Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-06-2012, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMPS 033 FIA 289
Not Ranked     
Default E-Brake Assistance

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my project. I have a Kirkham FIA 289 (KMPS033) and it came with wilwoods brake on all 4 wheels. However it did not come with an e brake (parking brake) on the car. I have an e brake handle, but do not have the mechanical e brake that goes on the rear wheel, nor do I have the cables. Can anyone help me in finding out which type of mechnical e brake goes on the rear assembly (as well as where to get it from) as well as where can I get a set of cables made for the vehicle. Any assitance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Old 06-06-2012, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Call the tech over at Wilwood and see what he says. I just put on a new set of Wilwoods but they had a disc with an internal e-brake (kind of like a mini drum with shoes) that activate with the cable. The cable they sell came in a kit that was pretty universal and I'm sure would work for you if you have the right brakes. Anything you purchase will be cheaper if you go through Summit rather than direct from Wilwood. Hope that helps.

John
Old 06-06-2012, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

Why not call Kirkham, seems strange those parts are missing.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John, thanks for the information. I was thinking of just replacing the caliper with one that has the internal parking brake already inside of it, however since all 4 brakes are working, I thought it would be easier to just get a mechnical e brake.

With regards to contacting Kirkham, I did. Sent them some emails and talked to Tom, but have not received a response from them (over 2 month). I completely understand that they have other more important things that an e brake assembly, that's why I thought someone else might have done this and could help. Thanks

Dave
Old 06-09-2012, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Call Tom again. They are normally busy and aren't always as responsive as they could be, but they will help you out without doubt. You're far better getting the correct parts from Kirkham than trying to second guess what parts you might need.
I assume your Cobra uses the Mk.III coil sprung chassis rather than the Mk.II leaf sprung.

Paul
Old 06-09-2012, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Are the rear calipers Wilwood Dynalites? If so, the parking brake assembly replaces side end of the center spacer and is made by Kirkham. They can set you up with the right one.
Larry
Old 06-10-2012, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Larry and Paul. Thanks for the information. I'll try Tom again. I agree getting the parts from the Kirkham's would be easier than trying to find them myself.

For your information, my car is an earlier Mk II design with the 2 transverse leaf springs, not the coil overs. It is one of the earlier fia 289 that they built.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

You should really have original style brakes on that then in order to keep it all as it should be. I think Kirkham make billet calipers in the original style, but if they don't, you can get them from Hawk Cars in the UK.

Paul
Old 06-13-2012, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Save yourself some time, Call Tom or Jeremy. Get the right parts the first time.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thought I'd throw this pic in here. This is the e-brake on an earlier KMS 427. I don't know if the FIA car uses the same set up or not but if the caliper is the same, then I'm betting it does.
Larry

Old 06-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

The internal park brake style doesn't work on these, there simply isn't enough room around the uprights. They have the tag on style park brakes like Jags and originals used that Larry posted. The newer versions use a combined park disc caliper with a mechanical over ride of the pads for park. That is typically the Aussie PBR Corvette calipers on CSX's.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys for the information. I left another message for the guys (Tom and Jeremy) at Kirkham to help me out. We will see how long it takes for a response. Thanks again,
Old 06-29-2012, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok Is it me or are the Kirkham's difficult to get a hold of. I'm not trying to be difficult, however I have left sereral messages with them (Tom and Jeremy) as well as emails and I can't get anyone to respond. Does anyone have a trick to get ahold of these guys? I know that they are EXTREMELY busy, however the last time I checked, email works 24/7. I know that this is not a huge sales $ for them, but I did buy a car for them and I do tell people to contact them when they see my car and want to know where to get an aluminum body car. Oh well
Old 06-30-2012, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow Swanny, I don't know what to say. Sorry! I know they are busy. My brother just got a gasket for his KMS expansion tank and that took weeks.
He did get it though, so I guess "keep trying".
Larry