Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree210Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 02:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
You know, you keep repeating this stuff. There is no factual statement from Shelby that he invented the term "continuation", only the unverified claim in the Registry, which is not a definitive source of Shelby's business practices or intent. So you can continue to claim it since it suits your agenda, but it's nothing more than hearsay.

Also, your claim that Shelby is owned by someone else is flat out blatantly false. The information as to the evolution to Carroll Shelby International is available. Shelby was majority owner (by about 70%). Presuming that went to his estate the family still is in control by a large margin. Surely you don't think that if someone else owned it things wouldn't have changed?

You can argue til you're blue in the face but it won't change the facts.
The facts are in the Registry. Shelby was interviewed for the Registry. Ned Scudder is one of the world's foremost experts on Cobras. Period. You can disagree with the Registry and Ned, but I'll go with the Ned and the Registry.

And you're wrong about the Shelby company. A majority stake was sold to another company. And that new company took CSI public. At the time, I believe Shelby retained 25% of the new company.

"You can argue til you're blue in the face but it won't change the facts." Same to you!
Old 12-03-2019, 02:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Uhhh, RodKnock… have the conditions in the Bay area finally gotten to you? You seem to be more "on the edge" than you used to be. That dog is going to be good for your mental health.
Feeling GREAT! What conditions in the Bay Area? I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post

And you're wrong about the Shelby company. A majority stake was sold to another company. And that new company took CSI public. At the time, I believe Shelby retained 25% of the new company.
What you believe is in fact incorrect. Fake news. I confirmed with due diligence for a sizeable contribution to the foundation. You need to "unbelieve" it.

PS. Stock today went up. 10c

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 12-03-2019 at 03:14 PM..
Old 12-03-2019, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

I keep telling myself to stay away from this 'discussion'....but we're all car blokes so common sense goes out the window.

Here's my once only take on it.

What is a Shelby' car? If it was made by the Shelby company, or made under a Shelby contract by another company for Shelby, then surely, yes, it must be a 'Shelby'.

What is a 'Cobra'? If it's preceded by the Shelby name, it can only be one of the 998 cars that left the Shelby premises back in the 1960s

If it's a Shelby Cobra Continuation car, then it is a Shelby authorised 'replica' of the '60s Shelby Cobras. You can try and get around that description using a semantics argument, but you can't get away from the fact that a Shelby Cobra Continuation car is not a Shelby Cobra.

I'm out

Cheers!
Glen
AndrewB, Gaz64 and sea2jet like this.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Sure, they made a "profit." We always make a "profit" when selling our cars.

Of course, there's the time value of money, gas, insurance, registration, repairs, upgrades, etc. to consider too.

Oh, let's not forget the fact that in the last decade the S&P 500 has roughly tripled in value.

If I sell my Kirkham now, then I'll make a profit too. Profits aren't limited to only one brand of Cobra replica. I haven't checked lately, but Kirkham's and ERA's production has about 1-2 year wait list. In fact, the Kirkham's moved to a larger facility.

BTW, Evan claimed he sold his car for a lot of money, but someone here on CC has posted that was a lie. More internet stories of fabulous wealth tp be gained by owning a Shelby replica.
This guy must be drunk posting... if not he is not very bright... lol
Old 12-04-2019, 12:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The facts are in the Registry. Shelby was interviewed for the Registry. Ned Scudder is one of the world's foremost experts on Cobras. Period. You can disagree with the Registry and Ned, but I'll go with the Ned and the Registry.
lets see whats the registry (2008) really says:

on page 30 under the list of SAAC working definitions for describing Cobras:

CSX 1000-4000-7000-8000:

"current production Cobras built by Shelby..."

and under the CSX 4000 topic:

" They were not exactly original, but neither were they replicas, either..."

if Shelby would build an D-Type, then this car would be a replica built by Shelby, but if Jaguar build it, its a genuine, real Jaguar D-type of current production, a continuation D-Type

so Shelby cannot build a replica of ist own creation, it is naturally a continuation production
Blue66, BigGuy and twobjshelbys like this.

Last edited by peterpjb; 12-04-2019 at 06:43 AM..
Old 12-04-2019, 02:55 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Instead how about we focus on the holidays coming up

1795, spdbrake and Alfa02 like this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS

Last edited by mrmustang; 12-04-2019 at 03:00 AM..
Old 12-04-2019, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

It's not that simple.

Is that a real tree....or a replica?
Old 12-04-2019, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
lets see whats the registry (2008) really says:

on page 30 under the list of SAAC working definitions for describing Cobras:

CSX 1000-4000-7000-8000:

"current production Cobras built by Shelby..."

and under the CSX 4000 topic:

" They were not exactly original, but neither were they replicas, either..."

if Shelby would build an D-Type, then this car would be a replica built by Shelby, but if Jaguar build it, its a genuine, real Jaguar D-type of current production, a continuation D-Type

so Shelby cannot build a replica of ist own creation, it is naturally a continuation production
There you have it.

