Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2004, 06:59 AM
Ed Digges
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #328 w/ 390FE
Not Ranked     
Default The ULTIMATE aluminum cleaner!

I surfed the net last week in search of an aluminum cleaner. I did a search for "aluminum" and "oxidation". I found a few sites but one really stood out. It is a new product called ALUMA KLEEN by BioKleen. You can find it here:
http://www.biokleen.com/store.cfm/bi.../ID=227#browse

I called the tech line & actually talked to the chemist that developed the stuff. What I liked about what he said is that it will not hurt the aluminum and if I ever decided to paint the car the solution does not have any waxes in it. All you have to do is spray it on & let it sit for a minute. Next all you have to do is wipe it off or hose it down (I wiped it off). There is a great noticeable difference. I only got the 32oz size to test but it wasn't enough to get it the way I wanted to look. It will take a few times to get the color to look consistant and get rid of the drip lines.

If you have a sprayer that acts like an atomizer, that will be better and cause less runoff. I also ordered another gallon of the stuff. It removes grease marks & finger prints as well. After you have sprayed & cleaned the whole car once, I would suggest spraying some on a towell and cleaning the car that way. Way better than Windex.

One note of caution: Try not to get it on other metals. I let some sit on the gas cap too long and now there are spots. I suspect that I will just have to polish it.

I will post som pics later.

Later
Ed
Old 10-18-2004, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Ed

I'm thinking you have an aluminium/aluminum finish on your Kirkham body there?

Or are you using this on wheels and other aluminium/aluminum bits -

Have been using 'Aquasol' over here. Its a paste in a toothpaste type tube that is wiped on/rubbed and then polished off. It has cutting ability.

There's also a 'Chromebrite' in a yellow tin on a wool that is pulled out and used the same way. This latter is ideal once the aluminium/aluminum is cut and polished.

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 10-18-2004, 07:54 AM
Ed Digges
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bernie - Yes it is an aluminum finish but this stuff was made for snowmobiles! Go figure? You can use it on any aluminum surface. The nice thing about this stuff is that you spray on and wipe off. There is no rubbing what so ever. If a spot still looks bad then you just spray again. It also protects the metal from future oxidation. I'll have not yet seen that since I just started to use it. I also got the polish but that will be later this winter.

Later
Ed
Old 10-23-2004, 12:58 PM
Ed Digges
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The darker line in the front is the before. I put a piece of tape down before I used the cleaner. Big difference!

Later
Ed
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2004, 01:00 PM
Ed Digges
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

One more.
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Ed Digges
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The bottle.
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2004, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ed - just ordered some.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

Ed.isn't the gas cap aluminum also? chuck
Old 10-24-2004, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I thought it was chrome....
Old 10-24-2004, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Looks good. I have a lot of aluminium/aluminum in the interior.

I have used the CRC with a dish pad to take the harsh shine off. Guess this is the opposite to what the Sled Brite does. Would be good for my wheels etc. though.

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 10-25-2004, 05:09 AM
Ed Digges
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill - When you do yours, test the stripes. This stuff might take the stripes off. And I hope you bought at least a gallon. The one bottle was not enough. Missed you at the Grease Up!. You better show next week.

Later
Ed
Old 10-25-2004, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shell valley, all aluminum 540 ci chevy
Not Ranked     

I'll bet this stuff has acid in it. I have used diluted acid for years to "brighten" aluminum. Don't get it on anything but aluminum and don't get it in your eyes. -Bob
Old 12-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Ed, are you still happy with this stuff? What are the effects when you rinse and it gets on chrome, quick jacks, etc?
Old 12-11-2004, 07:52 PM
Ed Digges
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes I am very happy with this product. At first I sprayed it on the body and let it sit for 30-45 sec and wiped off. By doing this It left drip marks. I found that if you sprayed it on and let it sit for 5-10 sec & then wipe off did a lot better of a job. Do not spray directly on chrome. It will leave spots. If you wipe it off quickly it won't do anything to the chrome. This stuff makes the aluminum look brand new with little to no effort.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

R U Yella,

The cloth used to wipe, is it damp or dry? Do you keep ringing the cloth in water to dilute the solution as you wipe the body?

Thanks

Gary
Old 12-12-2004, 02:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4236 with a Shelby aluminum 427 "It's The Great Pumpkin"
Not Ranked     

could this stuff be used on a aluminum engine?
Old 12-12-2004, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT40 #45
Not Ranked     

If I had the bucks for a Kirkham, I would ask Kirkam if this stuff is safe to use on their cars.

I'm thinking it's a diluted acid as well. I've used something that cleans aluminum and removes oxidation in the past on my motorcycle engine. It worked fantastically! The only kicker was that the aluminum I used it on now oxidizes 10 times worse and 10 times faster now and you have to keep chasing after it with the cleaner (acid). I finally got smart and started spraying it down with WD40 after cleaning it and then wiping it all down. Now it still oxidizes, but at a much slower pace, but the WD40 attracts just that much more dust/dirt.
In the long run, I took a negligible annoyance and turned it into a major headache.
RCR40 #45 http://www.GT-Forty.com
Old 12-13-2004, 05:50 AM
Ed Digges
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would test it on the engine first but I would think so but you have to watch out for other stuff like chrome. It did a nice job on my gas cap that I had to re-polish. I do not think that it is an acid. This is something new on the market but was made to clean snow mobiles! I use a dry cloth to wipe up. It does nothing unless it puddles on the metal so if the cloth is damp with the solution it will do nothing. It also protects the metal from oxidizing.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

I would be careful about that product and I am very curious about the long term comments on it.

We use good ole Windex on our cars...but I am ALWAYS looking for something different and better to make it easier.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 04-28-2005, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Almac Cobra 427R
Not Ranked     

Looks like you need to buy some David - and put some on a piece of aluminium in the corner of the shop?