Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2003, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Unique FIA - SA 396 Stroker
Not Ranked     

The tough part is which piece first.

Randy
Old 12-29-2003, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

You guys are going to kill me with all these options you want!

OK,

Give me until the Summit....ok, that's it. We will have a buy-it-a-piece-at-a-time option by then for you.

Oh no, what have I just gotten myself into...

Do you guys realize how many parts there are on a car?!?!?!

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 12-29-2003, 05:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 302 done, CSX289 comp body, leaf spring chassis to original specs...
Not Ranked     

On the first day of christmas my true love gave to me...

-John
Old 12-29-2003, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by David Kirkham

Give me until the Summit....ok, that's it. We will have a buy-it-a-piece-at-a-time option by then for you.

Call it the Johnny Cash Edition.
It was a '63, '64, '65, ......................Kirkham.

David thanks for the quick email response. Let me mull it over and I'll get back to you.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

HI David, Beautiful car. On the Hybrid is the gear selector in the 289 or 427 position?

Thanks

Gary
Old 12-29-2003, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Smile

Gary,

We place the gear selector in the 427 position. The 289 transmission originally had a very long tail housing. We do not like to use the long tail housing as it makes the drive shaft very short.

If you use the big block transmission, then the drive shaft can be the normal lengh and you don't have to worry about it binding up too much and wearing out prematurely.

The position of the shifter handles are very close and I have never had a problem using the 289 shift handle in the 427 hole by using the 427 shift linkage. Now, some people, I'll admit, want it in the EXACT spot as the original car--which is a little bit forward. We can place it where ever you want.

David
Old 12-29-2003, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Smile

Gary,

OOPS,

Thanks for the kind words. The car really is quite beautiful. I can't wait to drive one with an aluminum 351 in it that has been bored and stroked to 392, or 427. I think it would scare the pants off of Mario Andretti...

David
Old 12-29-2003, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA with Southern Automotive 351 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
You guys are going to kill me with all these options you want!

OK,

Oh no, what have I just gotten myself into...

Do you guys realize how many parts there are on a car?!?!?!

David

If at all possible I am planning on attending the Summit meeting and I too am interested in the "buy-it-a-piece-at-a-time" option. I am taller and heavier than most so the "Jamo" option is very important to me too! Is that option going to be incorporated into the Hybird car as well?

I definitely want a Hybird set up particularly if it has more room inside for us larger guys.

Thanks again for "listening" and giving us some very viable options with your cars.

Regards,

Terry C.
Old 12-29-2003, 06:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by David Kirkham

...We do not like to use the long tail housing as it makes the drive shaft very short.

If you use the big block transmission, then the drive shaft can be the normal lengh and you don't have to worry about it binding up too much and wearing out prematurely.
Boy do I know this one quite well .
Old 12-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow,

David, you guys always keep us asking for more - and the great thing is you somehow manage to give it to us. Congrats on a truly original idea. I hope one day to get the chance and meet you and talk cars with you!

Best Regards,

Keith
Old 12-29-2003, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

David,
That piece at a time has some merit to it. Many kit aircraft companies offer componant kits...body frame package , suspension package, electrical package, interior package, instrument package. You get the idea.
This is a very good way to sell a componant car. People can buy the package they need when they need it and or when they have saved up for it.

Hersh
Old 12-29-2003, 11:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello David,

I am sorry for the delay in getting pictures on the site depicting the 427 / 289 AC Cobra I mentioned on my earlier post. After review of my files I have found that I only have MPEG2 video footage of my visit to Shepards Race Facility from my last trip to AC. I will get with the web master and see if it can be streamed onto the site when he gets back from vacation this week end.

I was also mistaken in that after reviewing the audio portion of the file it was identified to me that 27 instead of 26 of the 289 / 427 hybrids were built.

AC is in review of the register on the COB numbers, I will post them as soon as they get back to me.

I did not intend for you to review the 2004 price increase to SAI on the post but rather wanted to know if it would affect the product in mention. I am still interested to know if the increase will affect this and other Kirkham products due to the fact that the body and frame assemblies are to be supplied by the Poland facility?

I am not trying to make this into a re-election issue but rather a validation that this is an accurate market study with all cost computed, with this in mind I have to ask if the exhaust system and paint job are included in the cost of 39,900?

If the issues mentioned in my last two posts (wheels, tires, exhaust and paint job) are included in the 39,900 and you can deliver an aluminum diff, radiator and half shafts for an additional $2,350 I would like to formally place an order for 10 of the units to be delivered to SAI with freight collect from Provo to Las Vegas on an immediate basis, please give me a call at the office in the morning to discuss the transfer of funds in accordance to your production schedule.