The Jaguar continuation cars (which sold for what, about a million bucks each) were mentioned and those that said Shelby was wrong also asserted Jaguar was wrong. BTW, the Jaguar D-types are gorgeous but the E-type wins the prize.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I Generally reply, No, my pockets aren't that deep."
Old 12-04-2019, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yes, any comment that disagrees with yours is considered "stupid." Of course.

My witty comeback is that anyone that thinks his post-1967 Shelby Cobra is a real Shelby Cobra has paid a large premium for a car that he/she believes has more value than any other replica just because of the Shelby name. I'm not buying the marketing "hype." Nor do I think they're "real."

The bottom line is that Shelby didn't want to call them replicas, so he came up with another name. It's right there in the 2008 Shelby World Registry. And one of the world's foremost Cobra experts states that the modern Shelbys are replicas.

If you read the old 64-page thread, then there's several posts where we discuss examples of companies reproducing items, such as watches for example, that are replicas of their original version.

30-40-50 years later, your Shelby Cobra replica uses completely different parts and materials, 1960's versus 2010's, and body too, it's a replica of the original real Shelby Cobra. And it's delivered incomplete. Engine, transmission, alignment, exhaust, etc. to be purchased and/or installed by owner. Just like the 1960's.

As I said, you can call it a real Shelby Cobra, you more than welcome to cling to that "religion." What do I care. But I, and at least Ned Scudder, know your Shelby is a replica.

For me, I wouldn't pay any premium for a Shelby. Buy a Kirkham, keep the Shelby badges. And if you own a fiberglass Shelby, then, well, er, uh, moving on now. (We all know Shelby never made a fiberglass Cobra in the 1960's)
your "witty comeback" is not witty, its annoying and stupid. I'm done wasting my bandwidth debating this topic with someone who likes to see himself be a TROLL. Im done. And we dont care what you think, its obvious with all the replys here, go ahead a re-read your 65 page post.. have fun.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Cobras nomenclature:
  • Original: One of the original 998 Cobras built by Shelby
  • Shelby: All of the above, plus any other (continuation) Cobra made by the Shelby company, or made under a Shelby contract by another company for Shelby.
  • Cobra: All of the above, plus replicas, kit cars, etc. utilizing the Cobra shape, design, etc., even if not 100% faithful to the original.

Just my $0.02.
ERA 626, Blue66, BigGuy and 2 others like this.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
your "witty comeback" is not witty, its annoying and stupid. I'm done wasting my bandwidth debating this topic with someone who likes to see himself be a TROLL. Im done. And we dont care what you think, its obvious with all the replys here, go ahead a re-read your 65 page post.. have fun.
RodKnock, I think you struck a nerve.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

IMPO I like the Fake thread better. My fake is faker than your fake! (Where my car belongs)
I'll admit I'm not a faithful replica aficionado (nut is too harsh). I won't chase down an ultra rare elbow fitting to install on my quasi-replica.

I'm always honest when asked about my car. It's like a Comb-over. Who are you really fooling....?
moore_rb likes this.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

I'm gonna just start saying "I wish"!
Old 12-05-2019, 07:47 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Back in the ol' days, this thread would now be locked. But, it's just about the only active thread we have going anymore.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

I have never understood why threads get locked (not picking on this forum). I like them when they wander and so forth.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

I drove past a sport car dealeship north of Melbourne a couple of months ago and saw a Cobra. So I stopped to have a look, and the salesman came up and told me it was a real one, not one of them fake plastic copies. I said how much? He said it was the bosses private car, so not for sale, but telephone numbers.
I said ok, I have one of them fake plastic copies, and he dissapeared. Even though I was looking at some of the other nice cars there. JD
Old 12-05-2019, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
I keep telling myself to stay away from this 'discussion'....but we're all car blokes so common sense goes out the window.

Here's my once only take on it.

What is a Shelby' car? If it was made by the Shelby company, or made under a Shelby contract by another company for Shelby, then surely, yes, it must be a 'Shelby'.

What is a 'Cobra'? If it's preceded by the Shelby name, it can only be one of the 998 cars that left the Shelby premises back in the 1960s

If it's a Shelby Cobra Continuation car, then it is a Shelby authorised 'replica' of the '60s Shelby Cobras. You can try and get around that description using a semantics argument, but you can't get away from the fact that a Shelby Cobra Continuation car is not a Shelby Cobra.

I'm out

Cheers!
Glen
your comments are confusing to say the least.
Your first sentence
"What is a Shelby' car? If it was made by the Shelby company, or made under a Shelby contract by another company for Shelby, then surely, yes, it must be a 'Shelby'."

The 4000/6000 series cars fall under this catagory, so according to your statement, these cars are shelbys, right?

Sentence #2 no clue

Sentence #3 is canceling sentence#1 are we ok? or are are we confused here?

this is why this thread is like herding cats...
Old 12-06-2019, 03:21 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Cobra ownership-Check
Manufacturer-irrelevant
How you use the car-irrelevant
Enthusiasm-check
Life in general-priceless

For everything else, you have this thread and at least 100 others just like it that go nowhere, and do nothing for the above.

Bottom line, as long as you are happy with what you personally own, great. For how to call your car, only you have to answer that question and live with the response, whether it is truthful or not.

Bill
Jaydee and moore_rb like this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS