Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2004, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile WANTED: KIRKHAM Garage Therapy Guinea Pigs

Gents,

As many of you stated, there are several issues which Kirkham has to deal with in order to sell a fiberglass car at a competitive price.

Kirkham has never really sold “a car in a box” even though several of you over the years have requested it. As such, we need some help to figure out how to provide adequate and pertinent information to our customers. We need help to write an instruction manual that customers can easily understand. In short, we need a few volunteers to help us with our project of selling cars in a box.

Now, this isn’t like the Army. Volunteering here will have its benefits.

We will sell the next 25 fiberglass cars for $24,999 each to the next 25 customers who send us a deposit of $5,000.

All we ask of the customer is that they give us honest, timely feedback as to the build and report any problems they encounter, (with suggestions for solving them). All mechanical abilities are welcome to volunteer as we would like a broad spectrum of customers to help us. The instruction manual will primarily be web-based.

The car will be virtually identical to the standard aluminum car we sell with some very important exceptions. We have deleted the fresh air system on the driver’s side and added it as an option. We have also deleted the oil puke tank and added it as an option. We have included vinyl seats as standard and added leather seats as an option.

BUT

It seems there were a few customers who were confused about our New Year’s Special and the parts which were included on it. To ELIMINATE confusion we have added in to this offer a differential, (Ford 8.8—we figured out how to get it in the original frame), CV jointed ½ shafts, radiator, motor mounts, (your choice 289 or 427), and gauges! In short, all you will need to purchase to finish this car is and ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION ACCESSORIES, SIDE PIPES, BATTERIES, PAINT, AND DRIVE SHAFT (to fit your tranny of choice). The car will be set up to take either a top-loader 4 speed or Tremec transmission.

The “box” WILL include, suspension, WHEELS AND TIRES, electrical, interior, windshield, steering, gauges, radiator, etc. The suspension will be our latest billet aluminum version with Wilwood 4 piston calipers and vented rotors.

Slots will be sold on a FIRST COME FIRST SERVE BASIS. 25 “cars in a box” will be sold at this price. Delivery of the kits will begin in 4-6 months from now so we can have time to make tooling and get the kits shipped here from Poland. Slots will be assigned according to when we receive the deposit checks. The first 3 places are already gone and I have verbal commitments for 5 more, but need deposits to hold any places in line.

Finally, as many of you know, neither I nor my brother grew up thinking we would run a car company some day. I would truly like to thank you, our customers, for your thoughts and advice you have given me on this new venture. Often times the advice has been heartfelt and it has not always been in the giver’s best interest.

Here is a link on exactly

WHAT'S INCLUDED

options, and what is not included. Click on the Fiberglass link on that page.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."

Last edited by David Kirkham; 04-30-2004 at 09:46 PM..
Old 04-30-2004, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 393 $27 S.O. bored and stroked to 482
Not Ranked     

Hi David,

My check should have gotten there today as I sent it overnite USPS yesterday. Hope you got my money and my letter.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2004, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Smile

John,

We did indeed receive your check today. You are number 3 in line. I have not read your letter as I have been COMPLETELY BURIED in emails, deliveries, and phone calls.

Glad to have you as a customer. I would love to hear from you soon with any questions.

David
Old 04-30-2004, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

Oi! Anyone want to buy a 1/2 built FFR for 25K???

Go David!
Old 04-30-2004, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi David,

Could you provide some information on how the body tabs to the frame? Is the body bonded to the frame (like ERA is setup) or can it stand alone such as a Contemporary. The reason I ask is that I would like to be able to farm-out the body to be painted, complete the rest of the build and be able to merge the two completed parts in the end, would this be possible?

Thanks

Gary
Old 04-30-2004, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA with Southern Automotive 351 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
As such, we need some help to figure out how to provide adequate and pertinent information to our customers. We need help to write an instruction manual that customers can easily understand. In short, we need a few volunteers to help us with our project of selling cars in a box.

Now, this isn’t like the Army. Volunteering here will have its benefits.
David,

I would be more than happy to volunteer to help you write an instruction/assembly manual...as placing electronic media (radio & TV), writing copy and doing voice overs are what I do for a living.

Also I hope to be one of the 25 that is able to take advantage of your "box offer". I'm just waiting to see if the offer on my spec racer comes through in enough time for me to take advantage of this terrific deal.

Regards,

Terry
Old 04-30-2004, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Smile

Gary,

The current plan is to have the body and the frame seperate. My engineers in Poland have already figured this one out. They say it will take 2-4 guys aobut 1/2 hour to take the body off. There will be no problem with sending the body out to be painted and working on the frame/chassis and suspension while it is getting painted.

