Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 521, 482 FE powered
Not Ranked     
Default Restoring 521

I have been lurking in the shadows here for about a year...having joined shortly after acquiring 521. I've taken note of many others contributions and it's time I do a little myself.

521 was ordered by Larry Miller for the Ford Racing School at MMP, one of a pair of cars used for promotions, hot laps and track use in general. It's prominently featured in the latest edition of the Shelby registry as it first appeared new with Tom Kirkham at the wheel. According to him it is the second most documented build with over 400 photos while being constructed at the factory and a few hundred more taken between 2007 and 2012.

The first 7500 miles were not the easiest on this car...it was rather abused when I first looked it over. Scratched and dinged body, bald tires, & cracked windshield was just the tip of the iceberg for damage it sustained in 2500 track miles. (Odd how every person who ever drove it recalls being patient and easy on the car.)

I'll post some images here showing it new, during some of its use before and after becoming the latest caretaker and of the restoration. Perhaps some of what I unearthed in the process will assist you in heading off issues before they get bigger in your own car.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

That's OK it was driven like it was built for. Should be a neat project getting it in the shape you want it.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

The Cobra Guy

Great news on acquiring the Cobra. Yes I will be interested to see what you find - improve on the Cobra.

Whilst I don't track my Kirkham I am not frightened to drive it and have just on 13400 k - 8,000 miles on it since last October. I usually drive the Great Ocean Road quite early in the morning.

Cheers

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 07-11-2013, 01:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMK View Post
The Cobra Guy

Great news on acquiring the Cobra. Yes I will be interested to see what you find - improve on the Cobra.

Whilst I don't track my Kirkham I am not frightened to drive it and have just on 13400 k - 8,000 miles on it since last October. I usually drive the Great Ocean Road quite early in the morning.

Cheers

Bernie
It's easy for you older guys to get up early...
Old 07-11-2013, 01:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fordracing65

Mmmm...

Yes but my 4am call of nature is just a bit early..

Hey I am not that old just been around here a bit..
Old 07-12-2013, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys. It's funny, I grew up loving all things Shelby and was privileged to become the caretaker of 6S1733 for about 5 years. I had no intentions of selling it, but a client insisted. I suddenly had a pile of money and nowhere to put it when the track put 521 up for sale. The intent was to flip it after cleaning it up for a few months.

It was a better car than I thought...much easier to drive than I expected, holds plenty in the trunk for a trip. 6S1733 was a race car, and this was usable, I fell in love.

It was also worse than I thought...much worse. 2500 track miles is the equivalent of racing at the 24 hours of LeMans, and we know what happens to a car after that event. Everything gets replaced...
Old 07-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

The Cobra Guy,

I'll be watching this thread closely.
Sounds like you got a car with lots of soul

I just hit the 5k mark myself in KMP600 (1200 with the Twin Paxton motor) and I get the feeling I'm creeping up on some maintenance that's new to me.

Good luck and keep us informed!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

I have KMP 300. I sent it back home to Provo last summer for some updates and general "freshening up". WOW what a difference!!! I whole-heartedly recommend sending a car with a few years and miles on it back to Kirkham for this process. They looked at/adjusted/replaced/updated/tightened/cleaned/tweeked everything.

I'm no expert.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There are two things that came to mind as I began this project...

One, this is a 50 year old design and despite modern tolerances and improvements there are reasons no car is built like this anymore. Some things loosen up on a Cobra, whether old or new. They just do, and while we can make some improvements it's part of the cars' character.

Two, maintenance means something, especially in a car of this type. I bought it knowing how frequently the MMP track cars are serviced. I assumed the Kirkham was scheduled in the fleet of school cars...I should know better about assumptions. The car had many drivers who know what they are doing, but even these guys can be hard on it. Those who are clueless and used it likely did the most damage, for instance it was literally burning a quart of oil every 200 miles. My guess is bad break-in and not allowing it to get to full temp before hammering it by waaay too many who drove it when new.

I'm blessed...the shop is 20 minutes from my home so parts and technical assistance are always close, and my freight bill is just what it costs to drive there. That said likely all of you know how good Tom and David are about assisting their owners no matter where they are.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Cobra Guy

PM sent - email.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re Kirkham

Hi mate I sent you an email re the Kirkham and my 12,000 service.

My email is:

kni-time@bigpond.net.au

Bernie
Old 07-15-2013, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Bernie...with the restoration came an opportunity to get to the bare essentials of most every part. This was intended to be a quick cleanup, but escalated quickly until the only things not removed were the fiberglass footbox, the dash and the A-arms/uprights. Most items were just cleaned up, but I looked for improvements as I went.

Being a race car with an aluminum interior at birth it was like sitting in a convection oven while driving in July and August. I'm doing a lot to curb heat. Legendary hot-rodder John Buttera once said "You can't touch one part without touching adjacent parts." That's largely what happened here...in the end I'll be quite grateful as it will be like new again.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Cobra Guy

Just finished my big service.

A few things needed.

Email me when free. Will update you on my 13000 service and fixes..

kni-time@bigpond.net.au

Bernie