Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2003, 11:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     
Default Kirkham thread on polished stripes?

I remember back quite some time ago, in either the World Trade Center donated car, or the Jenny car (I think), there was some discussion on how the Kirkhams did the ghost stripes on the polished cars. Anyone remember the title of that thread?

did some searches using Kirkham AND World, Kirkham AND Jenny, Kirkham AND Polished.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

TC

i heard you sold "The Hammer", that was a fine ride. I can't wait to see "The Ball Peen" when it arrives.

Hopefully I will have one in the works by the end of the year.

David
Old 03-21-2003, 06:27 PM
Senior Dragontamer
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

I don't remember the title of the thread, but I have seen Kirkham employees working on the stripes while there for a visit. The stripes are laid out with masking tape, then sanded in with progressively finer grade of scotch brite or sand paper for the desired look. The WTC car stripes were sanded in (ghost look), while Jenny's car stripes are highly polished. The polished stripes are taken a step further than the ghost stripes by hand rubbing with aluminum polish. David, Tom, or Steve, jump in here for further clarification.
Jeff
Old 03-21-2003, 06:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks U-2. Signed, TC, lowly A36 Bonanza pilot.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

TC, I'm very concerned about your lack of knowledge on stripe polishing and aluminum sanding. Since I should be receiving my Kirkham before you get yours, I will train you how to sand aluminum. It's really easy to do, but you will need a lot of practice. It should take about one entire car, before I can turn you loose to do your own car.
Please don't embarass me by thanking me or buying the beer(ok, maybe one case), the piece of mind I get from helping others is thanks enough.

Wax on, wax off. Paint the fence. Scotchbrite my car.

Get the picture?

HTH
Old 03-22-2003, 04:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Very funny, it's actually my detailer who will need the practice. Let us know the time and place

I will be busy do "side to side" and "up/down Daniel son" on my deck before long. Maybe you can come over and give me a few pointers on that as well. Bring brush. GeorgiaSnake insisted I do this before I am turned loose on his car for paint
Old 03-23-2003, 02:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/t20963-15&pagenumber=2

This was the thread I was looking for in case anyone needs to find it again.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike, from that thread, it looks like the middle of October '02 was our turning point towards aluminum.
Let me know when your ready for practice. I'm concerned that if I use both hands to polish my car that I'll get a mirror finish from my right side.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ACTUALLY Jim, PRACTICE on your car doesn't sound all that BAD right about now!! I love reading some old threads and posts, and you will also see that I told the Kirkhams my next car would be from them to support their charitable endeavors. I SOMEWHERE have the Autoweek article that was done on them YEARS ago, also Randy (GeorgiaSnake) was most kind and gave me the one issue of Car&Driver I did not have on the Kirkhams. I got the itch long ago, but experience and timing are key--not hat I used either one to get this beast. I can honestly say that Ebay fever got me off the dime, and in that sense, the Kirkhams are smart to use that medium. I am WILLING to bet, it got you off the dime as well [heck--it allowed you to steal a Cobra legally!!]. The support group within the Kirkham community so far is outstanding. Thanks Jamo, Computerworks, Kirkhams, SFCJ (that's you kiddo), etc.

If anyone has legal ties to Virginia, let's help BLACKJACK!!! He ain't asking for the help BTW, I feel someone on CC can make a difference.

Last edited by ToyCollector; 03-24-2003 at 07:09 PM..