PS: Ken Miles and CS had a Ford 351 cu. in. engine for prototyping purposes long before Ford's release to the general public.

I have to admit I am not sure if I am kidding or not, but find it hard to believe you can produce the vehicle for the mentioned price.

Can we please compare apples to apples,

Happy New Year,

R Brent Fenimore

Last edited by brentfenimore; 12-29-2003 at 11:57 PM..
Old 12-30-2003, 01:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Brent - from where I'm sitting, I'm looking at a killer deal on Ebay that has ALWAYS been listed as a one-off marketing experiment. Any subsequent discussion about comparing apples to apples seems to be a waste of time - this is a one-off deal...

You are obviously smart enough to see that. If you're trying to say that it's not an apples to apples $42K comparo because the KMP217 doesn't have paint or pipes, I think you're missing the point. Many will agree that an unpainted aluminum bodied car is FAR more desirable than a painted glass bodied version.

You've gotta love competition in the marketplace !
Old 12-30-2003, 03:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Brent... not for nothin', as we say... but you ought to consider having conversations (like the above post) on the phone.

...where we all can't hear it....and remember what you said.

Do you have a Pompous-Lock key on your keyboard turned on?

Whatever AC did with COB and COX is mildly interesting, at best... but they ain't Shelby Cobras... there were only 2 "hybrids" made, as prototypes...3001 and 3002.

Have you even viewed the eBay listing that this is all about?

jeez. "...does it include paint?"

Please start another topic and tell us all about Ken Miles' 351.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Did I just read that SAI would like to buy ten of these in complete roller form for $42,250 ?

Lets see....... then ol CS could drive buy, sprinkle a bag of his chili dust over them...... thus transforming the posers into "real aluminum Cobras" and start selling them for $100k!

Sounds good to me
Old 12-30-2003, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

...a recent picture of David Kirkham:

Old 12-30-2003, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4039 427 FE 1966- SOLD
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by brentfenimore

Hello David,

I am sorry for the delay in getting pictures on the site depicting the 427 / 289 AC Cobra I mentioned on my earlier post.

I am not trying to make this into a re-election issue butR Brent Fenimore
Brent, I was gonna post the same thing as Computerwerks, until I read his post.
Fight all you want behind closed doors, but don't tell the patient that you are arguing about the way to treat the cancer. SHEESH!The car is a nice car for $40,000, but still needs a helluva lot of work to finish, in terms of money, man hours, and length of time until it's drivable. If you're gonna do something with the finish, you have to take all the stuff back off to either paint it or sand it consistantly. From what these forums say, it takes 400 hours to finish sand one of these bodies to perfection. Thats 2 1/2 months of sanding 40 hours a week. Then you get to put all the hardware back on.
Yes, it's $11,000 off list price if you just called up and ordered one. Don't have a cow about it. That's chicken feed compared to "paying yourself" $10/ hour to finish the car yourself. Let the Polish guys finish it. Aluminum dust is not to healthy to breath. Plus the fact that it is a one time offer, with the possibility of becoming permanent. Personally, I can think of a lot of other ways to spend hundreds of hours than sanding aluminum.
Back to decorum, when a manufacturer knocks or questions another manufacturer in public, it makes the ASKING manufacturer look bad, not the opposite.
Shelby Cobra's are known by millions of people on every continent on the planet. They truly ARE legendary. A few thousand people have ever heard of a Kirkham 427. Emphasize your strengths, rather than show your vulnerabilities.
You sound like Howard Dean.
Plus the fact, you were going to post a detailed explanation of the differences between a Shelby and a Kirkham a year ago, and never did, to my knowledge. Don't promise you're going to post something, and then don't.
'Nuff said.
Brett J. Bolte

Last edited by CSX 4039; 12-30-2003 at 07:57 AM..
Old 12-30-2003, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

"Please start another topic and tell us all about Ken Miles' 351."

LMAO - thanks Ron, that was good.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:10 AM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

Brent,
With all of the internal CAV production problems and everything changing at Shelby, how is it that you have the time to instigate disparity with the group that supplies your alloy bodies? You complain that SAI is the focal point of others aggressions but continually stick you foot out to trip others and wonder why they return swinging and you get punched in the head. You'd think after taking so many direct shots, the light would come on.
Sooner or later the decision will become apparent, either they turn your computer lights off or you will turn the lights off as the last one to depart Shelby American.

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."
Old 12-30-2003, 08:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kirkham RULES.

TT