Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Looking good and very brave of you to tackle that on your own.

Don't forget to flip your brake reservoir fluid lines over. Remember, the 90 degree bend goes on the master cylinders and the straight end goes to the reservoirs.

It doesn't look like you're going with an oil cooler. Are you going to put some dummy lines in the nose? If so, a single line that goes from one connection, loops over the top and down to the other looks okay.

Paul
Old 05-10-2011, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the nice comments.

Funny what you will end up taking on when you are used to working alone. Perhaps there was a bit of stupidity or impatience involved with the decision, but i couldnt stand i any longer. I had the free time and it was begging to be installed.
No, Im not going with an oil cooler. i dont think a street car needs an oil cooler, especially with an all aluminum 427.. I have the broken one that came with the car and i plan to put it back in place and run some faux lines. I have plenty of -12 an line leftover from building the other ones. I hate to put up a facade, but that area looks really naked without the oil cooler.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

You could fake the look with an inexpensive automatic trans. cooler.....
Old 05-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Lookin good Resto!
Old 05-10-2011, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, FR302
Not Ranked     

Nice job! I don't think I would ever try to drop a motor and trans alone.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Been there done that.... It's a bit nerve wracking doing it alone but it can be done as you have shown, just need to take your time and be patient.
The car is looking great.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

Looks great, no problem doing it your self if you take your time. I find it better to install with the gear box removed but leave the bell on. This way engine will fit straight down with out tilting. Then put the gear box in second.
Good Job.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Very nice progress..............
Old 05-11-2011, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the nice comments! Things are moving along pretty quickly at this point.

What do you all think of my shifter? I am sure the purists will not care for it, but i like it. I turned the TKO shifter plate around 180 so that i could get it closer to correct position. it is in the perfect position now, at least for me.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just thought i would report that the car is almost finished. I suffered a small set back when i dropped a piece of plastic down the intake last week. I used a 1/4" thick carb gasket from edelbrock, which has plastic reinforcements around the stud holes, and one popped out and rolled down the #3 intake runner. I tried everything to get it out, but after 4 hours i finally threw in the towel and pulled the intake. So, i am just waiting on new custom gaskets from cometic and then i will reassemble the intake. First start should happen next week.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Awesome! Post some pics of it complete when you get a chance.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 06-11-2011, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, it's not quite there yet. Im still working on getting the wiring finished and the bulkhead is going to get powdercoated on monday. Im also dealing with some interference issues with the darn remote oil filter. Lots of small details to round up, but i will certainly make sure to post videos and pictures when things have progressed further.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2004 Kirkham 427 S/C, Shelby 496C.I.
Not Ranked     

Although you already have it out, one possibility would have been to pull the spark plug on #3, used a leakdown tester to pressurize the cylinder while the intake valve was opening. Could have blown it back up the runner. Another possibility would have been gum on the end of a long screwdriver.

Something to try "next time"

Glad to hear the build is coming along well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoCreations View Post
Just thought i would report that the car is almost finished. I suffered a small set back when i dropped a piece of plastic down the intake last week. I used a 1/4" thick carb gasket from edelbrock, which has plastic reinforcements around the stud holes, and one popped out and rolled down the #3 intake runner. I tried everything to get it out, but after 4 hours i finally threw in the towel and pulled the intake. So, i am just waiting on new custom gaskets from cometic and then i will reassemble the intake. First start should happen next week.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I tried everything, but i was not sure which runner it rolled down. I had a high powered vacuum hooked up to the intake while i was blowing compressed air through the spark plug holes. I bought a bore scope, but could not get it to bend just right so i could see the tops of the intakes. That pesky little piece of plastic really did not want to budge.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #647 brushed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoCreations View Post
Well, it's not quite there yet. Im still working on getting the wiring finished and the bulkhead is going to get powdercoated on monday. Im also dealing with some interference issues with the darn remote oil filter. Lots of small details to round up, but i will certainly make sure to post videos and pictures when things have progressed further.
That car is going to be awesome when done! (already looking awesome now)

Whats goign on with your remote oil filter? Which one do you have? I'm asking because I'm currently shopping around for a remote oil filter set up and don't know which one to grab for my KM... Any recommendations?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have the shelby block plate and the the remote adapter is from Finishline. I was initially running straight NPT to AN fittings with th -12 AN 90 degree hose fittings. However, that interfered with the upper radiator hose. So, i installed 90 degree NPT to AN fittings with the 90 degree -12 an hose ends, but now the lines are rubbing on the intermediate steering shaft.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is a quick update. These are just a few of the small things that i took care of this weekend. I have been out of town a lot lately, every weekend for the past 5 weeks, so i havent had much time to work on the car until this weekend. I put in 22 hours in the last 3 days. Its amazing what gets done when the girlfriend is out of town for the weekend.

-Removed windshield and cut the bars so that would not poke someone in the leg. Polished windshield, installed new sliding mirror, which required a lot of cutting from my dremel tool, installed new grommets, put windshield back in place.

-Installed fancy, bling bling, Kirkham coolant tank with new -4 AN braided lines. Dont worry, i am not leaving the zip ties on the lines. It is only temporary.

-Installed Nick Acton's Throttle Linkage-very good stuff by the way.

Roll bar removed for polishing and removal of bulkhead. Bulkhead is going to the powdercoaters. Apparently the originals did not have carpet in this area. I was unaware of this until the carpet showed up and i thought that somebody goofed and left pieces out of the box. Scraping the old 80/20 carpet off of the panels took a while. Somebody REALLY wanted to make sure that the carpet didnt fly out when Tony Stark fell on the car. Also installed rollbar grommets.

Driveshaft and driveshaft safety loop are in.

Throttle pedal is adjusted and the hydraulic clutch is working. I bought a 25.00 neaumatic bleeder from Harbor freight a few days ago-GREAT TOOL if you need to bleed hydraulic lines on your own. No more, "push the pedal, now let up, push the pedal, now let up"

Retracted

Extended

Shifter boot. I really like this shifter. I have an extra one if anybody is interested.

Alternator, alternator wiring, and belt in place. Every little thing counts, right?

Lots of other little wiring and details taken care of as well. Heat shild install-i dont recommend doing this after you put the engine in place-PITA!!! Fuse box mounted, fresh air vent system installed, fluids in place, etc. and so on. The First start is on the horizon. Very exciting!

Last edited by RestoCreations; 06-12-2011 at 08:41 PM..
Old 06-13-2011, 12:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the progress pics & updates - really enjoying seeing the build progress

LoBelly
Old 06-13-2011, 04:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Resto ... great progress! Look forward to hearing how the first start up goes ... then the first drive
Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Looking good, although I don't like the look of those prop-shaft bolts and washers.
Get in touch with David K. and ask him to send you some aircraft fasteners that they use.

Paul