Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 11-02-2010, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoCreations View Post
I found out yesterday that the forged crank i received is not the 4.25 stroke that i thought, but instead a 4.37 stroke crank. So, it looks like i will have a 511 427fe Shelby motor instead of a 482.
FYI: if it is a forged crank for an FE, it is a 4.375 and made by RPM International, a California based Chinese company. That crank is made in China.

Just an FYI

edit: unless things changed since I built my engine. Personally, I spent the extra for peace of mind and got the Scat billet crank (4.375 as well), since no one else makes a forged unit in that size. I'm not saying it's a bad crank, but I wanted more peace of mind. Who knows, mine is probably made in China too. . . but at least it's a Scat.....(good rep)

Last edited by pusherfans; 11-02-2010 at 01:15 PM..
Old 11-02-2010, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Unfortunately, there will be no way for me to get a refund on the crank. I will have my shop fully inspect it before installation. It appears to be a very nice piece. However, i hate buying items from China and try to avoid it whenever possible!!! Where is the SCAT crank made?
Old 11-02-2010, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Unfortunately, there will be no way for me to get a refund on the crank. I will have my shop fully inspect it before installation. It appears to be a very nice piece. However, i hate buying items from China and try to avoid it whenever possible!!! Where is the SCAT crank made?
not sure, I think USA, but Scat also does make parts in China (connecting rods). I was more comfortable with Scat because they have a good rep for making "top shelf" parts. RPM Iternational is a new company and make all their products in China. But that does not mean it is a bad piece, there are quality products from China. I know that many reputable engine builders use RPM's cranks without issues.

Last edited by pusherfans; 11-02-2010 at 03:19 PM..
Old 11-17-2010, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

Have not heard from you in a few weeks. Wanted to let know that we will be happy to help you with the parts that you have. Just let me know if Tony or I can help you get a great engine together for the special car. There are several options you have and we will even do some parts swapping with you to help your other stuff work. Like if tyou need a 4.250 stroke crank to work with your rods and pistons we would swap with you. Just give us a call, we can do things for you that others can not.

Thanks, Keith Craft
870-246-7460
Old 11-19-2010, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you!
Old 11-19-2010, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Scat and Eagle Cranks are made in China. On the up-side, I push 700 HP across and Eagle crank and have seen many, many Scat or Eagle cranks that handle over 800 HP. I wouldn't worry about the Scat. I don't know RPM...
Old 11-19-2010, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Progress 11/19/10

New Steering Rack installed

The Dash Leather is ready to ship to receive Robert Downey Jrs Autograph

How do you get a nut and washer on a bolt that is inside a hole which only a two year olds hand can fit in???
TAPE!

Gorgeous new engine mounts from Kirkham.

SOME GOOD LUCK! Kirkham already welded the brackets in place for the Tremec Mount.
excuse the dirty frame-there is primer overspray on most of it and i still have not had a chance to give it a good scrub.

The Sidepipes are off and will be listed on ebay this evening starting at 1.00

MSD digital 6 Ignition Box officially mounted in place

Oil puke tank installed

I'm not sure if it is going to work though. I think it might be a little too far to the passenger side. I will need to wait and see how everything else lines up once installed.

Last edited by RestoCreations; 11-19-2010 at 05:10 PM..
Old 11-19-2010, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I bet the puke tank is OK. You want it as far as possible toward the passenger side while still leaving clearance for the solenoid and the hoses. If it's too far toward toward the center, it will leave a big ugly kink in the hose coming from the breather plate on the manifold. Ask me how I know...

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 11-20-2010, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And the Dash Leather is off. I sure hope it comes back with a signature. I asked for Mr Downey Jr to sign the leather and write IronMan next to or below his signature.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
And the Dash Leather is off. I sure hope it comes back with a signature. I asked for Mr Downey Jr to sign the leather and write IronMan next to or below his signature.
Very cool--a nice touch for your unique car.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Looking great! Keep up the momentum....
Old 12-13-2010, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Struck out on the Autograph. Apparently Robert Downey Jr is traveling for the next several months and will therefore will not be able to sign anything. I'll will have to try again in the future.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lucky day!
Since the car was sold to me as a 1965, the DMV registered it as a 65.
Thank goodness! I didn't know if i was going to be able to register the car since it only came with a vague Bill of Sale from Mecum.

What a relief!

Last edited by RestoCreations; 12-22-2010 at 03:29 PM..
Old 12-22-2010, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ironman Kirkham's Christmas present showed up today.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Making a correction: the engine will actually be a 527 stroker. I had not really planned on the engine being a 527, but i keep getting surprises on the parts that xxx company sent. The pistons were 20cc dish and the compression ratio was going to end up being 11.4:1. Another oops, but they are working on exchanging the pistons and getting a custom set from diamond. Im trying to aim for a 10.5:1 max, but ideally around 10:1.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

Just had to be a little bigger than my 511, so goes the story of my life, ha.
Nice block

Merry Christmas
Old 12-23-2010, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As you can see by the 511 written on the front main, i was initially trying to copy you. It just turned out that they sent the wrong crank etc and it will be a 527, but i am not complaining as long as the correct 10.2:1 pistons eventually show up. Vroom Vroom! Im starting to wonder how much of that power will be unusable. Oh well, better to have too much than too little.

Merry Christmas to you as well! I hope you have a very blessed and wonderful day with your loved ones!

Last edited by RestoCreations; 12-23-2010 at 04:09 PM..
Old 12-23-2010, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Making a correction: the engine will actually be a 527 stroker. I had not really planned on the engine being a 527, but i keep getting surprises on the parts that xxx company sent. The pistons were 20cc dish and the compression ratio was going to end up being 11.4:1. Another oops, but they are working on exchanging the pistons and getting a custom set from diamond. Im trying to aim for a 10.5:1 max, but ideally around 10:1.
I'd recommend a 482, listen to the Kirkham's advice. . . .(or at least a 4.250 stroke)
Old 12-23-2010, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, but this is what i am working with. Im going forward with the 527. Roushe builds them for Shelby, so hopefully everything will work out great!

Last edited by RestoCreations; 12-23-2010 at 06:49 PM..
Old 12-24-2010, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks, but this is what i am working with. Im going forward with the 527. Roushe builds them for Shelby, so hopefully everything will work out great!
Roush does not build 527's. Their biggest is 511, I think. Also, they use a cast crank, actually they call it "something" iron. I spoke with them before going to Keith Craft. I had to have the 527.....