Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 09-25-2012, 10:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham - KMP493
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
While asking how to clean piston tops, Cindrich casually mentions in his thread that he's drawing a billet short deck Windsor for you. Responders completely miss that block-buster and tell him how to clean pistons. Do you really want a guy that can't clean piston tops designing your blocks and tools?
What's up? Haven't completed the billet FE yet right?
More details please....
I just wanted to see if people actually read this stuff. Yes, I did want to clean my pistons and had searched for good answers. Nothing I've tried has worked and I'm not willing to scrape, blast or otherwise risk destroying the pistons if I know some chemical will soften the stuff and help remove it.

As for the 302 block, Sandwich and I designed and programmed the billet FE. It makes ungodly power at speeds highly forbidden by local law enforcers. And, it looks VERY cool. I lost my stroked 302 out at Miller Motorsports Park last April during the last Kirkham track day. So, what with my numchuck skills, my bowstaff skills and my solid modeling skills, I figured who better to design engine number 2! It's being designed to be light weight, stiff as hell and have a bullet proof bottom end. I'm about 98% done and hope to get the design off to Sandwich for him to work his magic turning the model into code and code into a billet 302. We'll post pictures soon.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Don't worry about blasting the pistons.....
Old 09-26-2012, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for bringing this out in the daylight-sounds great. Yes, some of us do read stuff...
Dunno how you project those power figures (2+HP / CI) just by block stiffness at 302 cubic inches without 4 valve heads. But if you can get it to 9000+ (on pushrods), I guess it's possible.
Watching your progress eagerly.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Two piece heads....with a big "O" ring.....the spring pressures would help hold it together??? Both ports cut in to lower section.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 09-26-2012 at 07:05 AM..
Old 09-27-2012, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham Motorsports, with a prototype wet sleeve billet aluminum engine block that I made
Not Ranked     

Chris, You're such an idiot! Bowstaff skills? I thought the only skills you had were picking your nose!
I wonder if oven cleaner would take the carbon off.
On a side note, Congratulations to Chris and his wife, this Friday, they will be having a new baby girl enter there lives.

Sandwich
Old 09-27-2012, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

working in a small engine shop the bench grinder had a wire wheel on one side and was used quite a bit to take carbon off the aluminum heads, valves and whatever else. got quite a bit of use. wouldn't of course work for gas ports but 8 pistons=about 10 min.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
working in a small engine shop the bench grinder had a wire wheel on one side and was used quite a bit to take carbon off the aluminum heads, valves and whatever else. got quite a bit of use. wouldn't of course work for gas ports but 8 pistons=about 10 min.
Still to this day use mine for cleaning pistons and other engine parts,fast and effective........

David
Old 09-27-2012, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Glass beading under low pressure works well. So does the Berrymans Chemical dip which was/is used on Carburetors. It is getting a little difficult to find because it is caustic.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 10-08-2012, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

Had a nice "final" design review of the 302 with Thomas, Chris, and Sandwich a couple of days ago. Just bought a new CNC mill--it's HUGE...

144 x 84 x 30

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 10-08-2012, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
I must state also, that it was my brother Chris who is cleaning carbon off his pistons, designing that engine, and I will be programing it and machining it. Chris is a very good designer/ engineer, and with the help of David and Tom Kirkham we will make an exceptional engine block.
Then we want to make some billet heads! Anybody got any good ideas how to machine a good water jacket around the combustion chamber?

As others have said (and is obvious), you'll need to make a two piece head design, IMHO. I would think maching the bottom half just below the spring seat shelf and leaving bosses around the perimeter of the bottom half for small cap screws to connect the two halves and seal the head along with O-rings if necessary. With your machining skills, I would think the two halves would fit together so seamlessly, that there would be an almost invisible line at the junction.
It's all just aluminum, programming, and time. So, what else have you got to do? It isn't like you're busy is it?

Looking forward to some more innovative work from the KMS shop....

Bob
Old 10-08-2012, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the update David.