Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2003, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 351W Victor Jr intake Heads, 4.030 bore-4.170 stroke-Dish top piston, holley 750 CFM, Street/Strip
Not Ranked     
Default 427 for 39,900?

David, your cars are wonderful, I like to know if you are going to offer a 427 roller for 39,900?
Old 12-29-2003, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

David,

I can only say thank you for spending your advertising dollar's in this fasion. Fellow club member ToyCollector and Kirkham owner is about 10 miles from me and I've enjoyed viewing your work of art (Come on TC - make it a moving work of art!). I've read several requests for a hybrid over the last couple of months and it has surpised me to see this car still available. If I didn't have my Cont. parked thirty feet from me that 289(427) would be on it's way! Thanks again for your time & creation. Happy new year!

BTW, being 6'5" I was interested in any interior width differences between 289/427? Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by southernfriedcj

What the heck are you guys waiting for?? Someone buy this car! If David had listed this car as a no reserve car it would go in the high 40k's. Where is TC? He must be out enjoying the 65 degree weather. Or maybe he finally ran out of shop space.
Folks, this is a great deal. Having bid on all of the past hybrids on Ebay, and knowing what SFCJ stole his for, if I had not bought a new race car in the last two weeks, I'd be all over this. Then again, I have run out of space and money, and still need to finish my KMP plus something else Cracker, I went to fire it up on the 25th, seems my MSD box is a bad one.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

TC - I can at least relate to "I've run out of money" but it still is tempting! I have a spare 6AL box on my engine stand if you would like to verify that it is indeed your problem. Let me know.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony,

Thanks for the offer, replacement unit is enroute already. Also have one other minor issue regarding water temp probe I need to solve.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     

This car reminds me of my Hi-Tech car. 289 front and wide rear with 427 chassis. The square oil cooler is grafted in. It is a beautiful combination that raises questions with people that know Cobras.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:26 AM
GEAR GRINDER CUM LAUDE
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1560 w/ Ford Racing [RDI/AFR/RPM] Alum. 427CI - 575HP & TKO
Not Ranked     

TC,
I spoke with Steve K. a little while ago. He answered some of my questions, but I'm still uncertain.
I guess I would like to speak directly to you, or anyone who has purchased one of the Kirkhams before I take this jump.
Please email me at: tml427@bellsouth.net with a phone # that I may call, and a good time to talk.

TC, I know you had a SPF before, and that is my only comparison.

Jamo, I'll even talk to you - you "BIG" Gashole.
Thanks,
TL
Old 12-29-2003, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

Terry,

You are welcome to give me a ring. Please ask for me directly and I will be happy to answer any of your questions. I may be able to answer a few more questions. I am in the office right now.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 12-29-2003, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Unique FIA - SA 396 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Terry I saw TC's SPF and have crawled all over his KMP - it's no contest.

Randy
Old 12-29-2003, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Smile

Fellow Car Nuts:

Regarding what Brent Fenimore stated, “I have to admit the vehicle is a beauty {sic} however {sic} I must state that it is not a new concept. Carroll Shelby, Ken Miles and AC built several (26) of the 289 / 427 concepts back in 1964.”

According to the history I have read, I know of no 289/427 concepts which were built in 1964 with the 289 engine on a 427 chassis. The first 427 chassis built were CSX3001 and CSX3002. I believe the “several (26)” to which Brent is referring are the 427 chassis COB cars with 289 engines that were made at the very end of the 427 production in 1967—after the death of Ken Miles. All of those cars were “narrow hip” 427-bodied cars. The only "hybrids" I know of were the “Flip Top, or Turd”, (289 Chassis with an aluminum 390), and 3002, which was a 427 chassis, 427 engine, with a 289 FIA nose (of sorts) and a 427 “Competition” rear body work. After the Turd was built, (with a big block), and the potential of the vehicle was seen, I imagine Shelby had no compelling reason to place a smaller engine into any of the new chassis (427) vehicles. As time went on, the 289 bodied car ended up with fenders that were too narrow to handle the ever widening tires the racing world was demanding—hence the evolution of the 289 body to the 427 wider body. Shelby never had any compelling reason to place a 427 chassis under a 289 body that I am aware of. That said, I guess our car on ebay right now could most closely be described as a 3002 car. If I am incorrect in my history, please let me know—I will be the first to say I don’t know the entire history down to the last “nut-and-bolt” so to speak. (I would have to ask Thomas or Ron about that.)

