a more comfortable overall driving experience.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The stainless has a deeper nicer sound than the steel ones. They Stainless are quieter as well and yet very loud. I wear ear plugs. Neighbors don't like it. I's say most Harleys are louder, but not as deep. They sound great.