Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By cycleguy55
  • 1 Post By CompClassics
  • 1 Post By 1795
  • 1 Post By cycleguy55

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum 427 S/C with KC FE 482 Shelby
Not Ranked     
Default Brake booster / brake servo retrofitting

I am wondering if anyone had the same experience: Test driving a Kirkham is highly recommendable - especially as I did, prior to the test drive, expect that the Kirkham would act like a car from the 60īs - This was not the case!!

A throughout positive experience which will for sure end up in a Kirkham for me........and USD for.........

However either the originals (never had the chance to pilot one myself) where lightyears ahead of their time in regard to suspension or Kirkham did another incrediable job (perhaps a combination out of the two is the truth).

The "left open things" I am wondering about are:

1) Did enjoy the test drive in a car which had the billet suspension.
I am tempted to opt for the classical suspension with the Girling brakes
and do now wonder if somebody here did have the chance to drive both
suspension styles and give me some advice whether there are any diff-
erences (I realized the key "USD one" when adding the Kirkham options) in
handling / brakes in real life (no track - but rapid/sportive driving)

2) Brakes: Being spoiled by the brakeing power and performance of my actual
Cobra I am wondering if anyone did retrofit a brake booster to his Kirkham
and how the modifications where carried out (parts / mounting place)
Do not get me wrong: The car brakes nicely but I the wimp in me would
prefer a booster supported system.

3) Should a booster supported system not be inviteable: Did anyone upgrade
the Girling system? If so: How and what was the rough cost for it?

I shall be thankful for your suggestions!

Carsten
Old 04-08-2009, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

Since no one has answered...

The Girling brakes suck, cost more, and suck. No reason to go with these unless you must have original, sucky brakes. (did I mention they suck?)

Original suspention? well leaf spring is original to most small block cars, coil to big block cars. Some like the leaf better, most don't.

Billit suspension parts drop your un-sprung weight (coil suspension), steel tubing is however original.

The power booster would be tough since Kirkham uses the original pedal box design under the floor and I can't see a brake booster getting fitted. (at least not a vacuum one)

Unless you must have it original, go with the Kirkham setup.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ronbo,

thanks for the comments! Really appreciate your input as I am in desperate need for help in regard to my original question as I can only order the car once I have sorted this key aspect!

Originality and sucking brakes: What you indicate about the performance of the Girling-style brakes is my biggest fear (and you have been confirming that I have unfortuantely not been fully mistaken with that angst........sh..)

Being totally torn apart in this case especially as the unsprung weight aspect is always a major point of concern - Fully agree!

I do aim for a car being close to the original. Kirkham is my choice that is for sure - According to my personal preferences the suspension is an integral part of closeness to the original and for this reason the non-billet one remains being in my core-focus.

Getting the car registered / make it fit for classic track use will be less hustle with the original style suspension /though I am of course aware that there are quite a few billet versions on the road on this side of the pond too.

Faceing this challenge I am still stuck as I will obviously not be willing to accept brakes with poor performance whilst at the same time faceing the need/dream to go with steel suspension.

I am still hopeing that I can get some advice from Club Cobra members which have gone through the same challenge in regard to an upgrade for the Girling style set-up. (It is the steel arms I need - not the Girling brakes)

Power booster: This is 2nd step for me and can be sorted once the car is with me. Also a power booster will have no effect on improving poor overall brake performance anyhow - So the Girling issue must be sorted first.

Ronbo, thanks again and hope that someone can help with "the solution"

Carsten
Old 04-10-2009, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

One thing to consider is that the frame on the Kirkham is an exact copy of the original, so even if you changed your mind down the road the original style suspention parts will bolt right in.

The Girling brakes would be fine until you really have to use them, then the solid rotors will start fading on you. How fast you can get to 100mph is important but how fast you get back to zero can be a matter of life and death.

As far as originality goes, without a CSX # you'll never be "one of the boys" like the fiberglass CSX owners.

