Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree210Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2019, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I usually tell them that it is a faithful reproduction of the original 289 race cars, with the exception of the fiberglass body. However, there have been a couple of times with this car and my former ERA that some old person has been so ecstatic that they finally got to see an "original" and that they have been waiting their whole life to see one and they were certain that my cobra was one, that I could not bear to ruin their moment and did not say that it was a replica.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Jim, great stuff

I usually say "it's really here" and that it is a faithful reproduction of the original style car. Most are still happy to look it over and talk details.

Had a guy last year say, I was just about to take my magnet to it and see if it was all aluminum. Still get, "is that a 427?" ugh....

Lets face it, if I had the $1MM to get a real one I would but this is the best I can do.... Most folks get it...
Alfa02 likes this.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 01-15-2019 at 06:36 AM..
Old 01-15-2019, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star with IRS, 427W with megasquirt, T56 magnum
Not Ranked     

Do you see any square roots of negative numbers here?
Gaz64 and 120mm like this.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

It would be safer for me to just say "no" rather than attempt to dazzle the questioner with my knowledge of real numbers

Cheers!
Glen

edit: I could say...
"no, but I'm flattered that you asked"
or
"yes" if my circumstances had changed

Last edited by xb-60; 01-15-2019 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: edited
Old 02-03-2019, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
This is NOT the first time this has been discussed and in the past it has resulted in some heated and often hateful discussions. Hopefully things have settled down a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
twobjshelbys,
Heated and hateful discussions? I haven't seen one in a while.
I think most members here are beyond the age having an ounce of testosterone left.
I think those "spirited" discussions are a thing of the past. One of my favorite questions of all time was when a hot rodded 4 banger recently zoomed up beside me in a gas station. He rolled down his window and with a huge grin asked...

"Is that a real Kirkham?"

David
BigGuy, Igofastr, 1985 CCX and 4 others like this.
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 02-04-2019, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 fe weber 48 ida
Not Ranked     

I've been waiting for that very same question David
Old 02-05-2019, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just trying to be helpful:

1985 CCX, Brdslayr and svelto916 like this.

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 02-05-2019, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 FIA Superformance 425hp 289
Not Ranked     

Shelby built or Shelby branded?
Old 02-05-2019, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

David: I'm sure the bare aluminum was tip-off!

Ted

Last edited by MOTORHEAD; 02-05-2019 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 02-05-2019, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
I think those "spirited" discussions are a thing of the past. One of my favorite questions of all time was when a hot rodded 4 banger recently zoomed up beside me in a gas station. He rolled down his window and with a huge grin asked...

"Is that a real Kirkham?"

David
Did you respond: "Yes, I am"? LOL
xb-60, peterpjb and Alfa02 like this.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto One View Post
I just tell them what it is. Simple. I'm not ashamed of it or what it is.

Mark
When these questions come up I use the replica line, not a kit car, but a replica. If it was a 60's original it would be in my living room surrounded by lots of security and not in the streets. But this replica I am enjoying quite a bit!! Move on!!
Moto One likes this.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

My car is en route, but if someone asks I’ll tell them straight up it’s a replica Cobra. Anything built after 1967 is a replica, some are more expensive than others, my opinion of course.
GT Trooper and Phx Mike like this.

Last edited by RUFdriver; 02-10-2019 at 04:06 PM..
Old 02-10-2019, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary / FE
Not Ranked     

My answer: Well it's not a mirage.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

