Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2002, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     
Question Which Kirkham?

I would like to buy a Kirkham or SAI. At this point I am leaning heavily toward the Kirkham. My question is which Kirkham model is the most fun twisty road car? 427, 289 FIA, 289 FIA/coil sprung? I have a nice twisty hilly 8 mile trip into the office (o.k., the last mile is very light small city traffic). I just want something that is a blast to drive, handles well, goes fast, stops fast and is rewarding to drive. My current ride is an '88 911 cab with totally redone suspension and a 1996 varioram 3.6 instaled (+/-310 hp). I like the Porsche's crisp handling and added power, but I want something that is even more fun to drive.

Any help?
Thanks,

Lew
Old 12-31-2002, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Lew,
You will be stepping down a notch as far as handling goes. You will have more high speed power but the little German cars will beat you in the corner

Almost like trading in your Mercedes on a Caddy.

Cranky

BTW Go for the Kirkham 289 FIA, best replica out there.

Last edited by RACER X #99; 12-31-2002 at 04:32 PM..
Old 12-31-2002, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA / nascar side oiler
Not Ranked     

You will have more fun in your cobra than your '88 911 !!! ERA is an exceptional handling vehicial , As comfortable as any quality sports car , also adjustable . My 427 sc is more fun to drive than my Brother in laws (Hal) '86 targa , '97 turbo carrea . Hal sold his cars , and will by a cobra in spring . Have Fun !!!
Old 12-31-2002, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies. Actually plan on keeping the 911 along with the Cobra. I am a sucker for the "modern" technology of both cars and I just can never sell stuff.

Has anyone driven both the FIA and the 427? Also I am 6'4" with size 13 feet. Will I be able to fit in either?

Lew
Old 12-31-2002, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Wink Find one, sit in it !

Do not buy one unless you do this...I am 5 ft 11 and not overweight, but many standard cobras are way uncomfortable for me..I bang my leg on most of the lower dashes, and they feel very narrow width wise, also without tilt the steering wheel is too low.
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 12-31-2002, 10:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33868 Sold. Just "playin' the boards now."
Not Ranked     

You'll want the seat back as far as it will go in any Cobra. You will be looking over the top of the windshield also, so screw your hat down or lose it. You will NOT be able to wear Nike's or any other bulky shoe to drive in. I used boat shoes with my size 12 feet and it worked fine. Bring the tenny runners along to change into for extended walking like at carshows and such.

Remember, Cobra's were first itty bitty AC's built for 5'6" Englishmen. Us big guys have to adapt a bit, but you certainly won't be the first 6' plus guy to buy and drive one.

If you want the best available, I recommend the Kirkham as it is more authentic in details that Shelby has "modernized". Either one is great and Shelby is using Kirkham bodies and chassis anyway. The benifit to the Shelby if it matters to you, is that it can be registered with SAAC as a real Cobra.

I actually have thought about having Kirkham do the car to original spec and paying Shelby for his "seal of approval" in the form of a CSX serial number.

Don't let anybody kid you about the handling of the Cobra vs the Porsche. Push your Porsche hard enough and you'll be going basackwards down the road. Push the Cobra and it will slide the rear out, but can be throttle corrected. I had a guy in a Turbo Carrera try to play with me on one of our twisty costal roads here in Oregon. He lost and darned near lost the car over a bank trying.

Have fun!

Al
Old 12-31-2002, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

David and Tom Kirkham are creating me a Rochester Big & Tall model (may be named the "Jamo" if we work out the licensing fee schedule). I recommend that you pay a visit to any mfg that you choose as I did with Kirkham--there's a lot of room that can be built in as they go--tougher to modify later.

In my case (6' 330lbs) they are able to move the pedals up a bit, move the seat back with a notch in the inner tire wheel, move the wheel up a bit (also--15" instead of 16"), taking the seat rails out, taking some of the foam out of the bottom cushion (us big guys do tend to carry our own padding around)--and they are able to space the pedals out a bit.

I use boat shoes as well, Simpsons for track work and have found that my Pilotes, now broken in, are working out quite nicely.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:21 PM
Senior Dragontamer
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Lew,
You really should visit Kirkham Motorsports and see the 427 and 289 FIA cars. David and Tom usually have several cars in various build stages as well as their own personal cars you can look at. They are world class people as well.

The transverse leaf 289 car rides a little different than the 427 or coil sprung 289 FIA hybrid, not quite as refined. It depends if you want authenticity, track handling, ride quality, etc.

I have my opinion on which car to buy, you'll have yours. Bottom line...you should go see the cars, see the facilities, and meet the people of all Cobra manufacturers you are considering.
Jeff
Old 01-01-2003, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies. I am planning to head out to Utah to ski in Feb. I sent a message to Tom Kirkham asking if I could stop by the shop. I am waiting to hear back. Although Feb might not be the best time of year for test drives, I would at least be able to sit in the car.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Jamo,
Did you loose weight again?

Man! You must be in training for something!

TURK
Old 01-01-2003, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Turk

First day of the new year, and you're already being so sweet!
Old 01-01-2003, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2078. 331 stroker, sportsman block built by Evanuik Performance. 450hp
Send a message via AIM to SSSnake
Not Ranked     

I'm 6' 5 and wear a size 16 shoe and have no problem fitting in the ERA FIA. Just take some padding out of the bottom of the seat and use a 15" wheel.

Glenn
Old 01-19-2003, 01:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse
Not Ranked     

I have been in both cars and driven thomas' 427- I like the 289 car body the best and obviously the coilover car will hadle better- We did a leaf car a while back and it too stuck like glue but again - it will ride rougher - I liked it but again - I would choose a 289 prob with the coilover susp-

that said- like Jamo said - today he was in for a second time for more fitting to his car- a lot can be done to the cars- kind nip and tuck like to get quite a bit more room- but that up to what you want to do, having said that- call dave or thomas and talk to them.
RIP- E0 #2253
lo que escribo - es solo mi opinion
si te gusta bien - si no, lo siento
Old 01-19-2003, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks. I plan to stop by in Feb.

Lew

I'm no expert.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP 666
Not Ranked     
Default 289 Hybrid is what you're after.

Sorry I haven't kept up.

As to the best twisty runner, it would absolutely be the hybrid. The combination of the light small block with the 427 frame rigidity and coil over suspension make this the fastest ride for twisty road races that we have.

Sorry nobody has answered you. I think the internet ate your e-mail. In any case, feel free to stop in, we look forward to fitting you into a car.

Steve Kirkham
Kirkham Motorsports
Old 02-02-2003, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for responding. I tried to e-mail you guys recently, but my e-mail was bounced back as undeliverable. Did you guys change your address, as I mererly hit "reply" to a message that you sent to me a few weeks ago. Anyway, unfortunately, the trip to Utah has been postponed. I will call when I get new dates.

Thanks for the follow-up.
Lew
Old 02-03-2003, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP 666
Not Ranked     

e-mail address:
Just added a new one, though the old ones should still work with no problems.

Anyway:
steve@kirkhammotorsports.com

Anybody else get e-mail bounces to us?

Steve Kirkham
Kirkham Motorsports
Kirkham Motorsports