The body will be bonded to the frame, but the frame will be able to come apart with slip-fit joints and bolts in various places. That way you get the rigidity of a bonded body, with the ease of removal of a free standing body. Makes assembly 1000 times easier.

Curiously, why are so many of our current customers interested in these cars? They are really not who I had in mind when we came up with this. (Not that I think that is bad, mind you. I just never really thought our current customers would be interested in this as they already have a car in the garage.)

David
Old 04-30-2004, 08:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     

I built my current car with a very poor, incomplete assembly manual and no Mfg. support whatsoever so this may be fun!
Old 04-30-2004, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Going once,
Going twice,

Last call.......

SOLD for $24,999!

Old 04-30-2004, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by David Kirkham

Gary,

Curiously, why are so many of our current customers interested in these cars? They are really not who I had in mind when we came up with this. (Not that I think that is bad, mind you. I just never really thought our current customers would be interested in this as they already have a car in the garage.)

David
I guess because your cars are so such fun and I like the way you do business

The truth my wife loves your car, wants one of her own, beauty without the beast.

I would like to build a street car with an EFI small block, undercar exhaust, 17” wheels, no problem if someone hits it with a door at the market.

I can't paint but I know a shop that can, if I get stuck with the mechanics, I can refer to the alloy car.

The alloy demanded an FE and Toploader. I feel I could build a proper English Roadster with your glass kit.

Gary
Old 05-01-2004, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC on order, 351c4v and top loader for power. And did I say that it will be Orange with white stripes?
Not Ranked     

Kountzy,

You haven't pulled the trigger yet???????????
Old 05-01-2004, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default FIA/slabside?

Hi David - what is the status of either an FIA or slabside version?

I think there may be strong interest in one of these, as a 289 is a lot cheaper to build than a BB and the correct motor for the body style. Also, for exisiting BB owners, it's something different - kinda the "matching set" concept....

Will the wheels be Trigo's?

Thanks,

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....

Last edited by luke-44; 05-01-2004 at 07:27 AM..
Old 05-01-2004, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by weekendwarrior

I would like to build a street car with an EFI small block, undercar exhaust, 17” wheels, no problem if someone hits it with a door at the market.

Gary
My understanding was that the doors of this model will be aluminum, and subject to dinging. At least the front top of the driverside rear fender will be more solid and less likely to crimp if a hand is placed there during entry/exit.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Smile

Bruce,

When we receive 10 deposits for the slabside, or 10 deposits for the FIA we will begin to build the tooling. We will begin the tooling as soon as we receive the deposits.

Currently we are using Trigos, but we will soon be making our own rims as well--all in an effort to bring down our costs.

David
Old 05-01-2004, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

David - any plans for a RHD version?

Any idea of European/UK pricing? Or do I have to speak with Gerry?
Old 05-01-2004, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

David:

As someone who was an early advocate of Kirkham producing a 'glass car (with aluminum components for proper "feel"), I am thrilled that you and Tom are taking this step.

If there is anything I can contribute to an assembly manual, please shoot me an email, and I will be glad to help.

All the best.

Jim
Old 05-01-2004, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Any chance of an aluminum body version of the complete car in a box?

Thanks
Eric
Old 05-02-2004, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Smile

Wilf,

I haven't thought about you guys on the other side of the pond. We DO make right hand drive cars. I will let you know.

Jim,

Many thanks for the kind words...I may just use you.

I never even thought about an aluminum car in a box...but I have been getting SEVERAL calls on it.

Thinking...

David
Old 05-02-2004, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

David

I would agree with Wilf that we are being ignored on this cold and damp little island - we need Quality Cobras at The Right Price! Please help.....mind you, having just returned from the National it Car Show at Stoneleigh, I spent most of today lusting after Gerry's blue aluminium 427. And listening to would-be buyers expressing total dis-interest in your wonderful creation 'cos "that one on the other stand's got a better dashboard". I feel sorry for people selling Cobras, it can be a thankless task.

Now if you were to produce an AC289 Sports model with rear-exiting exhausts at a price enjoyed by our cousins overseas, I for one could be prized away from my Caterham 7 ( a comment I noted a few minutes ago on a seperate forum ) as would any number of UK Cobra owners.

I was going to wish you success with your latest venture, but I think that will hardly be necessary.

Trevor Legate
Old 05-03-2004, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

David,
On your link about the box kit you estimate delivery at 6 to 8 months. Is that for general delivery or the guinea pig boxes?