If it helps you can't see any of this stuff anyway, when you do pop a wheel off it's much more impressive looking than the original setup.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ronbo, do fully agree that the aspect from 100 to 0 is the vital one ......

So I will need to work out a solution for this with the original suspension - or like you say: opt for the billet one (which will make registration difficult over here)

CSX #: Good point for the brand focused ones but fortunately not for me as I want "my original" and I am pretty convinced (with what I have seen so far) that the Kirkham will be the choice I wonīt regret - or should I better say: This is the original I want (still preferrably with steel suspension)

In case I find a solution I shall post "my way" here- Perhaps in can help other interested parties........

Thanks again for the input

Carsten
Old 04-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Carsten -
Just curious, have you asked the Kirkham's if you can have your cake and eat it too? Meaning, can you order the original style steel suspension yet also have the upgraded modern brakes fitted to the original style suspension? I don't have a Kirkham (I wish I did) but in the small bit that I have dealt with them on parts for my car, they have always been EXTREMELY accommodating, and always seem to welcome the challenge of a one off solution. Talk with them, there is likely something that can be worked out for you.

Also, I am not one who has all the history and knowledge of the original cars at my fingertips, but I can tell you through what I have heard that each and every item that I have heard about the original Girling brakes has been bad. I have never heard a good thing about them. For whatever that's worth......

Darn, I wish I was ordering a Kirkham for myself......good luck!

By the way, where are you writing from? Australia? Europe?
Old 04-11-2009, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi 767Jockey: Your suggestion - I contacted David Kirkham and I may report (you have been fully correct) that his speed in responding is positively breathtaking!! WOW!!!

As I am a European non-native english speaker I am not sure if I understood him well but I am under the impression as if there was a chance to combine the steel suspension with Willwood brakes (again: if I understood well - so poor David has received another PM from me)

Should this be the case it would help a lot and be the solution to my problem.

cheers
Carsten
Old 04-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

David and the company as a whole is awesome to deal with. I have little doubt that they'll be able to set you up with exactly what you want. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What about changing to the Shelby/Bear vented race system that Shelby uses on their CSX4000 and R series? We have this on stock. Give us a call. I also have experience with the booster system. All is a question what engine you are using.

HAWK CARS LTD. GERMANY &
KIRKHAM MOTORSPORTS EUROPE
Old 04-14-2009, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

I have the original suspension...with Wildwood brakes, as delivered by the Boys several years ago before the shiney stuff was even offered.

Go with the modern brakes...don't even think twice about it.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fritz, Jamo,

thanks for the reply and input - I will 99% go for the Willwoods in combination with the original suspension and sort the booster issue once the car is in my garage or in someone elses (Fritz......)

Let me again express my appreciation for the granted advices.......

Carsten
Old 02-19-2019, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

I know this is an old thread and I am only bring it back today because there have been improvements made on the brake pad compounds for the Girling style brake pads, there are currently three different variations available from EBC. The "yellow" compound being the best for a street application.
As per the OPs question regarding power brakes, you can fit a remote brake booster system to your Cobra.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
As per the OPs question regarding power brakes, you can fit a remote brake booster system to your Cobra.
There's an entire thread on remote brake boosters here: Driver assist for manual brakes.
CompClassics likes this.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

cycleguy55,

I realize that. I was addressing the fact that there are better brake pads now available for people using or wanting to equip there Cobras with the Original style Girling brake calipers.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I have been experimenting with Prosystems brake pads for race application with the Girling brakes on the cobra and am happy with them. They offer different grades of pad material and will resurface your existing backing plates
CompClassics likes this.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
cycleguy55,

I realize that. I was addressing the fact that there are better brake pads now available for people using or wanting to equip there Cobras with the Original style Girling brake calipers.
I responded to you, but the content was really for the benefit of the OP.

Sorry about that.
CompClassics likes this.