Lowell,

Thank you for your kind words. I have to admit the ride in a 289 car reminds me of a buck board on Little House on the Prairie. Admittedly, that is why we came up with the 289 bodied, 427 chassis, or Hybrid, car. Great looks matched to great handling. I too agree this just might be the perfect vehicle for the 351 motor. (Actually, this entire idea was Dave Dralle’s. He bugged us relentlessly to make the hybrids and has an absolutely stunning yellow Hybrid in his shop.)

The 427 and the 289 are almost identical in size around the hood, trunk, doors, and cockpit. (We have even sold a hood, trunk, and doors to an owner of an old AC Ace who was restoring his car.) Interestingly, the AC car bodies evolved relatively little over the years. Most of the modifications were simply to put bigger tires on the cars, or to open up the nose for a bigger radiator to cool the bigger engines--while the difficult, and expensive, part of manufacturing the car was left in tact, (the body tubes around the hood, trunk, doors, and cockpit).

The foot boxes are quite different between a 289 and a 427 car. We use 427 foot boxes in all of our cars now as they make much more room for the engine and headers in a 289 car. (It is a popular modification done even on original cars.) The 427 foot box is actually smaller, so I am not sure why you thought the 427 was bigger in the cars you sat in--could have been the cars. As for room in the vehicle, the room will be the same between a 289 and a 427 for the driver and passenger. The room in the engine compartment will, of course, be much larger in a 289 car. We have done several “Jamo” modifications to the vehicle to make it more comfortable for the “Jamo sized” customer. We are even currently working on a dropped foot and pedal box to allow for more room, (and an adjustable brake bias)!

I guess we will continue to mix ‘n match, fiddle with this, and diddle with that—all in an effort to improve the car and bring more value to the customer. I would have to say it is my all-time favorite car as well. Nevertheless, we still offer an exact replica for the true addicts like Ron.

Many thanks again for all the kind words.

Please let me know how we can help you,

David
Old 12-29-2003, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Smile

Jackal,

We are currently running an experiment on the Hybrid vehicles. As for the 427 cars, we are not yet decided on what to do.

John,

Patience, grasshopper…patience. When the Europeans wave Euros in front of me, it is very hard to resist. Don’t worry, my wife wants one too so I can’t wait too long.

Cal Metal,

Thanks for the kind words.

JWheaton,

Originally, Dave Dralle made me do it...

The Hybrids are extremely popular right now. I don’t know why, but we have had several special orders lately. You have to make what the customer wants. We, of course, still make the 427 car for the guys who want it. When someone asks, “What is it?”, just smile and say it is “WAY COOL!”

Xlr8tor,

If you are dieing, I have the cure…

BT,

Looking forward to getting you all wrapped up in aluminum foil.

Sizzler,

I am a bum; what can I say? If you are really interested, I will go take a phote for you, no problem.

Brent,

Please say hi to Alan for me.

Terry,

We are here to tempt you…resistance if futuile…

Cracker,

Heck, if we have to spend advertising dollars, we might as well just spend them here on Club Cobra. We end up spending less and the customer ends up paying less. Everyone wins.

This car is only available because it was an experiment; we just finished with it. We don’t have any more in stock now. I think all of the future Hybrids will have to be special ordered. We are working on several modifications for the Big and Tall customers. I think everyone will be happy--shortly. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The interiors are the same between the 427 and the 289.

TC,

We will put you on a payment plan

Tim,

Thank you for your kind words.

Randy,

Thank you for your kind words.

David
Old 12-29-2003, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 351W Victor Jr intake Heads, 4.030 bore-4.170 stroke-Dish top piston, holley 750 CFM, Street/Strip
Not Ranked     
Cool David

Thank you for your response! I will be calling you soon.....

the light at the end of the tunnel might be a freight train comming you way
Old 12-29-2003, 11:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Terry Lee I am sending you my phone number via email.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA,302 Crate,Holley 600cfm
Not Ranked     

David:

do you take trades

Scott

HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE: This product contains minute electrically charged particles moving at velocities in excess of five hundred million miles per hour
Old 12-29-2003, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Joe,

That depends on what you want to trade.

David
Old 12-29-2003, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Terry...you have e-mail.

BTW, Cheerleader and I were also high school sweethearts...her brother and I played football together.

We just enjoyed our 30th anniversary.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I hate not having the money to take advantage of opportunities such as these!
Old 12-29-2003, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Smile

HIQ,

Don't we all know that feeling. Maybe we should introduce a buy-it-a-piece-at-a-time program. What do you guys think?

David
Old 12-29-2003, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

David I realize you have an outstanding cure for what ails me but unfortunately my HMO won't cover that right now.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 302 done, CSX289 comp body, leaf spring chassis to original specs...
Not Ranked     

David,

As you know, I'm all for the "buy-it-a-piece-at-a-time" program. You can count me in...

-John