Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default How about a Stainless Windshield frame

with all the tools you guys got, I'm sure you guy's could make these at a reasonable costs, would eliminate the hasardus chrome prosess too http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=107878
Old 11-28-2010, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP500 LeMans- Roush 451 Shelby block; KMP Flip-top with cammer: KMP 289 Bronze under construction.
Not Ranked     

I agree. After 3 years the corners are starting to fade. Re-chrome will be a huge hassle.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Hi Guys,

There is a lot of work in making these frames. Im sure the guys at Kirkham can make them easy enough, but it is a very time consuming process so would be hard to do at a cheap price. This took me about 4 or 5 full days if you added up the hours. Its the polishing that takes forever.

Liam
Old 11-28-2010, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There are roll machines that can make the U-channel that the glass fits into, that would eliminate all the welding. Once you rolled the U-channel, polishing would be relatively easy, the side bars are just flat stock, again ,easy to polish.. It's all just a matter of locating the machinery to have the forming done, surely the K bros. have the connections., Going rate on a chrome over brass W/S frame is around $7-800 retail, seems to me that that number could be beat with enough volume.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

mr bruce,

We made windshield frames from aluminum some time ago. They were so much work we just started to buy them. This thread has me thinking about making them again.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 11-28-2010, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave, I'm talkin' stainless, Midstates Cobra used to make them in aluminum and then they still had them chromed, and the chrome on aluminum didn't work all that well. Make the suckers out of stainless, eliminate the chrome. Maybe investment cast, heck ,I don't know, you guys can make everything, surely there's a better way.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bruce View Post
Dave, I'm talkin' stainless, Midstates Cobra used to make them in aluminum and then they still had them chromed, and the chrome on aluminum didn't work all that well. Make the suckers out of stainless, eliminate the chrome. Maybe investment cast, heck ,I don't know, you guys can make everything, surely there's a better way.
We made them out of aluminum because they were lighter. We just polished the aluminum. You are right, stainless IS the way to go. We use stainless all over the place in our cars. The only problem is right now we are involved on many different projects I don't think we will be able to get to this for a while.

David
Old 12-03-2010, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

David, can you share what projects you're working on yet? Are they Cobra projects or other stuff?
Old 12-04-2010, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak
Not Ranked     

I think David is all Couped up.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusherfans View Post
David, can you share what projects you're working on yet? Are they Cobra projects or other stuff?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmimac351 View Post
I think David is all Couped up.
Coupe and the sale on all the parts in the attic. The Greek car is also coming on line. Utah Tea Party stuff keeps me going as well.

David
Old 12-04-2010, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
Utah Tea Party stuff keeps me going as well.

David
I knew there was a reason why I liked this Kirkham guy. My wife and I drove to DC for the first rally on 9/12. We'll never, ever forget it.

Godspeed, Patriot.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmimac351 View Post
I knew there was a reason why I liked this Kirkham guy. My wife and I drove to DC for the first rally on 9/12. We'll never, ever forget it.

Godspeed, Patriot.
Thanks! I sincerely appreciate the kind words.

David