Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Kirkham Motorsports (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/)
-   -   289FIA Kirkham @ Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/141816-289fia-kirkham-barrett-jackson-scottsdale.html)

RestoCreations 12-19-2018 03:03 PM

289FIA Kirkham @ Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale

Just wanted to let everybody know that I consigned by 65 289FIA Kirkham for Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale 2019. It will roll across the block on Friday January 18th sometime between 5-6:30pm. It is lot 1085 Link below with photos. This is a no reserve auction, so if you are in the market, this could be a good chance to get a deal.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...REATION-222541

twobjshelbys 12-19-2018 03:13 PM

You got a prime day and time, so they must think it will do well! Good luck!!!

RestoCreations 12-20-2018 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1455447)
You got a prime day and time, so they must think it will do well! Good luck!!!

Never know. It's kind of a crap shoot at Barrett-Jackson. I think the car represents itself well though and Barrett-Jackson should be able to get it in front of the right people with the right atmosphere.

66gtk 12-20-2018 07:38 AM

Best of luck!

CSX 4133 12-20-2018 08:49 AM

Price wise it will depend on the "crowd" and whether there are other comparible replica's competing for bidders. One thing I would remove is the Carroll Shelby signature decals, they do nothing for the engine bay or the cars credibility, my 2 cents.

RestoCreations 12-20-2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSX 4133 (Post 1455473)
Price wise it will depend on the "crowd" and whether there are other comparible replica's competing for bidders. One thing I would remove is the Carroll Shelby signature decals, they do nothing for the engine bay or the cars credibility, my 2 cents.

Those are not decals. It’s lazer etched into the valve covers and air cleaner. I didn’t build this car to look exactly like an original 289FIA. I debated over the covers a good bit, and I like these. To each their own! It’s a trivial item when you consider the cost of the car. Someone can spend $300 and change them out to something different if they like.

1985 CCX 12-21-2018 07:59 AM

I hope you set a record!

RestoCreations 12-27-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985 CCX (Post 1455515)
I hope you set a record!

Me too! I don't want to sell it, but things have changed and I now have a wife and two children and we need the money.
I have to say, this has been my favorite of all the Cobras I have built or owned. The drivability of the 289FIA model compared to the 427FE is totally different. The Ironman Cobra was so cool and a blast to drive, but it was so front end heavy(even with the aluminum Shelby block) and ran HOT all the time.
I would highly recommend the Ford Racing 363 crate engine to anybody looking for a high performance small block. Even though it has a very aggressive cam, it idles perfectly at 800rpm and has great response throughout the rpm range when combined with a dual plane intake.

RestoCreations 01-20-2019 01:09 AM

I just lost 35k tonight on my 289FIA Kirkham. I’ll never own another.
To all, I would suggest never purchasing a polished finish!!! It’s a nightmare and a rip off. It never looked good and as soon as you touch it there are scratches.
The car is no longer mine so I can now speak the truth. Paint it!
The cars are wonderful works of art, but a polished body or stripes are a nightmare. All the best to the Kirkhams, they are truly artists, but I would never order or pay 16k for a polished finish again!!!

750hp 01-20-2019 03:34 AM

Sorry it didn’t reach the price you’d hoped. On the other hand, you cold say that whatever it has depreciated in the 3 years the car has been finished, would be much less than the depreciation on a similar priced BMW, Ferrari or Lamborghini or any other exotic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RestoCreations (Post 1457021)
To all, I would suggest never purchasing a polished finish!!! It’s a nightmare and a rip off. It never looked good and as soon as you touch it there are scratches.
The cars are wonderful works of art, but a polished body or stripes are a nightmare. All the best to the Kirkhams, they are truly artists, but I would never order or pay 16k for a polished finish again!!!

dacobb 01-20-2019 05:59 AM

Unfortunately, with the economy cooling off a bit, it's not a great time to be a seller.

sea2jet 01-20-2019 06:07 AM

I wish you would have posted it for sale here. I for one would have paid more for it.

desgros@vtlink. 01-20-2019 07:13 AM

The folks at B-J are experts which is one reason almost all sales are with no reserve. They will nearly always come out ahead. I also learned the hard way.

John
ERA Slabside #3010 289 BRG

66gtk 01-20-2019 07:28 AM

I was also a bit surprised this car didn't do as well at BJ. We saw another black SPF get over $100K, and a CSX 6K car get less than that. I would have thought the crowd there would have been all over that polished aluminum car. I don't think paint would have helped at this auction, but I agree that I'd prefer my Cobra to be painted. That being said, the issues you brought up about the polished maintenance and care needs can be said for a nice, truly SHOW quality solid color (no metallic) paint job, like BLACK.

I have seen and heard too many stories about the BJ circus that I would be extremely hesitant to rely on them to sell one of my cars. I would also be hesitant to buy one of their auction cars without an expert, professional inspection. Even then, a test drive is not allowed. There are too many other venues that protect the sellers and buyers much better. The only one who consistently wins at BJ is BJ.

Phx Mike 01-20-2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

Sorry your car did not command a higher price. As has been said above I am not convinced a general car auction like BJ is the best place to sell a Cobra replica.

I guess I would also add that I must have some special talent because I really have no trouble keeping the polished finish on my car looking pretty good. Certainly not a “nightmare” for me and I drive it all the time.

patrickt 01-20-2019 08:01 AM

Quote:

RodKnock would have told you to paint it beige.;)

twobjshelbys 01-20-2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Finally. I've seen many of these over the years, and even Shelby has caught the disease. I'll relate two experiences:

1. At the Shelby American Collection annual party a few years ago they had an area blocked off for Cobras. Someone drove up with a brushed Kirkham. It looked so bad that nearby comments were "it looks unfinsihed, why would he bring it before it's been painted". It was horrible. They made him park it in another area.

2. Shelby American had one of the anniversary cars at Barrett Jackson. It was in the Mothers booth with someone huddled over it trying to polish it up. The booth guy was not happy with progress. I went back by an hour later and the car was under a cover in the corner. They'd stopped because it was taking too long and they couldn't get a uniform look without spending many more hours, hours that were committed to other vehicles being detailed for the block.

Some love them, but to me it's like black paint: A never ending battle that starts at one end of the car and by the time you get to the other end, you have to go back and start over again. Like the instructions on shampoo: Lather, rinse, repeat.

1985 CCX 01-20-2019 09:07 AM

It’s s Resto mod season for sure..... originality beware
Although the bling of a polished car should have helped.
Don’t attack me ( KMS guys) for this as I like paint and the SPF car was buggy spring chassis. To me two positives when I look at the 289 cars.

A friend of mine sold a "hybrid" KMS FIA recently and only got slightly more while painted.

Keep the replicas in the garage this year.
Sell your hot rods if you must

RodKnock 01-20-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1457041)
RodKnock would have told you to paint it beige.;)

Last night my cat ate some dry food and then within a few minutes barfed it up in such a fashion that the first thought that came to my mind was Patrick’s Cobra. Perfect shade of cat puke and a very similar profile. :LOL:

patrickt 01-20-2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1457058)
Last night my cat ate some dry food and then within a few minutes barfed it up in such a fashion that the first thought that came to my mind was Patrick’s Cobra. Perfect shade of cat puke and a very similar profile. :LOL:

Try the 9-Lives Super Supper, she'll love it.:cool: