Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Steve, I don't think I could swing a new Kirkham under any circumstances short of selling my soul (and maybe not even that, in this down market souls aren't bringing what they used to), but a used Kirkham such as the one I checked out is just at the upper limits of my financial grasp.

I mean, right at the upper limit of my car budget. Honestly, as in, that's all there is and there ain't no more.

But you know about the Search (with a big 'S') and where I'm at.

There is a tradeoff between maxing out the budget (which might raise expectations too high and possibly also create other financial concerns that could offset the thrill of owning the car) and not settling for something that'll not be right for me and make me wish I'd reached just a little higher.

What's odd is, the scale keeps rocking back and forth depending on my mood and the the options available.

Good news is that a big block ERA that's been gently used and is optioned right would be far above satisfactory, and might get me a bit more into the sweet spot of my budget.

Then again, that Kirkham really is superb and I think it must be apparent that I'm smitten.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

I lucked out on my Kirkham on Flea-bay 3 years ago and have never looked
back. My wife knows that if things get really bad - the Kirkham will be the
last thing to go. My son is next in line for it - it is a keeper. Keep searching -
if you end up with it - you won't regret it.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:39 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
Then again, that Kirkham really is superb and I think it must be apparent that I'm smitten.
Uh-huh, the country is full of smitten people... who are broke as church mice. Don't make a stupid financial decision over a car. Any car.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2007 BDR FR Boss 302
Not Ranked     

I agree with patrickt. Don't over extend for any car. The financial stress in case a major expense issue arises in your life will make you miserable. I have seen many people loss interest and satisfaction in their toy because of this reason and question why they spent too much money. Save yourself the stress and grief and buy alittle under your budget and upgrade as you go when finances avail themselves. Besides, half the fun is planning what you will do next to your cobra while saving up the money to do so. You will appreciate it more that way. I also agree that Jason's Kirkham is a very fine example of a quality build and something that anyone would enjoy and be proud of. Keep on looking and don't rush..... I know you will find your exact cobra at a price you can live with.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Uh-huh, the country is full of smitten people... who are broke as church mice. Don't make a stupid financial decision over a car. Any car.
When did this forum rename itself to the "Let's Pi$$ On Other People's Dreams Forum"?

Or, did we become the "Finance Advice Whether You Want It or Not Forum"?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Or, did we become the "Finance Advice Whether You Want It or Not Forum"
Would you advocate the alternative? Meaning, "yes, I believe you should make a stupid financial decision over a car because it's your dream to do so."
Old 11-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Counselor, you're assuming facts not yet in evidence.

The thread title is "ERA vs. Kirkham" not "Do You Think I have Enough Money In The Bank Or Should I Borrow So I Can Buy A Kirkham Instead Of An ERA And Here Are My Audited Financials And Two Years Of Tax Returns, Please Analyze and Give Me Your Opinion?"

Let Flygirl make the financial decision because ONLY she knows what she truly can afford or not.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
...ONLY she knows what she truly can afford or not.
Perhaps. But one rarely makes rational, dispassionate decisions while in the throes of being "smitten."
Old 11-01-2011, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I appreciate both sides of the financial discussion.

In this case I have to side with the "don't overextend or make a bad financial decision while I'm smitten" camp.

The whole idea of what I'm trying to accomplish is to not to borrow any money under any circumstances...not only for the purchase of the car but for any sorting which might have to be done afterward. And, beyond that, to have a slush fund for unexpected contingencies, which we all know will occur.

Also, the funds must come from my car fund, not from savings or a 401(k) or any sources not earmarked for this purchase.

Honestly, I fear that Jason's Kirkham is just beyond my reach. He has kindly offered to show me the car again in greater detail, but I'm feeling more and more strongly that it'd be wrong to waste his time given my budget constraints. I will be contacting him shortly to discuss further.

Last edited by Flygirl; 11-01-2011 at 11:05 AM..
Old 11-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
In this case I have to side with the "don't overextend or make a bad financial decision while I'm smitten" camp.
Of course you do. Disregard RodKnock - he always loses when we go at it. But, deep down, he enjoys that.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Uh, I don't think I lost, since I didn't say to buy one or the other. And I would never say to disregard her budget. All I said is for Patrick to butt out.

Speaking of bad financial decisions, maybe Patrick should have spent a little more time advising MF Global and former NJ Gov. Corzine with their finances and a little less time with Flygirl's. Literally, the world would have been better off.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Uh, I don't think I lost, since I didn't say to buy one or the other. And I would never say to disregard her budget. All I said is for Patrick to butt out.
... and I win double points for irritating RodKnock as well.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh, I'm definitely not irritated. And if I were, I would just briefly meditate, focus on my breathing, think about the present and then all is always good.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #647 brushed
Not Ranked     

Don't pilots make a crap load of money??
Old 11-01-2011, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Not this pilot!
Old 11-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avmaviator View Post
Don't pilots make a crap load of money??
I supposes it depends....not just what type of pilot but when.

My parents' friend was a 747 pilot in the 60's and 70's for United. He did very well and retired comfortably. And stewardesses were called stewardesses. And feminine.

My friend's brother is a pilot for American. Night and day difference. And the stewardesses are not so nice (or good looking, or slim) flight attendants. And some even open inflatable slides on the tarmac and become folk heroes.

Progress, I suppose.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't think these guys were paid enough back in the day either:

Old 11-01-2011, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Anyone who screws up a cliche this bad ...
who are broke as church mice
... really shouldn't be listened to lol.

It's "quiet as a church mouse" you dweeb!
Old 11-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL427SBF View Post
Anyone who screws up a cliche this bad ...
who are broke as church mice
... really shouldn't be listened to lol.

It's "quiet as a church mouse" you dweeb!
Just Google "poor as a church mouse." It's been a common phrase since the 17th century. Poor as a Church Mouse : Phrases, Clichés, Expressions & Sayings Are you having a particularly bad day today?
Old 11-01-2011, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just don't call me Shirley!