Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2002, 07:49 PM
289 FIA Fan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question 289 Fia

I have probably missed this somewhere, if so, sorry.

I know you pride yourselves on having the 427 SC as close to the original, with minor differences for safety, but what about the 289 FIA? Is it true to the original, or is it coil sprung, like the SC, or possibly something completely different?

Thanks

Dave Lowell
Old 12-03-2002, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP 666
Not Ranked     
Default Re: 289 Fia

Quote:
Originally posted by Thorin
I have probably missed this somewhere, if so, sorry.

I know you pride yourselves on having the 427 SC as close to the original, with minor differences for safety, but what about the 289 FIA? Is it true to the original, or is it coil sprung, like the SC, or possibly something completely different?

Thanks

Dave Lowell
It has transverse leaf springs.

There is also a 'hybred' car for sale which is basically a 289 body on a 427 chassis. It's a lightweight screamer.

Both models are currently available.

Steve
Old 12-26-2002, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

First, I would like to applaud you for your continuing generosity. Your donation has created great interest in the different cars you have available.
May I have a catalog or e-mail or the address to download the particulars of the FIA or hybrid?
I know for sure that many of us at Bay Area Cobra Club will be buying a ticket for DVCFIII and Jenny.
Thanks again, Gary
Old 01-01-2003, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Re: 289 Fia

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Kirkham

[There is also a 'hybred' car for sale which is basically a 289 body on a 427 chassis. It's a lightweight screamer.

Steve [/b]

I thought that the 427 was 5" wider than the 289. Is the hybred coil-sprung 289 wider than the regular FIA? Is the interior 427 or 289? Is the chasis set up for a big-block?
Old 01-01-2003, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Lew,
The Kirkhams build beautiful cars. Why would they want to ruin the 289 by putting in that "other engine"?

Cranky
Old 01-01-2003, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

I agree, I would not want to put a BB in an FIA. My confusion lies in that David said that the hybrid car is a 289 body on a 427 chasis. I thought that the 427 chasis was bigger than the 289 chasis and therefore did not know how a 289 body could fit on a 427 chasis. I asked if the 427 motor would fit in order to try to determine whether it really would be a 427 chasis or whether it would be the smaller 289 chasis with 427 type suspension components. I want a 289 Kirkham FIA car with a SB. I might be interested in one that had the more sophisticated coil-sprung suspension, as long as was on the smaller more lithe car.

Lew
Old 01-01-2003, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to Specialk Send a message via Skype™ to Specialk
Not Ranked     

Lew,

The width of the cars is not enough to matter. The 427 and 289 cars have identical interior sizes, share the same hood, doors, and trunk lid. There is not much of a difference in the FIA and 427 bodies when you compare rough dimensions.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse
Not Ranked     

I do know you can fit a 351 in the car- but not the BB.
the car has 427 style footboxes inorder to acomodate a 351-
RIP- E0 #2253
lo que escribo - es solo mi opinion
si te gusta bien - si no, lo siento
Old 02-02-2003, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

Actually...

Our hybrid car has the 427 frame mounts in it. The car chassis is IDENTICAL to the 427 chassis. There is no problem with a 427 in our hybrid car.

If you want to put in a little block...you will need some special motor mount adaptors. Not too difficult to do. We set the car up with the 427 mounts so either engine could be easily installed.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."