Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Kirkham Motorsports (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/)
-   -   KM647 is here! (lots of pics) (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/111394-km647-here-lots-pics.html)

Avmaviator 01-09-2012 08:59 PM

Today I TIG welded the O2 sideband sensor bung on the right collector, and finished cleaning up the pipes. Now all is left to do on the pipes are to ceramic coat them flat black, but that will be done later.

Here is the sensor installed. I have to run and fastened the wire now, running it in front of the footbox, and through the factory firewall hole for the wires.

PS, I have no idea why the weld looks so bad in this picture... it is actually a nice weld, but I did file it a bit using a round file, to knock some corners down. Nevertheless, that picture looks bad, but the weld is good :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...d/IMG_0009.jpg

Last night I pressurized the fuel system to see if it would hold 45 psi (since the gauges are installed). It does hold that value, but it takes a bit of time (15 seconds to fully build the pressure.) I hope that will be ok for engine starting and such in the future. So far, one found one leak. It is leaking from an AN fitting on the return side of the fuel rail, which connects the fuel rail to the regulator. I have to figure out if it is the swivel part that is leaking or just not tight enough, but it is very hard to put any wrench or anything to work on it. I will have to pull the fuel rail out :(
I think the fuel is coming out of the the collar, right under the blue portion of the fitting. I think that is the swivel portion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...d/IMG_0008.jpg

I will focus now on the throttle system as it is the last thing in the way before starting the engine... :)

mreid 01-10-2012 03:04 AM

I don't think the O2 bung weld looks bad at all and I like how you hid it, yet got it in a good location in the exhaust. Can't wait for first start. Mine is running great and is a thrill everytime I start it up! It's supposed to be in the 50's here today so I'll be driving around the neighborhood.

Avmaviator 01-10-2012 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mreid (Post 1169951)
I don't think the O2 bung weld looks bad at all and I like how you hid it, yet got it in a good location in the exhaust. Can't wait for first start. Mine is running great and is a thrill everytime I start it up! It's supposed to be in the 50's here today so I'll be driving around the neighborhood.

Thanks Mark, it doesn't look that bad but I like things to be "perfect" :)

First real drive? Besides in and out of the garage? That has to be exciting.

mreid 01-10-2012 11:20 AM

Oh, I've been out a few times. That's how I found out that cured paint is harder than aluminum. I live in a pretty secluded neighborhood, so after I completed the basic tune on my carb I made a few blasts down the 1/4 mile stretch in front of my house. Not too fast, but I hit 70 a couple of times. It was awesome, but when I got back to the garage I noticed that my rear fender leading edge (where the spats go) had been sand blasted by the sand and small pieces of gravel on the street. It actually etched the surface of the aluminum! Spats are in order. I have to say, it was worth every scratch and ding!

RestoCreations 01-10-2012 01:09 PM

Did you figure out the steering issue yet? Sorry i did not get the photos i promised you...it has been a very busy year so far and i havent managed to get the other car out of the way to get the kirkham off the lift yet. If you still need them, just let me know and i will go move things around and snap a few shots.

TimG427 01-10-2012 02:40 PM

Did you order the spats from Kirkham? What material are they made from?

fordracing65 01-10-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mreid (Post 1170016)
Oh, I've been out a few times. That's how I found out that cured paint is harder than aluminum. I live in a pretty secluded neighborhood, so after I completed the basic tune on my carb I made a few blasts down the 1/4 mile stretch in front of my house. Not too fast, but I hit 70 a couple of times. It was awesome, but when I got back to the garage I noticed that my rear fender leading edge (where the spats go) had been sand blasted by the sand and small pieces of gravel on the street. It actually etched the surface of the aluminum! Spats are in order. I have to say, it was worth every scratch and ding!

not to hi jack the thread, where did you order your kirkham spats from?

Dimis 01-10-2012 04:22 PM

Spats? Where?
I no see no stinkin spats
Where's they at?

"Spats are IN order" as opposed to "on order", or did I miss something?

Avmaviator 01-10-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RestoCreations (Post 1170036)
Did you figure out the steering issue yet? Sorry i did not get the photos i promised you...it has been a very busy year so far and i havent managed to get the other car out of the way to get the kirkham off the lift yet. If you still need them, just let me know and i will go move things around and snap a few shots.

I just got the shaft this afternoon and need to fit it on. I would imagine it is going to fit as it was just a mistake at the shop.
Don't worry at all about the picture :)

No spats here :)

Mark, I'm envious, and speeding is bad mmmkay :LOL:

mreid 01-10-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimis (Post 1170094)
Spats? Where?
I no see no stinkin spats
Where's they at?

"Spats are IN order" as opposed to "on order", or did I miss something?

Lol, Dimis, apparently your Australian grammar training is better than our American grammar training! I need to get some spats, so I too would like to know where to source them.

And, Arnaud, I was not speeding. I was minimizing my time on the road so it would last longer....

And, and i'm not touching that shaft comment...

