Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2003, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     
Default Hydraulic t/o bearings-

How many Kirkham owners are using a hydraulic throw out bearing?

How did you fabricate the clutch pedal stop?
Old 12-30-2003, 09:27 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

Pat,

David and I are using a hydraulic throw out bearing. In our cars a .700 master cylinder does not have enough capacity to overextend the clutch. However to put in a stop would be fairly easy to do. My sugestion would be to due something similar to the bell stops on your brake master cylinders. To make it adjustable you could even thread it.

Call me if you have any questions.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

I know, I know what you are thinking,

But I am going to ask anyway. I am currently running a slave set up. I am now comfortable with saying I am expert (at tranny removal and change out of tranny (for those in the know, you know wherefrom I speak)), how tough is it to go from a slave setup to a hydraulic throw out? Can bellhousing be removed in car?
Old 12-30-2003, 09:40 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

Yes, the bellhousing can be removed while leaving the engine in the car. May I ask why?
Old 12-30-2003, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the quick response Tom.

I actually posted this question in case someone else was having a problem with the location/fabrication of a pedal stop because I came up with apparently the same solution as you have - I removed the bottom clutch master bolt and replaced it with a threaded rod that goes to the clutch pedal.

I was going to be a hero. Darn!

Do you guys have a list of things like this that you can give your customers so we don't have to come up with brilliant ideas like this on our own?

TC- the bellhousing can be removed with the transmission installed - you just have to kind of squirm it out of there.

Why? Did you find that space for the external slave was at a premium?
Old 12-30-2003, 10:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Pat,,, I'm fine, just my knuckle skin could use a break
Old 12-31-2003, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

I have been running a McLeod hydraulic T/O for about a year now in #142 without any problems.

Like anything else when fabricating these cars, the key is proper set up. Because I used a Wedge Engineering Cobra bell as original, a diaphragm pressure plate could not be used. Had to be very careful to properly calibrate the three finger pressure plate assembly, and then make sure McLeod had all of the proper information they needed to fab the T/O. Lots of thought given to keeping the lines out of harm's way, also. Clutch feel is fantastic, and I have not had the necessity to install a pedal stop. Very pleased.

The nice thing about my particular car is that the trans mount crossmember will detach, making removal of the trans from the bottom of the car fairly easy.

Bud
Old 12-31-2003, 10:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Question for Tom.

Hi Tom,
Are you using diaphram or 3-finger pressure plates or both types in the cars you build?

If using diaphram type, have you ran into any problems with these and/or setup problems on the hyd t/o side?

I ran a 3-finger pressure plate setup with no problems, and then tried a few diaphram pressure plates that did not work out as well for me; so I ended up changing back to the old school setup as a result. Should have just left my 3-finger in there to begin with and would have not experienced issues...
Old 12-31-2003, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pat,

What brand of bearing did you go with. TC you and I are the lone rangers, hope I don't have to do a redo

Gary
Old 12-31-2003, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gary -

I went with the MCloed unit. So far so good but then again I haven't started it up yet! The thing should be running by the end of the day tomorrow though...

Pat
Old 12-31-2003, 12:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Hey...

Hey Pat,
I ran the McLeod diaphram pressure plate, with the Tilton hydraulic T/O and a Lakewood bellhousing in my last car. Formerly used a RAM hydraulic too. I don't think I ever really got it set up quite right with the diaphram pressure plate - after multiple tries. At first it worked really well...then over time as the pressure plate and clutch disc started to wear in, I needed to re-adjust the gap/clearance setting pushing the T/O bearnig on the trans input collar closer to the pressure plate each time. Eventually, the T/O bearing had to expand so far to disengage the clutch that it would allow the Tilton seal to pop out. i.e. overdriven. I only tried the RAM and Tilton T/O bearing setups though.

Anyhow, I wished I would have just went back to the 3-finger style pressure plate for the hyd. T/O setup (requires much less travel to disengage like .050 I believe). When it was working, I liked how the hydraulic TO setup functioned, very much - smooth and positive action.

Let me know how it goes and if you decided on a diaphram or 3-finger setup. I hope to learn where I went wrong from your guys experiences with it. Thanks.

Last edited by decooney; 12-31-2003 at 12:51 PM..
Old 01-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham/Southern 427 SO finally on the road
Not Ranked     

I just got a look at this discussion on hydraulic T/O bearings. I'm using a Tilton 1" MC with a 1" slave. It does disengage, but it takes the left leg of Charles Atlas, and occurs just off the floor. I have a Centerforece II (diaphragm type) clutch cover. Would I be better off with the 3 finger style (that Parham wanted me to use!)? thanx steve
meltzer, "unencumbered by the thought process"
Old 01-13-2004, 04:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve,
If I had to do it over again, I wish I could have tried a 3-finger instead before I switched back to an external setup. I concur with Bill P. on this one. Good Luck. Duane
Old 01-13-2004, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default McLeod Hyd T/O bearing

Hi Pat,
I've been selling the McLeod hydraulic throw out bearing for years. If installed correctly, they are OK, but any leaks or failure requires transmission removal. Some cars with a x-member that isn't removable would require engine removal too. With all of the problems in the past, I've developed an external billet fork, slave & pivot assembly that I install on a Lakewood or McLeod bellhousing so it's complete and any service would then be external. Call me for pictures or any tech info.
Thanks,
Mike Forte
781-273-9900
fortesparts.com
508 875 0016
In 1993 Mike made the first conversion of a Ford Tremec to GM 5-speed. It bolts to stock bellhousings w/out an adapter. The FE Tremec, the Mustang adjustable quadrant are originals from Mike.
One of 12 Tremec Elite Distributors worldwide for: T-5, T-56 Magnum & TKO-500 & TKO-600 ,Midshifter, Frt shifter, offset Vette shifter.
Est: 1981 selling performance parts to build your dream car...
Old 01-13-2004, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Mike,

It is all in now and hopefully connected correctly with a pedal stop and the lines secured so with any luck I should have a long and trouble free experience!

Are you going to post some pictures in your gallery? I would like to see you setup.

Pat
Old 01-13-2004, 10:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Heritage body, built the rest..460 Toploader..9"
Not Ranked     

Hey guys...we all have something in common. I also had problems in the beginning with the McLeod setup with a Centerforce clutch. It blew seals, leaked at the banjo fittings and was about ready to put a C6 in it (not really). I also ran a large master cyl. If you remember some of the things we all probably heard, a large bore does not provide for more pressure, just volume. I went to a 5/8" master cyl, changed the banjo fittings to A/N 90' fittings and followed the measurement setup to the letter, and guess what.....it has worked great ever since. Smaller dia master cyl means more pressure, which means less effort. My master cyls mount under the floor, but behind the pedals so I used aluminum shifter rod available at any place that sells stuff for stock cars and threaded it to match the rod out of the master and heim on the pedal end which allows me to adjust how far it moves the piston in the master. Bottom line is...A.no more leaks..B. A five year old with a sore leg can depress the pedal, and C. no pedal stop.

Life is good.

John