This last week I was at a show and the first four people ask THE question. After that, I began replying, "What do you think? I've had 19 people ask me that today and I've given four different answers. So now it's your turn. Look the car over and tell me if you think it's real." Then when they come back and say, "I don't know", I ask them why it makes a difference... at this point they usually get frustrated, pissed off or confused and just walk off. I take some great perverted pleasure in this.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 03-03-2019, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I can’t figure out why some of us get so offended by being asked “the question”. We built our cars to mimick the original so why get pissy when someone asks if it is, in fact, an original. Seems to me that’s a compliment. Tells me my car is practically indistinguishable from an original to the uneducated spectator. Sure beats having a guy check out your car and then say “kit car” and move on.
Here we’ve got people obviously interested in knowing about our cars and we shine them on or give them some BS answer.
If you’re going to show your car, you better be prepared to answer “the question” as long as you are standing next to it. If you don’t want to be bothered answering them, have a sign printed up that says “This is NOT an original 60’s Cobra. It is a custom built recreation of a past legend.” Or, better yet, stay home and let those of us who do enjoy informing the curious how our cars came about.
Last thing I want is some dad with his kid walking away saying “what a prick” just because he was the fiftieth guy who asked me if “it’s a real cobra” and I gave him a smart-assed answer.
But, that’s just me.
jherrud, BigGuy, csw and 2 others like this.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:18 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
I can’t figure out why some of us get so offended by being asked “the question”. We built our cars to mimick the original so why get pissy when someone asks if it is, in fact, an original.
Yep, it's kind of like when a pro ball player gets irritated because fans are waiting outside for an autograph. And remember, the vast majority of people don't have a clue about our cars. I remember a show about ten years ago. There were two twenty-something girls that came up to my car and one said "this looks like James Bond's car." The second one then said "I bet it's worth a lot - maybe ten thousand dollars." I just smiled politely. Who knows, they may very well be in Congress by now.
jherrud and BigGuy like this.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:08 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Then there’s times like this…

We were making a right turn out of a motorsport shop parking lot. A guy was coming the other direction on a red/white road going type superbike (Yamaha I believe). The second he saw the Cobra he cut hard across lanes and sped up, an evasive looking move, straight at us. I had to stop half way into my lane so as not to hit him, as he curved around to a hard stop at my door.

Big, bruising biker dude now looking down at me, peeling his helmet back like a hockey player. A spitting image of Darrell Sheets of Storage Wars (I still think it was him). Was he about to pummel me? Had I cut him off?

We’re still both out in traffic, cars stacking behind him. He slowly looks our car over, front to back, back to front again. He turns with a growing grin and says ‘damn, that’s an ugly car you got there!!!’ Just sitting there shaking his head in admiration. Enough said, no further explanations needed.

I pointed to his bike and said ‘hey…you too!” We both laughed, talked for a few seconds, seemed like a very cool, fun-loving guy, with a captivating character. We admired the machines a few seconds longer, gave assuring nods and went on our ways…a fun little moment in the Cobra.

There’s a man with his priorities straight…the world can always stand still for a few moments for a Cobra!

Brent
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
I can’t figure out why some of us get so offended by being asked “the question”. We built our cars to mimick the original so why get pissy when someone asks if it is, in fact, an original.

It's not the question that bugs most of us, it's the response when we answer.

"Oh, well, it's still a nice looking car."

I usually answer, "Nope, this is a painstakingly hand crafted replica that I built myself."
Gaz64 and GT Trooper like this.

Last edited by lnfletcher; 03-04-2019 at 09:32 AM..
Old 03-04-2019, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary / FE
Not Ranked     
Default My Answer

My answer of "Well it's not a mirage" usually gets met with a laugh or two as I say it with a smile on my face. Then I explain that it is just another kit car. Or in other words just a rolling pile of metal, glass, rubber, leather, plastic and some glue. Good for another laugh. That usually leads to many questions about what was done to it and how close is it to the original. Makes great conversation with the show attendees. It's all fun.

fun story
One time I was displaying at a show and was walking through the show when I returned to my car there was a crowd around it. One younger man was explaining to the crowd that my car was an original and he had them captivated with his knowledge. I made my way beside him and asked him many questions about how he could tell how this car was an original. He told a pretty good story!!!! I then told him that I was pretty sure it was a kit. When he asked why I thought so I told him I owned and built the car. The crowd got a good laugh and I placed my hand on the shoulder of the you man. To save him future embarrassment I told him that it happens all the time (which it really doesn't) but hey, he was a nice kid. He then sat down with me and we talked about Cobras and his love for them all afternoon.
BigGuy, Gaz64 and Alfa02 like this.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Wouldn't it be worse if you got totally ignored and nobody ever said anything.
I mean everytime I look , I go damn it looks nice and you hope other people think so to.
JD