Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2015, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I guess the subliminal message in my post was that the apprenticeship would likely result in leaving the car for Kirkham to finish. I've given up learning skills that take a long time and that I will only use once or twice or maybe never after the first time. The time it took me to do the equivalent job of the experienced person far exceeded the value in doing it. My guess is that finishing the overall car would result in at least one do-over. Remember there are no straight or flat surfaces, so the skill level has to be greater. Just let Kirkham do it and use the time to drive the car a season earlier.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Era 351, Contemporary 351
Not Ranked     

One more thing to consider, If you speak to David he will tell you the aluminum composition of his cars made in Poland is different from what we have in the US. If you need to weld on the car you have to get rod from David or it will not polish or brush out the same. Just something to consider.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

jkqorg2101or7orsomedamnnumber...jaysus, why not make it simple on the rest of us and use a name like Fred or Latecha or Jose or Abdul?

Just screwing with a newbie...you'll get used to it (or not...I frankly don't give a damn), and I'm here to help sorta.

I have one of the first BNLs (bare naked lady) done...after seeing Tom Jr's roughly done as the family track car, and started that trend on these pages. Talked DaveyBoy into creating arruminum scoops so it wouldn't have a damn glass scoop screwing things up. I've maintained it since getting it in 2003.

How? By leaving it the phuk alone as much as possible. Keep it clean, use copious amounts of Windex (blue, not pink) and fix the areas that need it to remove scratches.

Listen to the majority...it is difficult to get it exactly right just for maintenance. Let them do it and instead concentrate on all of the other details you'll want to finish it off with...correct and proper plumbing for the oil vapor tank, the correct mirrors, maybe have them deliver it fully brushed and then add the ghost stripes or rookie fender strips. Always remember that the arruminum scoop will never completely match the rest of the hood/body when you polish, so best to have what are ghost stripes (or slightly polished brushed areas).

I watched one of my bestest buddies (Buckley) do a hand job (one the car, not himself) of polishing at home...started that trend. He had arruminum dust everywhere...I mean everywhere. Use his toilet and you'd end up with a shiny ring on your buns. Brushing will take just as much work/create as much dust.

...just my humble freeking opinion. If you wish to ruin your life and upset the rotataion of the earth, then by golly go in peace, Amen, thanksbetogod and praise Allah.

BTW...when you're in the shop, they have a little known policy...any little parts you can stick in your pockets are free. It's just one of the those nice things Kirkham does for its customers.

elmariachi and Wodnas like this.

Last edited by Jamo; 12-05-2015 at 11:35 AM..
Old 01-04-2016, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Speaking from experience, I would NOT try to brush the car yourself, UNLESS you specifically tell the Kirkhams that you plan to brush or polish your car. Filed finish does not mean your car is ready to be sanded to a brushed finish. Mine has a lot of small divots and holes that will need to be professionally filled before I can sand the body to a brushed finish. I was under the assumption that the car would come filed fairly even and I could start sanding, but that is not the case. Now I must transport my car several hours away and leave it to have metal work done to fill the pits and holes. Will I still save money in the long run? Yes. If I could go back in time and just pay the Kirkhams to brush the car, yes I would.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:35 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

I was at a big car show that I won't mention some time ago and some young vendors had a Kirkham on display that someone loaned them to display their new filing / sanding and polishing techniques. I went back there 3 times during the show to measure their progress.

They had it sooo screwed up I couldn't even look anymore!

I want to think they had a plan and technique, but trying to do that in front of thousands of people wasn't a good plan. Like making sausage...