Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2003, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP329 w/KC489 Shelby
Not Ranked     
Default Let's turn up the Heat in here

Well, someone must have left the door open and let the Dreamer sneak into the Kirkham camp and snap up old KMP288 (and it wasn't even on my list). Being the kind of person who can't leave well enough alone, I want to put a heater in 288 to extend my driving season. Fall in VA can be chilly. Who has installed a heater and which one did you use? My plan is to install a tonneau cover and insulate the Dickens out of the cockpit. Also, what is the normal height of the oil cooler, 4in or 6in? I know these premium cars cost because of the quality of the components, but the two sources for primaries and side pipes seem a little high to me ($1500). Being on a budget build (if you could call getting a Kirkham a budget build), I thought I would ask if there were some cheaper (most seem to run around $900) exhaust systems available. BTW, no CSX envy here, just glad to be blessed enough to be a Cobra (any Cobra) owner

Last edited by The Dreamer; 01-03-2004 at 05:32 PM..
Old 12-24-2003, 05:51 AM
GEAR GRINDER CUM LAUDE
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1560 w/ Ford Racing [RDI/AFR/RPM] Alum. 427CI - 575HP & TKO
Not Ranked     
Talking

Hey Dreamer,
If you would have bought the SPF, your problem would be solved, they come Standard with HEATERS.
Merry X-mas anyhow.
TL
Old 12-24-2003, 06:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham#182/Shelby 496c.i.
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Let's turn up the Heat in here

Quote:
Originally posted by The Dreamer

Being the kind of person who can't leave well enough alone, I want to put a heater in 258 to extend my driving season. Fall in VA can be chilly. Who has installed a heater and which one did you use? My plan is to install a tonneau cover and insulate the Dickens out of the cockpit.r
There's a piece of aluminum that's mounted on the top front of the tunnel that's wedged between the dash support tubes and the firewall. It's a tight fitting piece when carpeted so I never screwed it to the tunnel. You can crack it open a couple of inches and that exposes the engine compartment which in turn will transfer engine heat to the cockpit. While driving at speed, it does throw out some significant heat.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

ST, great tip. I will be finishing up reinstall of my interior and may do what you did.

Dreamer, did you get KMP259 from the Kirkhams? Congrats--what a present!!!!
Old 12-24-2003, 07:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Let's turn up the Heat in here

Quote:
Originally posted by The Dreamer

My plan is to install a tonneau cover and insulate the Dickens out of the cockpit.
ST kinda beat me to it, but I was going to suggest a lower cost alternative to the heater... just DO NOT insulate the cockpit.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Terry,

I like a challenge, the SPF was too easy .

ST and Computerworks,

Yea, I thought of that, but it is only half of a solution. Although VA Falls can be chilly, the Summers can be rather toasty. I'm looking to control the temperature (as much as you can in an open car)

TC,

I actually picked up the body and frame off ebay (from the Kirkhams) and I'm having them turn it into a roller. My wife is still calculating how many presents this will account for, but we are well into 2015.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:35 AM
Ed Digges
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #328 w/ 390FE
Not Ranked     

What a WUSS! Who needs a heater anyway!

Catch ya later
Ed
Old 12-24-2003, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ed,

You know this means when we do your engine install (and I WILL be there), I will have to insure your heater hoses are never connected. In fact, let me call Peter and delete it from your build list . Good luck assembling tonight.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Dreamer

I've had mine in the humidity of Ohio at the Fling, and 110F temps here in Fresno during the summer, and now I'm driving it on 30F misty days....

No additional insulation and no heater. The footbox air vent on the driver's side does a great job in the summer of moving some air around. During the winter days, I close it and stay pretty damn toasty with a good jacket. I've kept that firewall panel closed as well.

Why not give it a try first? I think you'll find it does just fine with the range of temps you expect.

Have a great build and enjoy it...ya got a good one.
Old 12-25-2003, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hmmmmmm Jamo, that's interesting. Maybe I don't NEED a heater, although Fresno has a dry cold (and heat), like when I lived in San Bernardino (same desert). Anyway, I will give it some more thought, but the Vintage Air compact unit was looking like the front runner as long as there was enough space under the dash.

BTW, any Kirkham owners at least know the height of their oil cooler (4 or 6 in)?
Old 12-25-2003, 04:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

Did the original street cars have heaters? If so, then it should be easy to install one in a Kirkham.

Just my guess....

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/