Jerry Clayton 01-11-2012 07:15 AM

Arno---its your photography, not the welding---its hard to focus a modern camera(phone maybe) on a spot along something linelar? and also with back lighting---with brazillion pixels its difficult to concentrate on one small area that is composed of two circular diminsions(round fitting at right angle into round sidepipe) ((plus maybe even an unsteady hand while kneeling/lying on creeper)(

Avmaviator 01-11-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mreid (Post 1170137)
And, and i'm not touching that shaft comment...

When the box arrived and I opened it, I told me wife "that is a big box for such a small shaft" She started laughing and I didn't get it until I thought about it :LOL:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton (Post 1170181)
Arno---its your photography, not the welding---its hard to focus a modern camera(phone maybe) on a spot along something linelar? and also with back lighting---with brazillion pixels its difficult to concentrate on one small area that is composed of two circular diminsions(round fitting at right angle into round sidepipe) ((plus maybe even an unsteady hand while kneeling/lying on creeper)(

Jerry, you are right on many counts... phone camera, without a light, on a creeper :)

Jerry Clayton 01-11-2012 09:18 AM

remember this basic aviation rule---the only way to tell the ils/glideslope isn't stuck is to make it go from side to side and top to bottom!!!!!!!!focus

Avmaviator 01-16-2012 07:29 AM

Some updates. Over the last two days I've building sveral protoypes of the throttle cable linkage. The first ones were either not the right size or too weak. I think my last version is pretty darn close. I fabricated it using some of the Kirkham push rod components that came with the car and a bunch of metal I have here. After a lot of cutting, welding, drilling, and mock ups, the linkange works. :)
It is not the prettiest right now but I'm working on the fine tuning before I take it apart and make it look nice. The pedal action is fairly smooth, although I wouldn'd mind being a little smoother. I'll be focusing on that today.

Here are some pics and a short video.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...d/IMG_0033.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...d/IMG_0034.jpg

Throttle cable system - YouTube

mreid 01-16-2012 07:48 AM

Must be a very strong return spring, I hear a lot of heavy breathing!

The geometry looks good. Does the go pedal have enough throw and run the TBs through their entire range? Worst thing you can have on a high HP/TQ engine is a sensitive pedal. Makes for twitchy and scarey driving!

xlr8or 01-16-2012 09:47 AM

Nice work. Very creative way to go from hard linkage to a cable setup. You might want to tack weld the arms on there once you find the right setup so they don't slip on the shaft.

Avmaviator 01-16-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mreid (Post 1171097)
Must be a very strong return spring, I hear a lot of heavy breathing!

The geometry looks good. Does the go pedal have enough throw and run the TBs through their entire range? Worst thing you can have on a high HP/TQ engine is a sensitive pedal. Makes for twitchy and scarey driving!

The springs are very strong, plus there are four of them, one on each stack "couples". On the dyno Barry actually had to disconnect one of the springs as it was overpowering the dyno's actuator. I'm thinking of trying the same thing so there isn't such a strain on the system. I need to call TWM about it and see what is their take on the subject.

The throw is pretty good so far. I had to use the lowest hole on the pedal arm to give me the right amount of movement for the cable. The higher holes moved the cable too quickly and too far. I will be doing a lot of fine tuning of all this later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xlr8or (Post 1171113)
Nice work. Very creative way to go from hard linkage to a cable setup. You might want to tack weld the arms on there once you find the right setup so they don't slip on the shaft.

Very good point on the welding. I was actually thinking of putting a very small cotter pin through each arm so I can still move them if necessary. More R&D needed on the whole thing :)

Avmaviator 01-17-2012 06:23 PM

I tried to wake the beast up tonight, but it didn't want to come out and play :( The problem comes from the EFI ECU box not turning on.
It is not getting power up to the box (I need to verify that by more troubleshooting but I didn't have time tonight). So far I checked the power wires that run to the battery, the "valet" switch for the coil, and the connection between the harness and box. I tried to connect the 12V Switched wire directly to the pink wire on the ignition switch, but nada. I know the instruction says Not to hook up the 12V Switched wire to the positive side of the coil, which I don't think I did.

BTW, this is a FAST EZ-EFI system

I hate electrical problems. Anyways I won't have time to work on it for a few days because I have something much more important to take care off...another birth :) ;)

Avmaviator 01-22-2012 02:47 PM

Quick update. Good news and bad news about the EFI not firing up. Good news, I have a list of things to check, bad news, I won't be able to get to it for a while because of my latest mod....

Bastien Will Morauw, born on Thursday the 19th, 5:41pm, 7 lbs, 21 inches.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...r/IMG_7700.jpg

Mom and little guy are doing great. My wife is a true badass. 48+ hours of labor, with no pain medications at all, and she didn't complain once about it (or screamed bloody murder like the mom in the room next to ours...) . I am so incredibly proud of her. I cannot begin to describe the happiness that I'm feeling currently. Having KM647 delivered in the driveway doesn't even compare....yeah....it's that good (prepare yourself Brent :) )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...r/DSC_0069.jpg

Ecstatic although sleep deprived parents.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...r/IMG_7764.jpg

FUNFER2 01-22-2012 03:40 PM

Absolutely adorable !

Question though. How the @ell, did you,.... end up with such a beautiful wife and baby ? :LOL:

Congrats buddy ! :D